What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Unable to use MsgPlus Live! with 2 user accounts

Unable to use MsgPlus Live! with 2 user accounts
Author: Message:
larrybee

O.P. Unable to use MsgPlus Live! with 2 user accounts
I know this might already be in here, and I apologise for the inconvenience of another post about it, but I have a problem using MsgPlus Live! - it installs OK, and everything seems fine, but when I open a Messenger window and try to go to the Plus! options in the menu bar, it doesn't even exist.

I use Windows XP, and I run 2 user accounts on the system as my other half uses the computer. I've tried installing it on the other account, but it does the same. Yet, it's listed in the Add/Remove Programs applet and I can uninstall it properly.

Having tried the following:

installed to another directory on the system
used one account (it worked fine)

: I am at the end of my knowledge on what to do. So is there anything anyone can suggest? My thanks for any help possible.

This post was edited on 05-01-2007 at 12:43 PM by larrybee.
05-01-2007 12:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Unable to use MsgPlus Live! with 2 user accounts
Do you happen to use SmileyCentral or SweetIM? If so you will have to make a choice between that en Plus! as they won't work alongside eachother.

Also make sure Plus! is installed on the admin account (to be sure go into safemode and choose the account called "administrator") and that nothin is blocking writing to the registry when you do so.

This post was edited on 05-01-2007 at 01:51 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-01-2007 01:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tanbouz

I guess  the user account you installed the Plus with has limitation, try installing the msgplus with administrator account.
05-01-2007 03:41 PM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
Do you run Messenger from different directorys?

Then copy msimg32.dll to the other one which doesn't have it
4 8 15 16 23 42
05-01-2007 04:56 PM
larrybee

O.P. RE: Unable to use MsgPlus Live! with 2 user accounts
sunshine: no, I have neither of those softwares installed; tanbouz: both user accounts have administrator rights, and vikke: do you mean messenger as in MSN Messenger in a different directory to MsgPlusLive? I will try copying the DLL and see how I go with that...
05-01-2007 09:16 PM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
what vikke means is that instead of Messenger Being in the folder "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" is it in a folder like "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger 2"....if so you will need to copy msimg.dll across to the other folder or at least check it is there.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
05-01-2007 09:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
larrybee

O.P. RE: Unable to use MsgPlus Live! with 2 user accounts
Well, I've tried everything I can think of. I tried looking for the DLL file, with no success. Is the DLL part of Live Messenger or is it installed as part of MsgPlusLive? And I have MsgPlusLive installed onto a separate partition to Live Messenger - I prefer it as I know where everything is installed to then and I have more space for Windows - so could it be that that's causing the problem? I've had it working before, but it was with just my account on the computer.
05-14-2007 10:43 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
larrybee. Is your problem this?

-You run 2 Windows accounts
-You want to run only 1 Messenger session for each Windows account
-On one of Windows accounts MsgPlus can be used with Windows Live Messenger but on the other one, it can't be used.

msimg32.dll is Loader for Messenger Plus! Live and it is saved on MSN Messenger's installation directory when Messenger Plus! Live is installed. Other things related to Msg Plus! Live are in its own directory (default: Messenger Plus! Live). So if you move or delete it from that directory, WLM will start without Plus!. Check these please and also confirm that this is problem.

05-14-2007 12:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
larrybee

O.P. RE: RE: Unable to use MsgPlus Live! with 2 user accounts
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
larrybee. Is your problem this?

-You run 2 Windows accounts
-You want to run only 1 Messenger session for each Windows account
-On one of Windows accounts MsgPlus can be used with Windows Live Messenger but on the other one, it can't be used.

msimg32.dll is Loader for Messenger Plus! Live and it is saved on MSN Messenger's installation directory when Messenger Plus! Live is installed. Other things related to Msg Plus! Live are in its own directory (default: Messenger Plus! Live). So if you move or delete it from that directory, WLM will start without Plus!. Check these please and also confirm that this is problem.

Yes to the top two. The third one is a kind of. I had installed MsgPlusLive with one account, and when I created a second user (Windows) account, it worked fine. Since then, I have reinstalled Windows because of unforseen circumstances, and upon creating both accounts together, it hasn't allowed me to install MsgPlusLive properly.

I tried moving the msimg32.dll from the MSN Messenger folder to the Plus! one, and leaving it in both directories, and I've still not got it working. Where should the DLL be? and where should it not be?
05-14-2007 01:26 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I have no idea about what will happen to programs if you reinstall Windows on current Windows (without formatting).
quote:
Originally posted by larrybee
...and upon creating both accounts together, it hasn't allowed me to install MsgPlusLive properly.
So it seems your previous Windows accounts are deleted and you recreated them. OK. But what do you mean by 'it hasn't allowed me to install MsgPlusLive properly'. I think it means you run MsgPlus!Live's setup file and it can't be installed properly and (it warns you about the problem, eh?) If so, what is the problem?

Notes about msimg32.dll: It is Messenger Plus!' file but MsgPlus!' setup copies it to MSN Messenger folder. It must be kept there. Don't move it anywhere. I can't say anything about whether it mustn't exist in Messenger Plus! Live folder. But normally it doesn't exist there.

Did you reinstall WLM after reinstalling Windows?

Please state your WLM and MsgPlus!Live versions...
05-14-2007 01:44 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: