What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Short labels

1 votes - 5 average   Short labels
Author: Message:
Kian

41 / Male / –
O.P. Short labels
Hey - just a note...

I have noticed that the length of labels in Plus! 3 is pretty short. Sometimes the original language uses two or three words to describe something. The labels are often adjusted so that these two words fits perfectly into the label.

Sometimes Danish uses lots of letters to describe a simple english word and at the moment submenus in the light-blue area (like 'Commands & Tags') are hard to translate. Mostly because the Danish word for "Commands" are "Kommandoer" and "Tags" is "Mærker" which does not leave enough space!

There is no way around this problem. Two words cannot be translated into a shoter terms.

I actually think this translation has been more difficult...

I propose that labels with two or three words should leave more space for the translators - it is possible that the english version fits but translating without adequate space gives us no choice but to make it too short (which sometimes seems strange).

// Peter
Another of those stupid Danes
lets get one thing straight - i am NOT
05-06-2004 10:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Short labels
Read this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24389

My comments about it: if u are a good translator, u will be able to describe the feature/word with ur own words, even if u change them ;)
i have had the same problems (spanish (latin) translation) and i always could find a workarround :)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-06-2004 10:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Well, I'm realy struggling to fit many words in the short labels (not the descriptions, that's not a problem, but the 1 or few words labels and buttons)) AND keeping things consequent AND not using dialects and abbrivations... I agree with Kian that this is a very difficult translation because the labels are often just big enough for English (and English is a very short language, most languages need far more characters and words to describe just the same thing (even if you keep it basic))

This post was edited on 05-07-2004 at 12:22 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2004 12:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Well, I'm realy struggling to fit many words in the labels AND keeping things consequent AND not using dialects and abbrivations... I agree with Kian that this is a very difficult translation because the labels are often just big enough for English (and English is a very short language, most languages need far more characters and words to describe just the same thing (even if you keep it basic))
u can pic up a dictionary and search for synonims (or whatever is spelt :grin:)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-07-2004 12:22 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yeah right :p... I can assure you that it is far from as easy as that...

This post was edited on 05-07-2004 at 12:48 AM by CookieRevised.
05-07-2004 12:37 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I understand your problems, but as long as it concerns multi-line text, you always have the option to give less information in your description. I also strugled to make the english text fit in the designed space, if you have to do some sacrifices for your language, you're allowed to do so :). The only other option would be to create different windows for each language and.... no :p.

As for single line labels, I don't think there are too many labels of this kind that are too short. Again, you're allowed to remove some information to make the text fit. I promise you that I always have translation issues in mind when I design my windows, there's just a limit to what can be done.

Thank you for your understanding,
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-07-2004 03:54 AM
Leif

81 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Kian
Sometimes Danish uses lots of letters to describe a simple english word and at the moment submenus in the light-blue area (like 'Commands & Tags') are hard to translate. Mostly because the Danish word for "Commands" are "Kommandoer" and "Tags" is "Mærker" which does not leave enough space!

There is no way around this problem. Two words cannot be translated into a shoter terms.

I noticed that. Looks a bit ugly.
Could you perhaps use just "Kommandoer" instead? And on the button "Generelle Indstillinger" just write "Generellt" or something like that. My Danish is lousy so I can't really tell if this is possible. You have the same problem with "Privatlivs-beskyttelse" (which is almost as long as a normal Swedish word! :D What about "Privatliv" or "Privat"?

The stupid Swede :$
05-07-2004 04:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kian

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Short labels
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Read this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24389

My comments about it: if u are a good translator, u will be able to describe the feature/word with ur own words, even if u change them ;)
i have had the same problems (spanish (latin) translation) and i always could find a workarround :)
It has absolutely nothing to do if I am good translator or not. It has something to do with the language that I am translating Plus! in to.

I know the words to translated and I know the right words to translate 'em in to - thats a fact! The point is still that if I want to keep the red line through a label with only two words I need to translate directly into another two words which holds the same meaning, and sometimes it is difficult.

quote:
Well, I'm realy struggling to fit many words in the short labels (not the descriptions, that's not a problem, but the 1 or few words labels and buttons)) AND keeping things consequent AND not using dialects and abbrivations... I agree with Kian that this is a very difficult translation because the labels are often just big enough for English (and English is a very short language, most languages need far more characters and words to describe just the same thing (even if you keep it basic))
Thank you for your sympathy :D I appreciate that

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
u can pic up a dictionary and search for synonims (or whatever is spelt )
again... thats not enough. You don't have to look up simple words when you already know 'em and all the ways you can handle 'em (the words)
It's all about the space - not that the translator is ugly and do not know how to use a dictionary

quote:
Originally posted by Leif
Could you perhaps use just "Kommandoer" instead? And on the button "Generelle Indstillinger" just write "Generellt" or something like that. My Danish is lousy so I can't really tell if this is possible. You have the same problem with "Privatlivs-beskyttelse" (which is almost as long as a normal Swedish word!  What about "Privatliv" or "Privat"?
Hehe... but by doing so I'll loose a lot of information but I guess thats the way to handle the situation...

// Kian (aka Peter)
The stupid Dane

This post was edited on 05-07-2004 at 07:51 AM by Kian.
05-07-2004 07:30 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Leif
Could you perhaps use just "Kommandoer" instead? And on the button "Generelle Indstillinger" just write "Generellt" or something like that. My Danish is lousy so I can't really tell if this is possible. You have the same problem with "Privatlivs-beskyttelse" (which is almost as long as a normal Swedish word! :D What about "Privatliv" or "Privat"?

The stupid Swede :$
Reminds me of the Swedish Cook in the Muppets :p
Lol, anyways, exactly what I did in the Dutch translation:
"Commands & Tags" -> "Commando's" ("Commando's & Tags" is too long, and "Tags" isn't even a dutch word...)
"Privacy Protection" -> "Privacy" ("Privacy Bescherming", which is the right full and correct translation, is too long..)

There are many more examples ;) well anyways... back to it, otherwise I wont get the deadline :p

This post was edited on 05-07-2004 at 09:27 AM by CookieRevised.
05-07-2004 09:26 AM
Kian

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Short labels
quote:
Reminds me of the Swedish Cook in the Muppets :p
Lol, anyways, exactly what I did in the Dutch translation:
"Commands & Tags" -> "Commando's" ("Commando's & Tags" is too long, and "Tags" isn't even a dutch word...)
"Privacy Protection" -> "Privacy" ("Privacy Bescherming", which is the right full and correct translation, is too long..)

There are many more examples ;) well anyways... back to it, otherwise I wont get the deadline :p

Well I guess thats the solution even though I don't like it :P - I hate to truncate text...

Well - thanks anyway

// Peter
The Stupid Dane
05-08-2004 05:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: