What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Language Downloader suggestion

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Language Downloader suggestion
Author: Message:
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Language Downloader suggestion
Good idea, don't know if Patch would do it though ^o)  Too much hassle... for something not many people will use
01-16-2004 07:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Language Downloader suggestion
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Good idea, don't know if Patch would do it though ^o)  Too much hassle... for something not many people will use
Wait, every non-English-speaking user would use the feature and, I repeat I can do the tool. For security, doesn't the hosting provider give you the posibility to configure a directory as private and set several users and passwords to access it.
Anyway we'll need an uploader, unless Patchou wants to constantly upload them manually.

But I think you're right...
01-16-2004 07:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Or there could be a extra page on these forums with all the languages listed with there version number/update date/and link to a thread where it is discussed.... all this maintained by 1 person, then the translators must upload/email/send/whatever their file to this person...

Kind of an extra thread, where that one person can delete post (for like example if a translator posts a language and the languagelist-maintainer can copy file into the toppost-list)

Blah... I don't explain it to well I guess, anyway...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-16-2004 08:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
With a PHP script we could actually edit the file that is online directly.
Hey guys I can some PHP and would be proud of helping the translators communuity
If Patchou accepts the idea, I could build it within this weekend!
if you do it, remember it must support ansi and unicode formats for the Lang_*.ini files and also it sould support complex characters from complex languages like chinesse (and it you can do it (i wasn't able) it should support RTL languages)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Or there could be a extra page on these forums with all the languages listed with there version number/update date/and link to a thread where it is discussed.... all this maintained by 1 person, then the translators must upload/email/send/whatever their file to this person...
I can do that. Should I post a thread in Translation with the details?
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
01-16-2004 11:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
Sorry I came up so late, I wouldn't mind to help either.

And that thing... I don't know very much about all those formats, but I hope that, if HTML can, we can :D ! (Hopefully there are conversors on the net at least for PHP...). In that case perhaps, two weekends. :P

Anyway, Cookie's idea seems more feasible...

Let's ask Patchou, if none did yet... which I doubt (all you Forum Masters)

But the idea with the private page isn't bad
01-17-2004 12:09 AM
frog

=^-^=

– / Male / –
sorry to bring up such an old thread:P

this should be a must in all future msgplus's cause it would shrink the download time and bandwidth emensly... if you get what i mean

and no-one uses every language file anyway, so i mean, this basically in my opinion is a must for all mp users.... and it would be excelent if it was emplemented in mp3.

also there are members willing to help out..... so it wont be too much of a hastle will it now?

bob
04-21-2004 11:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
Yes yuo're right, its still a good idea ;)
But the problem is that someone should have to do all that work. Probably MenthiX, the Translators-DB admin.
Programming the feature isn't very hard and has some sense (imo), so I'm happy this suggestion has been pushed up again :)

What I thought, if Choli doesn't care and has some spare time, is to distribute among all translators a special version of his Translator app that would upload the new/corrected file directly to the server. In that case, for safety, each copy of the Translator should be personalized with the nick of the owner and add it as comment in any translator file created with it to detect leaks immediately (hope you got my point :undecided:).
04-21-2004 12:53 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I still need to make up my mind about how/what to update on the Translation DB, but i am very much intrested in your suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
With a PHP script we could actually edit the file that is online directly.
Hey guys I can some PHP and would be proud of helping the translators communuity
Atually, i should already have that somewhere. The translation DB was written this way orriginally. But it was at the biginning of v2.0...
- Everything was hosted on my own PC those days, the script was to complex to garantee it stable on my slow pc/low bandwith.
-  I didn't want to delay 2.0 because of any possible problems.
- It needed more testing.
So we dropped the whole thing and only left the mailing script/admin panel. But i still have it, maybe it's worth trying/testing it again :o.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-21-2004 01:09 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
So we dropped the whole thing and only left the mailing script/admin panel. But i still have it, maybe it's worth trying/testing it again :O.

There's sadly not much time left now, again :(
Well... we can test it to have it working it for further 3.x versions. That'd be great :).
MenthiX remind Patch of this idea.
04-21-2004 01:28 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
There's sadly not much time left now, again
True, i was planning on some minor changes but i skipped those too (another problem slowed things down).

But there will no doubt be other updates, i hope to see a major release of 4.0 once :). I think the best thing todo is that i make a list of things that i have in mind and were already suggested here on the forum and mailed to me. Then i could put those in a new topic together a little more info and discuss what could be done and what shouldn't be done, because i'd like to hear what the translators think about it before i make any major changes, after all, they are the one who need to use it.

Just a few things that could be done:
- Making it easier for Plus! users to report a error in a translation.
- Allowing translators to change their emailadress (and maybe more) themselves.
- Allow translators to see a list with the details of others tranlators in their group.
- What is mentioned in this thread.
I believe i already menioned things like this in another threas, as you see, i still think the same :). But i'll need time to do it too.

When i have a list i can ask Patchou what he thinks about it too.

This post was edited on 04-21-2004 at 01:49 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-21-2004 01:40 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: