What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Euthanasia Whats your view

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Euthanasia Whats your view
Author: Message:
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. Euthanasia Whats your view
Well i think i spelt it right it's a controversial thing but something myself I believe in

Wots your opinions?
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
02-19-2004 05:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Euthanasia Whats your view
I'm from the Netherlands, and that's a country that goes very far in legalizing things like this. When correct procedures are followed (thorough talks with patient and family/friends, a different doctor has to give his opinion etc.), it is legal to let a patient die, if his suffering seems unendable (no hopes for reasonable medical recovery).

I totally support this. Someone mentioned in the thread about suicide that life was a gift, and not a given right. I didn't want to go in discussion about that here, but I disagree with that comment. I see my life as a right: it is my choice to do with it what I want to, even if that includes death. The way it was said in the other thread made me think of obligations: I gave it to you and now you're stuck with it, no matter what. I don't understand that; don't want to accept it.

From my point of view, I think nobody should commit suicide. I'm a teenager myself, and have never considered it. I like my life, though it isn't very spectacular. But does that mean that it's not worth it? Life can be what you make of it. And when you've made the best of it, and somehow ended up with an untreatable disease, I think it's more than acceptable if you want to end it in a way you seem fit. I haven't thought about euthanasia for myself very thoroughly, but I can imagine that, if my life should end up like a worst-case-scenario, I'd consider euthanasia.

I don't say that this is now the way we should all end, and of course, strict rules have to apply for things like this. But I'm in favour of the possibility.
02-19-2004 06:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
As long as it’s official and very carefully decided and treat with respect…I'm for it…

This post was edited on 02-19-2004 at 06:05 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-19-2004 06:04 PM
tomfletcherman

35 / Male / –
Well they make divorce difficult cos that can be a big decision, so why not euthanasia? If someone wants it bad enough they should have to go through some sort of process. The government in britain should allow it.
02-19-2004 06:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
ewll they're old

sometimes suffer a lot

let them stop suffering :-/
02-19-2004 06:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
I don't see the point in suffering to death when nothing can be done against it. Even if there'd be a solution. If one has to suffer so much pain to want to better die... I mean... It's completely reasonable.
I'm for it.
02-19-2004 07:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
I'm not sure, but the decision most likely must be one-sided.
It is not taken by the patient himself/herself.

The family doesn't know exactly whether the patient wants to die ("stop suffering") or not.

I think euthanasia should not be done unless the patient's family cannot afford the treatment fee, nobody could help the patient, and nobody cares about him/her.
Registered 7635 days, 23 hours, 17 minutes, 24 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

02-19-2004 07:23 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thekid
I think euthanasia should not be done unless the patient's family cannot afford the treatment fee

When it comes to living, money should never EVER be an issue, everyone should have the right to live. If a family can't afford to keep someone alive, and no-one can pay for it, that is disgraceful. It just shows what a materialistic world we have come to live in.

However, this just goes back to a question of suicide, everyone has the right to live, and the right to die.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
02-19-2004 07:54 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
When correct procedures are followed (thorough talks with patient and family/friends, a different doctor has to give his opinion etc.), it is legal to let a patient die, if his suffering seems unendable (no hopes for reasonable medical recovery).
(Y) I think it's OK as long as some procedures like those are followed. Someone might want to die when they're going through a bad time in their life, but if they stay alive, things will get better. :-/
02-19-2004 08:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I'm not sure, but the decision most likely must be one-sided.
It is not taken by the patient himself/herself.

What? In most cases the decision MUST be taken by the patient himself/herself... If he/she doesn't agree then the formalities aren't done, and authansia can't be performed...

There are exceptions on this very important rule; When the patient can't decide for himself anymore. In this case, there must be a written, official approval of the closed family, house-doctor, several other doctors, and sometimes a judge. This process takes roughly 3 months!

Euthanasia is a form of suicide, not murder!!! If the decision is taken like you said, the doctor who "unplugs the plug" is sentenced for murder.
quote:
The family doesn't know exactly whether the patient wants to die ("stop suffering") or not.
In most cases, they do!
quote:
I think euthanasia should not be done unless the patient's family cannot afford the treatment fee, nobody could help the patient, and nobody cares about him/her.
That's just the kind of think hospitals will NOT do. Some taxes we (your parents) pay are for this kind of situations. It's called health care...

Rules are different in different countries. But in the countries where euthanasia is legal, the rules are always almost the same...

This post was edited on 02-20-2004 at 12:57 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-20-2004 12:56 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: