What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Will's Launch MsgPlus Script

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Will's Launch MsgPlus Script
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Will's Launch MsgPlus Script
Be very carefull with this kind of script!!!

Only use it if you are an experienced user and know exactly what you are doing and what is going on and how Plus! works and what it is doing in memory. I say this in general because there could be people using this and then complain that certain things wont work anymore...

(for example MSN Messenger starting automaticly up, then Windows Messenger starts up because you open Outlook for example, then you use this script, things will go wrong... Or if you don't set up Plus correctly (force startup) or if you don't know how to alter the registry (to delete Plus from the run-key))

The script-method (this or any other script) to load/kill Plus! isn't officialy recommended!!!

PS: tisazalay, I'm not saying that the script wont work, because it will work. But I'm saying that not-experienced users shouldn't use this script (or similar ones) at all...

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
shouldent there be a wait tag after msnmsgr.exe?
Yes, and there is:
quote:
Originally posted by tisazalay
"C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
/sleep 20

This post was edited on 05-01-2004 at 03:04 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-01-2004 02:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tisazalay

51 / Male / –
RE: RE: Will's Launch MsgPlus Script
quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
shouldent there be a wait tag after msnmsgr.exe?

I use to have that, but it isn't really needed, If you do, you'll pause Winx32 until you exit msn messenger, and without it, you can exit winx32 (saves some cpu cycles) and keep the benefits of running MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! (like a -plugin-)... If you place the /wait everytime you open MSN Messenger (if you use "Polygamy") you'll add another winx32 process... not good...

With the script as it is, you'll be able to run MSN Messenger with the messenger plus! benefits as a single process...
tisazalay
05-05-2004 03:49 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
tisazalay

51 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Be very carefull with this kind of script!!!

Only use it if you are an experienced user and know exactly what you are doing and what is going on and how Plus! works and what it is doing in memory. I say this in general because there could be people using this and then complain that certain things wont work anymore...

You are completely right...

For things to work well you need to disable the autorun for MsgPlus... I use the script myself for launching MSN Messenger, almost never launch two instances at the same time (polygamy), even though it works. I think there's a limited use for it, (I actually run MSN Messenger 'bout once a week) but the script helps me reduce the clutter on my task manager (I hate seeing 30 processes running at the same time :P, but If you use MsgPlus a lot, you probably be better off not running the script...) The MsgPlus purpose for me is changing my contact names to what I want, for that matter it's perfect for me...

DISCLAIMER: Use the script at your own risk, It works for me, maybe It won't for you.

tisazalay
05-05-2004 04:01 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by tisazalay
I use to have that, but it isn't really needed, If you do, you'll pause Winx32 until you exit msn messenger, and without it, you can exit winx32 (saves some cpu cycles) and keep the benefits of running MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! (like a -plugin-)... If you place the /wait everytime you open MSN Messenger (if you use "Polygamy") you'll add another winx32 process... not good...
Yes, it is needed!!!! MsgPlus needs time to hook and that takes some time. You don't need to wait 20 seconds, 1 or 2 seconds is also good, but you NEED to wait!!! If winx32 opens another process for doing that, then so be it, or use another interpreter (like the standard VBS-script)...
05-05-2004 09:11 AM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
any utilitity like this on executable format?
not script... just a little compiled exe, if it exists
05-05-2004 10:39 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Search the forums... I've seen many scripts like this (at least 4 for as far I can remember), including an executable... but I must warn that all those scripts are highly errr.... experimental.... some are realy dodgy, made by first time "batch programmers", others are a bit better... But the principle is always the same... start msgplus.exe, wait a second, start MSN Messenger....

The best solution so far IMO, is just using a VBS-script... big advantages are that you can easly change some things (in case your path changes from where you start messenger or something, or you need to add a parameter, etc...) and it doesn't need any other interpreter (like winx32) to run because it is a basic default script language from windows...

This post was edited on 05-05-2004 at 01:45 PM by CookieRevised.
05-05-2004 01:42 PM
Hah

Im in a good mood - take advantage!

37 / Male / –
Heres an exe version i made:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=203514

and attached is the dev-cpp source for you to make your own.

.zip File Attachment: Plus Loader.zip (39.79 KB)
This file has been downloaded 142 time(s).
This post was brought to you by Hah!
(and he takes no responsibility for it :p)

[Image: signatures.jpg]

{Current Web Site}
05-05-2004 09:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tisazalay

51 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Yes, it is needed!!!! MsgPlus needs time to hook and that takes some time. You don't need to wait 20 seconds, 1 or 2 seconds is also good, but you NEED to wait!!! If winx32 opens another process for doing that, then so be it, or use another interpreter (like the standard VBS-script)...

I know I'm getting a bit off-topic, beg your pardon, the /wait statement on Winx32 "halts" program execution until that process is finished, diminishing the efficacy of the script, for example doing msnmsgr.exe/wait as a command will instruct it not to continue until msnmsgr.exe exits... If you do that instead of /sleep x then winx32 and msgplus will remain in memory until the whole script is finished (and it will only finish after you exit messenger!!!)

I've noticed that if you kill msgplus to early after MSN Messenger starts (less than 1-2 seconds) it doesn't hook up.. That's why I allow it to remain until after messenger logs in (about 10 seconds)... The other 10 seconds are optional, but I guess it's better to allow messenger to login before unloading msgplus...

Anyway, this script has, as I stated before, a limited use and is for educational purposes only... The sad part is that you do require to have Winx32 installed (it's a single .exe of about 500k)...It's good for people that don't "poly" too much...(You better wait for the script to finish (it'sabout 24 secs. after starting) before you run the next instance, that's to avoid killing msgplus before it hooks on the second messenger)
tisazalay
05-07-2004 12:46 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
oh yes, i guess im very dumb but i just realized messenger plus can be closed after hooking. I never tried this before and just found this out:(
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
06-03-2004 03:10 AM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
do you mean to terminate plus exe process after opening messenger?
will plus menu into msn windows be still available?

06-03-2004 06:23 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: