What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » C2Media - Removal Failure

C2Media - Removal Failure
Author: Message:
ForcedRegistration

Get a clue and drop C2Media

O.P. C2Media - Removal Failure
Pre-emptive: Yes, I HAVE actually read the sticky post on what to do to remove the malicious (yes, malicious) software. 

The problem is that after 13 tries, I have yet to receive the prompt to uninstall the virulent package.  Messenger Plus uninstalls without any prompts outside of "saving my settings."  All the steps have been followed, including re-installing Plus over and over again with the "sponsor" (boy, there is a euphemism.)  Still no luck getting rid of C2Media.

Because I had never expected this utility to be the culprit, I HAD already tried many things to destroy the C2Media folder and its single file, which I suppose is what is now preventing the uninstaller to work properly.  I will continue in my attempts to remove this pest, which sadly for me, now includes Plus as well.

I read another thread here where someone mentioned the sneakiness of the way this thing is installed.  I have to say, though I know it makes no difference, I agree it was extremely sneaky to simply add a couple of words to the EULA that most of us who install software have come to accept as idiotic legalese we have to deal with.  Installation options are usually, at least by professionals, placed in, well, the options for installation, not in the EULA.  I would have been much happier paying a small fee for this otherwise-useful utility.  As it is, it has simply cost me several hours in research and futile attempts at removing unwanted junk from my machine.
05-22-2004 05:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: C2Media - Removal Failure
Put both of these into the run command seperatly and tell me if you still have the issue

C:\Progra~1\Viewpo~1\Viewpo~1\mtsAxI~1.exe /u

RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3B24B725-D81F-442D-8CE5-2AF05A4A4CC9}\Setup.exe" -l0x9

Here is another option

Reinstall Messenger Plus! WITHOUT the sponsor
Click Start
Click Run
type regedit click ok
Click + Beside Hkey_Local_Machine
Click + Beside Software
Click + Beside Microsoft
Click + Beside Windows
Click + Beside CurrentVersion
Click + Beside Uninstall
Click on MessengerPlus!2
Change SponsorInstalled from 0 to 1 and try and uninstall it

And another option
http://lop.com/toolbar_uninstall.exe

And my last option
Click Start
Click Run
type regedit click ok
Click + Beside Hkey_Local_Machine
Click + Beside Software
Click + Beside Microsoft
Click + Beside Windows
Click + Beside CurrentVersion
Click + Beside Uninstall
Look for c2media and click on it (on the right double click on the UninstallString and copy it)
Now click start then click run and paste it in the window click ok, should bring the installer up for c2media

This post was edited on 05-22-2004 at 05:36 AM by matty.
05-22-2004 05:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: