What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » No thanks, we don't need people adding themselves to our credits-list!

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
No thanks, we don't need people adding themselves to our credits-list!
Author: Message:
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. No thanks, we don't need people adding themselves to our credits-list!
Hi Patchou & Staff,
This fellow named Anders Madsen (a.k.a. X-ray/MarZie) has apparently submitted his own version of the Danish language file where he's added himself to the list of Danish translators on the About-window of Plus!, though he isn't actually a translator.

I've attached the appropriate version of Lang_Danish.ini to be included in the next release.

Regards,
Anders Nielsen
Danish Translator

.ini File Attachment: Lang_Danish.ini (92.87 KB)
This file has been downloaded 489 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-24-2003 at 07:57 PM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
11-24-2003 03:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: No thanks, we don't need people adding themselves to our credits-list!
Update:

I now understand how he managed to get his name on the list.

In this thread
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=18389
where Patchou required a few extra lines to be translated, MarZie posted an updated version of the language file with himself added to the list.

Oh well, suppose it's gonna be fixed now. :)

//////////Anders\\\\\\\\\\\\

This post was edited on 11-24-2003 at 07:22 PM by ZrednaZ.
11-24-2003 04:30 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
RE: No thanks, we don't need people adding themselves to our credits-list!
Hi!
I'm the guy that anders_nielsen is taking about.

I'm sorry if I have made someone really mad. But, I have only added what Patchou told my to do (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=18389), I have never, and I mean NEVER canged the content in the lang_danish.ini file.

And according to Patchou, I'm I a danish translator, I get the emails, and the trans-betas of Messenger Plus!

Then again, i'm sorry if I have made somebody mad, it was not the idea.

I will like to hear what Patchou and the rest of the staff, thinks about this.

Update/edit:

The new post, above ^^, yes I added my name, but I did'nt changes the others names, I "only" added the name: "A. Madsen", and yes i posted the entire *ini file, with the 2 new lines and my name.

This post was edited on 11-24-2003 at 05:28 PM by x2zen.
11-24-2003 04:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kian

41 / Male / –
[bla bla bla]

The point is that if it is possible for everybody to change the ini-file the translation-group would be pretty fuc***-up if something that shouldn't be written in the file suddenly are available for download.

I have asked Patchou to update the maillinglist or somehow make it a bit smarter, like every time a new member wants to join a translation-team he has to contact the current team. I don’t think he reflected that much as he should have but anyway… (the last part of this letter)

My own and the teams opinion is that we don't need a new translator and if we are meant to keep the translation in a language that is fluent (so that it is not possible to see that five translators has been working on their own part), we don't want to get stuck with a new translator.

I don't think its fair just to send out an announcement 'I need translators' cause problems like this are exactly what happens - people thinks they are translators - just because they have signed up. We have told Marzie that we don't need people and thought that he accepted that.

Let’s say that this clever boy has overwritten a language-file that we just had mailed to Patchou - just because he wanted his own name at the list! It would be terrible to se the consequences and of cause the team would be the one to blame...
As long as we do not have any kind of contact with the people who calls themselves translators it is almost impossible to be sure about which lang-file is the right one.
No one really knew about his ‘stunt’ before I saw it today – actually I was a bit afraid about the ini-file (you know something is about to slip and you cannot control it)

The problem can be solved in many ways. I prefer that Patchou keeps his mailinglist updated - keep in touch with the translators: if they have any new users to add or old users to delete they just mail him a note, and if any topics like 'I am a translator' or 'I have a new lang-file' and with an unknown ID pops up in his eMail-client, I think that it would be a great idea to contact the translator group and ask if they know him and what to do…

// Peter
Danish Translator

Sorry about my gramma etc – this letter was written in a hurry

This post was edited on 11-24-2003 at 07:40 PM by Kian.
lets get one thing straight - i am NOT
11-24-2003 05:33 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
Well u might know the members on ur team and u can always verify if someone has done something like that. then u can inform Patchou and remove him from the list..
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
11-25-2003 01:05 AM
Kian

41 / Male / –
I have asked Patchou at least two times to update the mailinglist (nothing happens). Translators who wants to be removed are still getting mails... *sigh*

And yes. I know the name of the translators in my group - but I just don't want to sign a translation that has been modified before I have seen it - that’s pretty simple and thats the fact.

Anders Madsen (aka MarZie) has changed the file even though we have told him that we don't need translators. And - well - that makes me pretty angry - I will not, and I cannot stretch this enough, put my name on something which I haven't been able to look at. I know that it is the translator-team that will be blamed if the translation has been modified and changed into a poor piece of shit... not Marzie

Imagine this:
Deadline 2400. the new translationversion of Plus! 2.0
The Danish Trans-team sends the new update at 2330.
15 minutes later - 2345, MarZie sends his own update without mentioned it at all... just because he wants to add his own name. This is the silliest scenario and I just don't want to let this happen as long as my name is on the credit-list.

And if you ask me about if I think it is rude to add his own name, resend a new translation-file to Patchou, my answer is yes.

This kid has nothing to do with this translation and nor will he if I have to decide.

My point is still: if a guy wants to be a translator he should contact Patchou and the he should contact the current trans-group or just redirect the guy to the transgroup.
Its too easy just yealling out 'I need translators - anybody?'

Anyway we said that we would contact him when we needed one... but I guess, I guess, that he has just blown up his own chance...

(*grrr* I just hate when people do stuff like that - sorry about my langauge but this stuff really makes me angry)

// Peter
Forget about my gramma - its gone - just like I should have been 3 hours ago (its 0232)

This post was edited on 11-25-2003 at 01:35 AM by Kian.
lets get one thing straight - i am NOT
11-25-2003 01:32 AM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
I agree with dingemann in the fact that the Patchou's translator lists should be updated. In spanish-spain, more than the half people on the list doesn't belong to the current translation team from long time ago :-/
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
11-25-2003 07:53 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: No thanks, we don't need people adding themselves to our credits-list!
quote:
Originally posted by dingemann
......has changed the file even though we have told him that we don't need translators

What part of this: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=18389 , dont you understand?

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
and I don't want to bother the official translators for that. Please post the translation for this line in your language
If you want to save me some time, please post your updated language file directly

And so i did!!

He says that WE should update the language file, and NOT the translations teams. So why can you be angry?

quote:
I will not, and I cannot stretch this enough, put my name on something which I haven't been able to look at.

Patchou has NOT said anything about we should send the file to you. So how can you be angry?

quote:
I know that it is the translator-team that will be blamed if the translation has been modified and changed into a poor piece of shit... not Marzie

I have NOT changed or modified anything, only what Patchou ask for.

This post was edited on 11-25-2003 at 12:10 PM by x2zen.
11-25-2003 12:08 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I understand and agree with dingemann fully...

The thing is... A translation isn't about translating some loose words and sentences... This time it was only 2 small things... But, it still has to be consistent with the rest of the translation

Although, I have to say, I'm glad that *couch*spamming*cough* Tochjo (no offense ;)) reacted and translated the lines in Dutch (although he's not an official translator). Otherwise, the Dutch translation wasn't up to date because I missed the request as it was only announced via the forums...

As almost all translation are matured by now, it is dangerous to request small updates to non-offical translators. (even how good the intentions and translations might be...)

Oh well... Nothing really dramatic happend, so...

PS: I speak for myself, not for the other members of the Dutch-translation team... (but I hope they think the same...)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-25-2003 12:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: No thanks, we don't need people adding themselves to our credits-list!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
As almost all translation are matured by now, it is dangerous to request small updates to non-offical translators. (even how good the intentions and translations might be...)

Exactly. Next time, Patchou, please don't hesitate to contact the official translators by e-mail.. ;-)
I usually only check the forums once every two weeks or so.

quote:
Originally posted by MarZie
I have NOT changed or modified anything, only what Patchou ask for.

So what you're saying is that Patchou told you to add your name to the credits list?
I must have missed that part.

//ZrednaZ

This post was edited on 11-25-2003 at 03:21 PM by ZrednaZ.
11-25-2003 02:48 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: