What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Log chat to DB?

Log chat to DB?
Author: Message:
dr_db

– / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  Log chat to DB?
I was wondering if there was a way to log the chat to a db - even some kind of hook I could use with the plugins so I could write it myself.

I was thinking of sending it to MSDE, or something that can handle a fairly large size.

My kids are always erasing the logs to try and hide what they are doing, and at the same time dumping everything work related of mine.  Which really screws me.  So yeah, I wouldn't mind making it harder for them to cover their tracks either, so I at least know when my daughter sneeks out in middle of the night I know where she went.+o(
04-16-2004 07:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Log chat to DB?
If you set accounts up on your computer you can store all your documents so that no one else in any other account can access them...In Windows XP
As for the Chat logs I assume that they are Messenger Plus! chat logs you can set them encrypted and change the directory to somewhere in your account and if you've allowed it in Windows XP your children won't be able to access them only you. I hope this helps you
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-16-2004 08:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
Set file permissions on Windows 2000 or XP  give everyone seperate accounts and ensure your the only administrator.  This will stop them reading let alone deleting important things
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-16-2004 10:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dr_db

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Log chat to DB?
I would also like to avoid having the kids edit or delete theirs...  Msgplus runs in the context of the user, so it needs the rights to edit the file to write to it, and then the user can modify it as well.
04-17-2004 05:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by dr_db
I would also like to avoid having the kids edit or delete theirs...  Msgplus runs in the context of the user, so it needs the rights to edit the file to write to it, and then the user can modify it as well.

Not if you work out how to run Msgplus.exe with higher permissions than the kids have.   Theres ways to do it.

I'm happy to inform you you can encrypt the logs and log the prefrences panel in msgplus 3!  Perhaps this will be some help
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-17-2004 10:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: