What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » RSS newsfeed to nick?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
RSS newsfeed to nick?
Author: Message:
zyfgrea

O.P. RSS newsfeed to nick?
I don't think anyone has suggested this yet, but it would be really cool to have an RSS news feed as your nickname. I don't know if this is possible because the RSS feeds are dynamic so maybe you'd have to download it to a buffer file or something and then make that the nick. Is this possible and if so is anyone willing to make a plugin for it?
02-01-2004 02:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
LeCastor2001

RE: RSS newsfeed to nick?
It's like Song2Nick, but instead of checking media player's now-playing song, just check a RSS file...

Wouter ? :)
02-01-2004 03:16 PM
zyfgrea

O.P. RE: RSS newsfeed to nick?
That's exactly what I had in mind
02-01-2004 03:17 PM
optimism_

Ctrl+Alt+Del - Tragically l337

37 / Male / –
RSS is an XML document then right?

surely it aint at all difficult to download an RSS file, parse the XML and extract the info you want for a nick..
HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found
02-02-2004 10:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
thats the point of XML ;);)

i'm sure it could be done... but i dont know any useful languages, so i cant help/ sry
02-02-2004 11:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
stooge

– / Male / –
What is meant by RSS?? can anyone explane me?
02-03-2004 02:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html
RSS is a format for syndicating news and the content of news-like sites, including major news sites like Wired, news-oriented community sites like Slashdot, and personal weblogs. But it's not just for news. Pretty much anything that can be broken down into discrete items can be syndicated via RSS: the "recent changes" page of a wiki, a changelog of CVS checkins, even the revision history of a book. Once information about each item is in RSS format, an RSS-aware program can check the feed for changes and react to the changes in an appropriate way.

RSS-aware programs called news aggregators are popular in the weblogging community. Many weblogs make content available in RSS. A news aggregator can help you keep up with all your favorite weblogs by checking their RSS feeds and displaying new items from each of them.
quote:
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/rss/intro/
Really Simple Syndication (RSS) is a lightweight XML format designed for sharing headlines and other Web content. Think of it as a distributable "What's New" for your site. Originated by UserLand in 1997 and subsequently used by Netscape to fill channels for Netcenter, RSS has evolved into a popular means of sharing content between sites (including the BBC, CNET, CNN, Disney, Forbes, Motley Fool, Wired, Red Herring, Salon, Slashdot, ZDNet, and more). RSS solves myriad problems webmasters commonly face, such as increasing traffic, and gathering and distributing news. RSS can also be the basis for additional content distribution services.
02-03-2004 03:29 PM
stooge

– / Male / –
Okay, thanx for the explenation.
02-03-2004 05:31 PM
bemeall

Down Under!

– / Male / –
While I was searching for a solution like this on the internet I came here. I'd like to display a line from an rss feed in a chat conversation on typing a commando. This file is located on my own harddisk if that could make it easier.
I think this topic points a bit in the same direction, so I give it a little kick right now, maybe someone has found something or has some ideas to realise this.
12-15-2004 09:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
umm like a random line out of the rss feed or what could you attach a copy of an rss feed that you would like to extract your name out of
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
12-16-2004 03:20 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: