What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Letting other's know you have Plus!

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Letting other's know you have Plus!
Author: Message:
siebe

37 / Male / –
O.P. Roll Eyes  Letting other's know you have Plus!
Hello,

Im not sure this belongs in this category, but I couldn't find any other category to post it in.

Anyways, in the current version on MsgPlus! you can only let someone else know you have Plus! by doing one of the commands, or /ping.

However, considering the growing population of "bots" on Messenger's network, it might be an idea to send a special formatted header over the IM session to notify everyone,  including bots you can receive Plus, or of course, cannot (Maybe include a small list of features enabled?).

I'm sure a lot of people in the bot community, including myself, would be quite thankfull for this, seeing we can then determine if we can use Plus! with that specific user, or if we cannot.

Another handy thing about this, that normal users can get notified that the other doesn't have Plus! so it's useless to use those features in the IM session.

Just an example of such an header might be:

MSG <id> N <length>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: application/msgplus

Features: <bitwised feature string>

The bitwised feature sting can work like MSN's bitwising, which surely isn't hard to do in C (as I assume MsgPlus is written in C or a similar language).

Thanks!
03-07-2004 05:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Letting other's know you have Plus!
Hmmm... has some potential. And it doesn't invade people privacy I think. I like it on the condition that people without Plus! wouldn't see a thing. I mean they wouldn't get any message appearing all the time.
(and that you can turn it off of course)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-07-2004 05:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
If that's possible it's a great suggestion. But I'm afraid of there being any MSN-protocol violation...
Anyway, nice enough to give it a try :)
03-07-2004 05:54 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by siebe
seeing we can then determine if we can use Plus! with that specific user, or if we cannot.
send a /ping command and you'll get the answer...
if you want to do that in a bot, the exact thing you have to send is:
quote:
Ping? [msgplus]
you can also add a command in your bot so the user can decide if he wants to receive plus "features" or not. Maybe at some moment, the user wants to receive sounds but if it's too late at night he doesn't want to. so the user just says "!plus on" or "!plus off" to the bot (or whatever syntax you use)

about the header, that's too much work for Patchou, because plus doesn't work at that level (with the protocol directly).
quote:
as I assume MsgPlus is written in C or a similar language
Plus is done in VC++ 7.1
quote:
it might be an idea to send a special formatted header over the IM session to notify everyone,
if you want to notify your contacts, can't you just say "I'm using plus"?
quote:
Another handy thing about this, that normal users can get notified that the other doesn't have Plus! so it's useless to use those features in the IM session.
just the same... just type /ping and you'll know it you can use plus features or not.
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
But I'm afraid of there being any MSN-protocol violation...
that may be a real problem, also if you change what is being sent, ie:
quote:
MSG <id> N <length>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: application/msgplus
maybe the server doesn't know how to handle that or the client at the other end.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
03-07-2004 06:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
siebe

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Letting other's know you have Plus!
Oh, don't worry about the server alright, it can handle just about everything.. It doesn't care about what kind of packets are send, as long as the official client can read them, if the content type is unknown to it, it will kind of, discard the message and not show anything.

About the violation.. MsgPlus is already violating (in a way) MS's policies.

About the plus setting thing, or /ping or whatever.. I know that is possible,  but then we have to keep track of every user, check if they use it or not.. if not set, send them a ping, or send them a ping anyway cause they could be on any computer, anywhere on this damn planet.

And I don't know about you, but I find it quite irritating when I meet someone who for example doesn't have plus, and I have to find out the hard way. I can ask that person, or I could find out by him/her responding like "I can't see that", but wouldn't it be much easier that messenger/plus would automaticly detect that? Just to let you know, I talk to nearly 1000 DIFFERENT people each month.

Also, I'm sure it won't be THAT hard to dig a bit deeper and tap into the socket. It has been been done by many small plugins, why not Plus? Or does it already? I don't know about you, but to my knowledge I don't see any messages appearing in my textbox which are automaticly send on for example /ping... It has to come from SOMEWHERE, which indicates it already uses the socket directly.
03-07-2004 10:41 PM
Pappapishu

Supreme god of unknown and vegetable

39 / Male / –
i heard of the idea of putting a plus! icon like the webcam one, that would be rather simple and useful!
03-08-2004 12:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pappapishu
i heard of the idea of putting a plus! icon like the webcam one, that would be rather simple and useful!
yeqh but i do't know why it's not being added :p

well now with the 3rd version comming up it could be thought again :D
03-08-2004 12:23 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
It's a violation of protocol and a violation of privacy. If bots want to know if you have Plus!, they can always send you a ping :).

Note: and no, Plus! is not violating any Messenger "rules", it's 100% legal (if it was not, Microsoft would already have send me a letter, as they did with Trillian and the others).

Patchou

This post was edited on 03-08-2004 at 03:22 AM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-08-2004 03:20 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
siebe

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Letting other's know you have Plus!
I do not see why it's a violation of someone's privacy to be honoust. To give you an example.. Let's say you go the local grocer, and buy banana's.. Everyone in that grocer knows you got banana's.. And it's not like you put them under your jacket "cause you want no one to know you are going to buy banana's".

But ok, I can understand you might find it a violation of the protocol..

Anyway's, it was only an idea, I just thought to suggest it :)
03-08-2004 08:27 AM
Pappapishu

Supreme god of unknown and vegetable

39 / Male / –
but, it could be like the wabcam thing, there could be the choice of letting people know through the icon or disable it!
03-08-2004 11:20 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: