What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Thread read or not read?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Thread read or not read?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Thread read or not read?
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
One of those things is what you just experienced: When I visit a thread with new posts and reply to it, then every older thread (even if I didn't read it yet) becomes "read"...
What? O_O

You sure you're not full of crap? :P I don't see how that's possible.

quote:
btw, you only "notice" these things if you try to read almost every thread and if you reply a lot. When you're not so active it seems that either you don't get the bugs or you simply don't notice them...
Well, that could be because a cookie can only hold so much data. Let's say that there are 60 unread threads since your last visit, all marked as unread. Unless your last visit time is changed, only 40 of those threads can be marked read at a time. So once you view 40, the first threads that you read will be marked as unread again.

That's the same you told me back then :p hehehe...

Yep, I'm 100% sure I'm not full of crap... :P If you can remember I told this some time ago, and more people were having some trouble with it ;) and you did some tests and provided cdebug.php to see what my cookie's were (or something)...

It is hard to explain what exectly happens, but there is surely something "wrong" with it (or cookie-limitation or something)... If I could, I would make a video of the things I do so you can exactly see ;)

Anyways, some beheviours I encounter all the time:
* Going to latest posts, clicking on a thread that is marked "unread", reading it, going back to latest post (refreshing of course) and the thread is still marked as "unread"...
* Other times, if you post to that thread and go back to latest posts, all the threads beneath it ("older" ones) are marked "read" even if I didn't read them yet...
* Other times, when you read that thread, then go back to latest posts, that thread is marked correctly as "read", but some other thread beneath it (mostly the very next one, but not always) is suddenly marked as "unread", although there were no new posts... (and after you visited that wrongly marked "unread" thread and go back to latest posts, that thread is again "read", like it should, but the next one is wrongly marked as "unread", etc...etc...)

(all possible cookies are always automaticly accepted for this board. And cleaning them, or clicking on "mark all forums read" doesn't fix it. Also I do use tabbed browsing, but even if I didn't use it and opening up everything in the same page, it doesn't fix anything, so I live with it and use tabbed browsing anyway...)

This post was edited on 05-05-2004 at 09:15 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-05-2004 09:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: