What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » HTML Help

HTML Help
Author: Message:
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. HTML Help
Hi all, thought i would consult you guys since you have been so helpful in the past.
Here goes. My friends and I have become quite addicted to this fantasy soccer site in which you manage a soccer team making transfers etc (http://www.hattrick.org). We frequently visit this during our computing classes however were told recently that the school was going to block access to it as it, below google, was receiving the most hits in the school.

We still want to be able to access the site at school so i came up with the idea of being able to run the site within another site perhaps within a frame. So i researched and wrote some html to do just that. "Attached". so now the site opens up within the frame and works just fine. hopefully this will by pass the block. The problem is upon typing username and password and logging on the site is redirected to such site as http://www7.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp and we are logged on. (the number 7 is sometimes replaced by 10 or 3 etc).

Will this therefore not work as this site will still be blocked meaning we still cant access it?

If so can anyone suggest any other way around this?

Thankyou for your time and help

.html File Attachment: Hattrickpg2.html (611 bytes)
This file has been downloaded 222 time(s).
[Image: wetpix%20sig.png]
06-08-2004 11:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: HTML Help
You're absolutely right... that won't work because the browser simply loads the same page in another frame.  What you need is another website broadcasting exactly the same information as hattrick.org.  This can only be done with a bit of PHP scripting.  If you're willing to learn how to do it yourself i'd certainly give tips on how to do it.
06-08-2004 11:33 AM
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: HTML Help
When you say that i need to create another website broadcasting exactly the same information as hattrick.org do you mean completely recreate the site again. if not is what your saying that it will redirect from another location.
would anyone be able to list any sites that would point me in the right direction for this. keeping in mind that i dont know much when it comes down to this. i know some html and sorta javascript but thats about it. :P
06-08-2004 11:39 AM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
rather than your computer contacting hattrick (which is what your school is banning) your computer contacts another site, which contacts hattrick, and sends the data back to you... the process that the intermediate site does is invisible to the school... it doesn't know any different
06-08-2004 11:42 AM
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
ok that sounds like the way to go about it then thankyou very much lobster.
So to achieve this can anyone direct me to anyone sites/information that can get me started?
06-08-2004 12:04 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
First you need webspace that supports php (:google:)

Then you need to learn some basic PHP coding (Here and Here)

Then you need to make a .htaccess 404 page that points 404's to blah.php (:google: .htaccess 404)

Then make blah.php so that it takes $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], sticks it onto http://www7.hattrick.org, and loads it with php function fread() (function search Here)

If you need to forward and bounce back HTTP headers like cookies, POST, etc, use CURL (function search curl, again, Here)
06-08-2004 03:47 PM
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
Thanks very much for your help lobster. guess i will get stuck into the reading now..

One more thing. even though obviously i am not trying to do anything bad here but is it possible i could get in trouble? not from school but from hattrick. for such things as resending information, coping etc. because i wouldnt want to get my team disqualified or anything lol

EDIT: does anyone know of a free webspace that supports php. google brings up mostly stupid results and thought maybe someone already knew of a good one.

This post was edited on 06-09-2004 at 09:00 AM by Dan0208.
06-09-2004 07:34 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: