What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Crash on Sign In

Crash on Sign In
Author: Message:
boffy

O.P. Crash on Sign In
Today for no apparent reason (other than uninstalling AVG) WLM started freezing as soon as it signs in. I do get a quick glance at the contact list before it locks. I have tried several different versions to no avail and I did a full uninstall each time (using the instructions on this site).

I can get it to work, for some reason that I'm not aware of, if I use Messenger Discovery but it seems full of spyware so I'd rather not.

Does anyone know of a fix for my problem?
12-18-2006 09:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
duck!

– / Male / Flag
RE: Crash on Sign In
What version did you first encounter this problem?
Messenger discovery live is not spyware it is an extremely buggy program
Messenger plus live installed?
by  a ful un-install do you mean going to c:/program files/ and deleteing the MSN messenger folder + MDL (messenger discovery live) + MP!L (messenger plus live)
Any patches installed at all, it can cause coruption in MSN messengers files.
QUACK QUACK QUACK

12-18-2006 10:57 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
are you using mess.be patch? or smiley central?
12-18-2006 11:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
Maybe too much scripts enabled???
12-18-2006 11:52 PM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
I got this the other day, do you have discovery installed as that was what was causing my WLM to crash
12-19-2006 07:28 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
I have a feeling it's going to be Messenger Discovery's fault. All I hear about it is errors and things not working. I installed it myself in an attempt to prove myself wrong. I didn't like it so uninstalled and now every time I start WLM, I get a message saying it cannot find the registry key to start Messenger Discovery
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-19-2006 07:59 AM
boffy

O.P. RE: Crash on Sign In
Sorry I wasn't clear on a lot of points.
1. Messenger Discovery actually fixed the problem but I'd rather not have it installed as it causes pop ups.
2. I'm using version 8.0.0812
3. I did install plus! to see if it helped but it did nothing.
4. When the crash was happening I saw no warning message it just freezes and has to be ended.

Cheers
12-19-2006 09:42 AM
H@t Trick

I am having the same problem.

Log in, which takes close to or greater than 5 mins, then see some or all the contact list load and then maybe receive a message from someone and then it crashes. I have sent a support request to MS but that was 3 days ago with no response.

What I did not tell them is that I use Messenger Plus! Live and Mess Patch. I am also using the Plus's Polygamy setting to run 4 accounts simultaneously.  I also had Messenger Discovery Live (I just removed it before writing this but it worked the first day I installed it, sort of, and then never loaded again).

This problem only occurs on one account, the rest have no issues and log in in less than 1 min, maybe a little more when logging in all accounts concurrently.

I tried deleting the Policies folder form Messenger's registry settings, no luck. I tried removing all the registry settings, no luck. I tried uninstalling WLM and reinstalling it, no luck. I did not uninstall Plus though but seeing as 3 of my 4 accounts work I don't see how this could have been an issue. I can log in to the offending account using Web Messenger but E-buddy doe not work for any of my accounts, maybe cause I use Mozilla Suite, not sure, and thats a different issue.

I tried msngeek.com's contact list rebuilder, first time it said my list had 41 errors and it fixed 40 of them and told me I should run it again. Second time it said my list had 8 errors and it fixed all 8. 3rd time no errors were found. So I thought maybe I had solved my problems. Go to log in and still takes close to or greater than 5 mins to log in, and it promptly crashed.

Any ideas?
Would it help if I take a screen shot of the information Windows sends to MS everytime it crashes and post them here?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Daniel

This post was edited on 12-22-2006 at 08:21 AM by H@t Trick.
12-22-2006 08:18 AM
Lourix

32 / Male / Flag
H@t Trick how many contacts do you have?
[Image: 202180054.png]
12-22-2006 08:28 AM
H@t Trick

RE: RE: Crash on Sign In
quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
H@t Trick how many contacts do you have?

Umm not sure 200 or 300 or more since I don't delete people. One reason I ended up with multiple accounts was the old limit of 150 contacts. But now I have separated social accounts form proefessional/family accounts.l

This post was edited on 12-22-2006 at 08:36 AM by H@t Trick.
12-22-2006 08:35 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: