What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Un-installing Plus!2 after installing MP!3

Un-installing Plus!2 after installing MP!3
Author: Message:
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Un-installing Plus!2 after installing MP!3
How do I un-install Messenger Plus! 2 after installing MP!3? Is it just to remove the folder or do I have to do something else?
[Image: signature.php]
05-27-2004 07:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
FurryD

42 / Male / –
RE: Un-installing Plus!2 after installing MP!3
it's still there? i think when i installed 3, 2 was gone anyway.
05-27-2004 08:01 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Un-installing Plus!2 after installing MP!3
Yes it is gone, it won't open. But the folder is still there. Can I just delete the folder or do I have to run a un-installer? There is no uninstaller for Plus!2 in Add/Remove Programs.
[Image: signature.php]
05-27-2004 08:04 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Normaly there is an uninstaller. You need to look for the complete and right name: "Messenger Plus!"...

But since you installed Plus! 3, you wont be able to uninstall Plus!2 with that; it will remove Plus!3 instead...

If you don't have any plugins installed, you can safely delete the Plus!2 folder without any hassle...

after all that, verify that every plugin is working again. Then you can safely delete the old Plus!2 folder...

But if you do have plugins, then it is possible that some plugins are still left there and can't be delete right away. But I thought that plugins were copied to the new Plus!3 directory... anyways, make sure they are all there in the new plugins folder.

If not, then close MSN Messenger completely (right-click on its icon in the systemtray and choose "exit"). Then depending on the plugins, you can move them to the new plugins directory. But there are plugins that you need to unregister first and reregister in the new directory.

So to be safe, uninstall every plugin (or delete it if no uninstaller is provided) and install them again in the new directory...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-27-2004 08:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
You can safely delete the Messeger Plus! 2 folder: the Plus! 3 setup changes all the registry paths and such, and removes all the files it can from the Plus! 2 folder. Any it doesn't remove can be deleted manually with no risk to system stability.

At least, that's in my experience.

However, if you installed any VB plugins, reinstall them into Plus! 3 first.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-28-2004 12:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Phrive

...!Phrive!...

35 / Male / –
or uninstall plus 2 before you install plus 3?
[Image: 1thing5hk.gif]

05-29-2004 09:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Files from plus!2 folder do get copied to plus!3 folder during install (won't hurt to crosscheck files tho just to make sure), it just doesnt register some dll's of plugins.

To find out wich ones: leave messenger & plus running and try to delete plus!2 folder...it will warn u if a file is still in use...write the name down, and register the dll as followed: Start > Run .... type in: RegSvr32 "c:\program files\messenger plus! 3\plugins\<name of dll>" (if u got em in diff folder/drive ofcourse change that in the path i just typed here) after doing that close messenger completely and log in again..then try deleting plus!2 folder again..if u get a warning again do same as above untill the plus!2 folder can be deleted withouth any warning (with messenger & plus running ofcourse).
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-29-2004 09:51 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by _-PhRiVe-_
or uninstall plus 2 before you install plus 3?
It still won't delete all the plugins (I don't think). Anyway, I believe this is effectively what the Plus! 3 installer does.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-29-2004 10:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: