What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Skype » Skype Plus! General » Tabbed chat windows in compact view?

Tabbed chat windows in compact view?
Author: Message:
Random Person

O.P. Tabbed chat windows in compact view?
So... why is this feature not added here? It was in Messenger Plus for MSN. Not to mention there's a few programs lying around, such as:

http://www.windowtabs.com/
http://wintabber.com/
https://github.com/kekekeks/skypetab-ng

Problem is, the first two require payment for more than 3-4 tabs and the last only works for Linux. I'm just curious why Skype Plus lacks this. I dislike Skype's default interface and this would be a good step towards making it feel more like MSN with Plus.

Also, would anyone here happen to know of a completely free alternative?

This post was edited on 04-02-2013 at 07:06 AM by Random Person.
04-02-2013 07:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Tabbed chat windows in compact view?
quote:
Originally posted by Random Person
why is this feature not added here.
Skype forbids any modifications to its interface.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-02-2013 11:30 AM
Random Person

O.P. RE: Tabbed chat windows in compact view?
Thanks for the fairly quick response. I just tried out Window Tabs though, and it works, but with that 3 tab limit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qankla0uexcipid/skype%20tabs%20.png

Took longer to blur out those names than it should've D:
So why does this work then? And since it works here, what are the chances of tabs making it into Skype Plus, now that it's been proven to be possible?
I used the 'portable' version of the program, in case anyone wants to try this out themselves.

This post was edited on 04-02-2013 at 03:37 PM by Random Person.
04-02-2013 01:04 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
So why does this work then?
It is of course not impossible, but that doesn't mean it is according to the terms of the program which clearly states that no 3rd party may alter the interface in any way or form.
So, it is not a matter of it being possibe or not... it is a legal matter.
(see Skype Desktop API Terms of Use, especially part 4.2 paragraph viii and part 4.3)

This is also the reason why Plus! uses seperate windows instead of altering the existing Skype windows for its own interface, and for example for playing winks etc.

Maybe, if the terms change in the futur, or if they find another way around it, it may be done. But I highly doubt it will be done at this moment in time.

This post was edited on 04-02-2013 at 04:17 PM by CookieRevised.
04-02-2013 04:15 PM
Random Person

So they allow developers to enhance the Skype experience but they can't modify the interface. Yeah. That makes sense D: But still:
"Without the prior written consent of Skype"
Did anyone here ask them about adding any features?
Either way, it's arguable whether tabbed windows really modify the interface at all. I mean, taskbar items can already be grouped within Windows, and the tabs themselves aren't actually inside the Skype windows. Seems to be an entirely external experience if you ask me, one worth discussing, or at least asking the people behind the program about.

In any case, these terms specifically apply to usage of their desktop API, so any third party program that accomplishes the task without using it should be fine, particularly because it doesn't alter any of Skype's files in any way. I would imagine this would also mean that if someone were to write a small exe to tab Skype chat windows specifically, without using that API, and put it in with the rest of Skype Plus, it wouldn't be an issue... unless they specify program packages as a whole, or something.

Oh, and, this also raises questions about that Linux project that adds tabs to Skype. That's been around for a long time and nobody's taken it down or anything. Do these terms only apply to Windows versions of Skype, or is there some other reason? Maybe they didn't use the desktop API either (if they even have a Linux variant), like those other two programs, which would only prove my point further.

Let's not forget the fact that the other two programs I found don't have any terms disallowing their use with Skype. If it was really that much of a problem, surely Skype would've noticed their existence by now and forced them into modifying their programs to disable their use with Skype, yes? Windows Tabs has been around for at least a year, and Wintabber at least 3, so, if they haven't been modified by now, clearly Skype has no issue with either. There's no excuse for a company like them, especially under Microsoft, to miss coming across either of these for so long, no matter how obscure they may be.

This post was edited on 04-03-2013 at 02:55 AM by Random Person.
04-03-2013 02:26 AM
Random Person

http://my.opera.com/Aux/blog/2009/01/10/skype-tab...lopment-is-stopped

This guy says he'll pick this up again if there's enough interest. I know it's a long shot considering how long ago this was, but the guy still posts so... if nothing else, maybe he can release the source code or something for someone else to work on.
04-05-2013 05:40 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
So they allow developers to enhance the Skype experience but they can't modify the interface. Yeah. That makes sense D:
It sure does.
An API allows developers to add automation. You can do all sorts of things with it, without any need for changing the user interface. It makes perfect sense.

It is even the core of what an API stands for. An API is mostly and almost always about the inner workings of a program and automation, not about manipulating the user interface.

Also, it is not because something exists that it is automaticaly legal or according to the terms of usage of the thing it manipulates. And it is also not because something (still) exists that it is (not) known (refering to your last paragraph why MS wouldn't know about it). There can be tons of reasons why MS would choose to not do anything about it, if it is in fact illegal.

Either way, having tabs exactly like Plus! had in Messenger would be very clearly against the terms of usage.

This post was edited on 04-05-2013 at 11:31 AM by CookieRevised.
04-05-2013 11:30 AM
Random Person

O.P. RE: RE: Tabbed chat windows in compact view?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Either way, having tabs exactly like Plus! had in Messenger would be very clearly against the terms of usage.

Even if those tabs were implemented without using the API? These terms only seem to apply when developers use the API. More so to programs messing with Skype's files.

In either case, guess all that leaves is asking the Skype guys themselves for their "written permission", since that was also outlined in those terms. Does it matter who asks? I mean, I'm sure they'd give more priority to someone on the Plus team rather than a guy who only just started posting here a few days ago, but if it really doesn't matter I'd go for it.

Also, I do apologize for the harshness in that other post. I didn't intend to direct it at anyone here, least of all the one guy that was nice enough to give this topic a valued opinion, I'm just frustrated with the situation.
04-05-2013 01:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Even if those tabs were implemented without using the API?
yes, no change to the UI is allowed, no matter how you do it.
quote:
Does it matter who asks?
Yes, since the permission must be given to they who develop it, aka Yuna.
quote:
Also, I do apologize for the harshness in that other post.
No worries!

This post was edited on 04-05-2013 at 05:06 PM by CookieRevised.
04-05-2013 04:53 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: