What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Automatic away/return message when quickswitching in Windows XP ?

Automatic away/return message when quickswitching in Windows XP ?
Author: Message:
HornyToad

50 / Male / –
O.P. Automatic away/return message when quickswitching in Windows XP ?
hi,

is there a way to send a message to the chats windows when i press WIN+L in XP ?

i'm thinking something like the boss protection (for its autoanswer feature) or a "personalized away message" as Messenger goes in "away" status and then sends the "returned" notice when i log in again. Just liek when i doubleclick the boss protection icon in the tray.

What i would like to do is instead of having to press a shortcut key like (CTRL+F11 or alt+1) and then win+L or type up the /all brb text,

i'd like to have msgplus send it automatically if messenger goes into away mode while some chat windows are open. Also same thing if i'm away and someone IMs me thus creating a newchat window for them on my end, i'd like it to send the message to them aswell.

is there a way to do that with the current version ?

11-14-2003 06:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Automatic away/return message when quickswitching in Windows XP ?
I'm not sure about the shortcut... but if you could use WIN+L, then you couldn't use it anymore to log out in windows I think, unless you hook it... hmmm, maybe ...actually... nice idea ;)

Errrrrrr..... to answer... no it can't be done in current versions :D

But what you CAN do is setting a shortcut to an AWAY-state (with automessages).
Then the only thing you have to do is pressing that shortcut and pressing WIN-L
(so, this means typing 4 strokes on your keyboard, not bad I would say...)

This post was edited on 11-14-2003 at 08:04 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-14-2003 07:55 PM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
ya. u just have to get :plus2: to wait for the WIN+L command, and then do whatever u want it to (like "/all brb" or whatever). but i have no idea how to do VB or any of the programing languages (i'm a PHP guy), so i dont know if thats possible. but maybe.
11-14-2003 08:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Solution
Create a Quick-Text:

In the Message-box, you type:
/persostat 1
#/run rundll32 user32.dll LockWorkStation
#/close

Optional Alias: /SwitchUser
Check the box: "Shortcut automatically sends text"

Now you can type /SwitchUser in a chat or use the shortcut (ALT+<number>) to set personal status 1, go into the "switch user"-state and close the chat...

Ps: /close must be the LAST command, because after /close the rest of the Quick-Text isn't executed.

This post was edited on 11-15-2003 at 02:06 PM by CookieRevised.
11-15-2003 01:56 PM
HornyToad

50 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Automatic away/return message when quickswitching in Windows XP ?
the shortcut idea is what I do since the beginning, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, like I set alt+1 as /all brb and alt+2 is /all I'm back. or ctrl+F11 is the boss key shortcut that sends the away message to everyone i'm chatting with. So I ctrl+F11 then win+L, but sometimes I forget or the phone is ringing so I have to hurry.

But one simpler solution that would not need any user interaction would be upon status change, (I'm sure there's a VBevent that covers that) simply send the text from one of the "boss protection->configuration" texts to all chat windows. That's where I got the idea. its already all in there, just needs to be sent upon status change and not wait for user interaction. Forget setting system wide shortcut to win+l, its not needed if msgplus detects status changes.

Like, in the msgplus preferences, boss protection -> configuration, one of those predefined messages, could be assigned to each change in status, it already has all the requirements :

status (away, etc)
text when going in
text when going out

add more boss protection numbers not just 3, like one for each status or more.

so upon detection of change in status of messenger, cycle through these predef texts, find the one with the status that is the same as the current status and display the message to all chat windows as it does right now, without pressing the boss key first.

Come to think of it, the only change in interface we really need is a checkbox on that config window that says "send upon status change detection" so we can have as many away messages as we want (like now) but only one can be set for auto-away.

And when I come back online (ie : switch back to my opened session), it would send the text just as if I had double clicked the bossprotection icon.

the trick is to detect changes in status, but msgplus already does that by showing the away dialog box when I manually change the status.

ok, long story short: upon status change detection, to all open chat windows send a predefined boss protection text for that status, and if status = online, send "text going out" from the previous away message's.

lol, ok well i hope it helps developpers understand my suggestion a bit better,

keep up the excellent work guys and gals,
HT

This post was edited on 11-20-2003 at 10:56 PM by HornyToad.
11-20-2003 10:51 PM
HornyToad

50 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Automatic away/return message when quickswitching in Windows XP ?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Solution
Create a Quick-Text:

/persostat 1
#/close

Now you can type /SwitchUser in a chat or use the shortcut (ALT+<number>) to set personal status 1, go into the "switch user"-state and close the chat...

Ps: /close must be the LAST command, because after /close the rest of the Quick-Text isn't executed.

sounds like a plan, just gotta get used to pressing another key combo than Win+L

But i still would like msgplus to do the boss protection thing automatically.

thanks for the info.

edit: small problem: the #/close command and /close command cause an error saying "sorry this command is not recognized. if the text was not supposed to be a command type // at the beggining"

what is the right text to type  ? it does the rundll command, it switches to the login window, but this msg appears right after.

This post was edited on 11-20-2003 at 11:15 PM by HornyToad.
11-20-2003 11:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Strange, it works for me...
11-21-2003 11:18 PM
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by HornyToad
edit: small problem: the #/close command and /close command cause an error saying "sorry this command is not recognized. if the text was not supposed to be a command type // at the beggining"
Old thread i know but it's happening to me with some plug-ins aliases sometimes :P (the Quick Text 2 plugin for example :P)
02-17-2004 12:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
HornyToad

50 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Automatic away/return message when quickswitching in Windows XP ?
quote:
Originally posted by HornyToad
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Solution
Create a Quick-Text:

/persostat 1
#/close

it works fine after all, you're a genius Cookie :-), i found that i can even type some text before the /persostat command, like "brb 2mins" to announce it.

quote:

what is the right text to type  ? it does the rundll command, it switches to the login window, but this msg appears right after.

Here's the answer : just have to make sure there's no extra carriage returns or spaces after the command #/close , that was causing the error.
HT
08-28-2004 07:51 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: