What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Thread read or not read?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Thread read or not read?
Author: Message:
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
O.P. Thread read or not read?
I'm not sure if it's a bug with FF or with the forums but if you go to the latest posts you can see which threads you haven't read yet (darkblue or darkred color). When I go offline and come back they all have the lightblue (or lightred) color even if I haven't read them yet :-/.

Edit: I also have it with IE

This post was edited on 05-05-2004 at 11:51 AM by Kryptonate.
05-05-2004 11:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Thread read or not read?
I think the icons actually indicate "new" threads - threads that contain new replies after your previous visit.
05-05-2004 11:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Thread read or not read?
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
threads that contain new replies after your previous visit.
that's my problem. Let's say I was here around 9 PM yesterday and I read the the thread about "Do you live in Los Angeles". When I return this afternoon I can see at the time of the last post there were posts after I last read it, but the color is lightblue. It's also only sometimes appearently.
05-05-2004 11:58 AM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
I was going to ask WDZ if he could do something about the automatically mark all threads as read when logging out and in again; it's annoying if you're reading thread, have to go for 20 minutes, come back, refresh and can't see which ones you haven't read yet :-/
05-05-2004 11:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I was going to ask WDZ if he could do something about the automatically mark all threads as read when logging out and in again; it's annoying if you're reading thread, have to go for 20 minutes, come back, refresh and can't see which ones you haven't read yet :-/
I didn't know about that :o, that could be it *-)
05-05-2004 12:01 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I reported the same thing a while ago... it's something with the cookies... Since I first reported this bug, it was never solved (even if WDZ tried his best to investigate)....

One of those things is what you just experienced: When I visit a thread with new posts and reply to it, then every older thread (even if I didn't read it yet) becomes "read"...

I also have this in MSIE... It has something todo with the limitation of cookies WDZ told me back then... since then I learn to live with it, but it is very annoying...

btw, you only "notice" these things if you try to read almost every thread and if you reply a lot. When you're not so active it seems that either you don't get the bugs or you simply don't notice them...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-05-2004 02:14 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
When I visit a thread with new posts and reply to it, then every older thread (even if I didn't read it yet) becomes "read"...
Unusual... I understand some of the time issues like Tochjo said... I've never had this problem though. ^o)
05-05-2004 02:18 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
One of those things is what you just experienced: When I visit a thread with new posts and reply to it, then every older thread (even if I didn't read it yet) becomes "read"...
What? O_O

You sure you're not full of crap? :P I don't see how that's possible.

quote:
btw, you only "notice" these things if you try to read almost every thread and if you reply a lot. When you're not so active it seems that either you don't get the bugs or you simply don't notice them...
Well, that could be because a cookie can only hold so much data. Let's say that there are 60 unread threads since your last visit, all marked as unread. Unless your last visit time is changed, only 40 of those threads can be marked read at a time. So once you view 40, the first threads that you read will be marked as unread again.

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
it's annoying if you're reading thread, have to go for 20 minutes, come back, refresh and can't see which ones you haven't read yet :-/
That annoys me too... happens all the time. :p I just accept it as a MyBB limitation, though.
05-05-2004 03:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
I never have something like this :-/. It's when I'm gone for a while and come back again that a lot of threads suddenly appear as "read" while I haven't read them yet :dodgy:.

But if WDZ or another admin can't fix it then we'll just have to live with that :).
05-05-2004 03:50 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
That annoys me too... happens all the time. I just accept it as a MyBB limitation, though.
So you have no intention of changing this? :(
05-05-2004 03:52 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: