What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Can messenger use the LAN for comms when users are on the same LAN?

Can messenger use the LAN for comms when users are on the same LAN?
Author: Message:
gazzalarisa

O.P. Can messenger use the LAN for comms when users are on the same LAN?
Hi all, I would like to know if two users are on the same LAN is is possible for them to contact and talk to each other without actually going thru the MSN servers.? I ask this because we would like to talk to each other but the quality of sound via the MSN servers is really bad. This brings to to other question. Does anyone know of a voice chat program that can be used on a LAN that does not have a 1 to 2 second delay when talking to the other person?
10-25-2007 07:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Can messenger use the LAN for comms when users are on the same LAN?
If you are on the same LAN, it doesn't already go through servers (at least for voice or video conversations, and viewing webcams, I don't have any idea for only text messaging.). I confirmed this months ago by checking the ADSL modem's leds while making voice, video conversations with my friend on Messenger. There was only LAN access, but there wasn't an internet activitiy while we're talking (so it doesn't slow down your normal download or upload speed)
10-25-2007 08:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
As for text messages, yes, they should go through the server. All MSGs are sent to the messenger Switch-Board before being sent to their destination.

But like ahmetgns said, data is transferred over the LAN (unless, somewhere in the options, you've disabled the ability to create direct connections)...
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
10-25-2007 09:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I have just remembered a detail. As far as I know other communications except text messages are already being made directly IP to IP. So MSN Servers have nothing to do with audio or video conversations or, webcam viewing. The speed on your conversations depends only on your own and your friend's download/upload speeds.

If it were through servers, I think those servers would already be down   :P

This post was edited on 10-25-2007 at 06:36 PM by ahmetgns.
10-25-2007 06:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: