What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » What makes it tick? C++? VB?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
What makes it tick? C++? VB?
Author: Message:
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: What makes it tick? C++? VB?
So if I were to make a program what programing language would work best to work in Windows? C++? or VB?
[Image: top.gif]
04-25-2004 09:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Huuf

44 / Male / –
RE: What makes it tick? C++? VB?
IF I had more time I would learn C++ and program only in c++ but shame I don't have much time on my hand and so create VB programs

But C++ is LOTS better then VB (I freely admit it :chrongue:)  VB limitates me in things, have to add other dll's, with c++ you can code mostly in 1 file.

p.s. maybe in the summer break I'll learn c++
04-25-2004 09:27 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
So if I were to make a program what programing language would work best to work in Windows? C++? or VB?
for small and easy programs, you can develop them in VB faster than in C. the language is easier and it's more visual. However If you want to create a powerful, optimized, complex program you'd better use C++. C++ offers all. If a thing can't be done in C++ it can't be done at all. C++, the language, is more complex than VB and has a lot of more things that the programmer must care and take in mind.

well, the choice is yours ;)
note: if you're new to programming (or new to windows programming) i'd suggest you to start with VB and then (if you want) change to C++
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-25-2004 10:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Huuf

44 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
well, the choice is yours ;)
note: if you're new to programming (or new to windows programming) i'd suggest you to start with VB and then (if you want) change to C++

I'm not fully agreed with this, because the switching can be harder, because in vb you have to do things different ways (like if then else things)

I think it's adviced to buy some c++ books and then start learning
04-25-2004 10:22 PM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I agree with Huuf, I programed in VB for about 2 years now and find it really hard to learn C++. I almost have to pull my hair out trying to make a C++ program lol. Like Huuf said it's probably a good idea to get some C++ books and start learning.

Oh and what about the Visual Basic Scripting? .VBS file. Whats that used for?

This post was edited on 04-25-2004 at 11:51 PM by DJeX.
04-25-2004 11:50 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Huuf

I'm not fully agreed with this, because the switching can be harder, because in vb you have to do things different ways (like if then else things)

I think it's adviced to buy some c++ books and then start learning
I'm not sure... if you start with C++, your learning curve may be frustrating... it'd take lot of time to get some "decent" results. However, stating with VB will show you then main concepts in windows programming and at the same time you'll be getting good, satisfactory results that will for sure motivate you in continue learning.

Of course VB and C++ are diferent languages and so they have diferent lexical constructions (as huuf says, in VB an if structure is
code:
if bla then
   bla
   bla
else
   bla
   bla
end if
and the same in C++ is
code:
if (bla) {
   bla;
   bla;
} else {
   bla;
   bla;
}
)
However, that's a thing you have to assume when you're trying to learn diferent programming languages.
quote:
I agree with Huuf, I programed in VB for about 2 years now and find it really hard to learn C++. I almost have to pull my hair out trying to make a C++ program lol.
do you think that if you hadn't begun with VB programming your first C++ program would have been easier? My personal experience is: I started with VB and Pascal, and then when I satarted with C I had the same problems as people who their 1st language is C. The same when I started with C++.
quote:
Like Huuf said it's probably a good idea to get some C++ books and start learning.
that of course ;) if you start with VB, or if your 1st language is C++, a good book about C++ is needed :) (for example, VB can be learnt without books, C++ can't)
quote:
Oh and what about the Visual Basic Scripting? .VBS file. Whats that used for?
well, vbs files are not compiled but interpreted.. they're used to make "quick programs" (and some virus too :P). they're similar to what bat files are for ms-dos. Well, i don't kow very much about them. I can't program a VBS file :P (although the syntax is very similar to the VB one)

This post was edited on 04-26-2004 at 12:44 PM by Choli.
04-26-2004 12:43 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I fully agree with Choli... And I'll try to put it/explain in another way:

It's not because you are used to a certain syntax of a certain programming language that you will have more difficulty learning the new language. On the controrary! It will be easier (especially from VB to C, in comparison with nothing to C) why? Because if you can program in VB you know the "programming-principles" (hopefully :dodgy:) and for every language this is the same. This means: you think like a computer... You can "see" the solution before you've programmed it... You can tackle a problem in the "computer"-way... The only new thing you need to learn is the new syntax; You don't need to learn "programming" again...

If you hadn't know any programming language and hadn't "experienced" programming yet, not only you need to learn the syntax, but also you must learn to program....

About VBS: It's indeed something between VBA (Visual Basic for Applications (interpreted, not compiled) = the things of what macro's are made of in Word, Excel, etc for example) and DOS Batch-programming. Syntax is the same VB.

This post was edited on 04-26-2004 at 06:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-26-2004 06:20 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
Thanks Cookie for making it clearer. In fact it's just this:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Because if you can program in VB you know the "programming-principles"
and let me add: " and knowing them is easier in VB than in C++"
04-26-2004 10:10 PM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Well I have finaly made up my mind, i'm going to learn C++. Any good sugestions or books I could use to use to learn this? I got some books off Kazaa but nothing really good.
04-29-2004 02:28 AM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Well I have finaly made up my mind, i'm going to learn C++. Any good sugestions or books I could use to use to learn this? I got some books off Kazaa but nothing really good.

Learn C++ in 24 hours is a great guide I just bought it :P  It looks nice and it has a simple layout.  all I need now is to open it and start learning
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-29-2004 03:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: