What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Installer bug

Installer bug
Author: Message:
CyR

O.P. Installer bug
When I installed the latest version MSN+ on the latest version of MSN Messenger, I made sure to choose not to install the ad-ware.  But it installed it anyway.

So there must be a bug in the installer that is installing it even when its told not to, or this was done on purpose in attempt to make more money?

btw that toolbar is evil, anything that doesnt let u remove it or disable  it is clearly evil, it's disabled me right-clicking on IE's toolbar to uncheck it, and it has even taken over of my DNS (totally unnecessary for a toolbar).
It won't let me goto any sites that have utilities for removing spyware... and no it is not my isp, because my other computer gets to the site no problem,
the dns for said site, returns 127.0.0.90. which goes nowhere.
I opened my hosts file in Notepad (in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\), and it has redirected over 100 sites to nowhere... not a very friendly program at all!

PS before one of you start suggesting that i got this ad-ware from something else, i can assure you I didn't, since i JUST formatted, and this was the first thing i installed (after SP1+MSN), everything was fine before i installed, i even made a restore point in XP before installing Plus!, because this exact thing happened to me before, before I formatted. That was the older version too!

Windows XP SP1
Intel P4 2.8Ghz HT
MSI 865PE Neo2
06-10-2004 06:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Installer bug
Hello CyR,

Are you positive you chose the last option when you saw
[Image: mp3_sponsoroption.png]

If you chose to refuse, nothing will be installed. This has been tested over and over, and is a fact.

This post was edited on 06-10-2004 at 06:19 PM by Tochjo.
06-10-2004 06:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CyR

O.P. RE: RE: Installer bug
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Hello CyR,

Are you positive you chose the last option when you saw
[Image: mp3_sponsoroption.png]

If you chose to refuse, nothing will be installed. This has been tested over and over, and is a fact.

I am 100% positive i did, i even double checked before i pressed next... as i said before, i knew this comes loaded with this adware crap, and this time i wanted to be certain i did refuse to install it.

As I ticked the box to refuse to install it, the agreement thing at the top got grayed out.
06-10-2004 06:33 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Sorry but that's not possible. Also, there's no way my sponsor would change your DNS and prevent you from going anywhere you want on the internet.

As for the toolbar being evil, if you want to get rid of it, you just have to uninstall Messenger Plus!. You can then reinstall the software and make sure this time you really click "I refuse".
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-10-2004 06:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

refuse button is the lower box, are you sure you didn't agree it as a license agreement?

if you want to remove it: just uninstall plus! and then reinstall but now by refusing the sponsor
06-10-2004 06:49 PM
CyR

O.P. RE: Installer bug
OMG, do you get like this everytime somebody reports a bug? "sorry thats not possible" Just because you dont encounter the bug doesnt mean it doesn't exist

It is possible, so what it doesnt happen to you, not all bugs happen to everyone.

And i am 100% positive i pressed refuse, like i said the agreement even got grayed out when i did it, i agreed to nothing!

Does msgplus have an install log for debugging?

And as for your sponser not changing my DNS, do a google, you will find other references on the internet of ISearch doing this. (EG http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=12530 )
06-10-2004 06:55 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by CyR
OMG, do you get like this everytime somebody reports a bug? "sorry thats not possible" Just because you dont encounter the bug doesnt mean it doesn't exist

It is possible, so what it doesnt happen to you, not all bugs happen to everyone.
seems like you don't get it - one user out of 1.6 million users (at least!) who pressed "refuse" can't get the sponsor. we would understand if (only) 10 people posted it. but not ONE
06-11-2004 11:08 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
It's just not possible... read that window buttons again...
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
06-11-2004 11:38 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I think if Patchou says that it is impossible, that it is realy impossible. He programmed it. This is entirly something else then a bug...

In a programmers way of telling this:

INPUT "install sponsor?"
IF answer="yes" THEN
  InstallSponsor
ELSE
  DoNothing
END IF
InstallPlus

There is NO WAY that "InstallSponsor" can be executed when you select "no".
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-12-2004 12:26 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I'm really sorry about my answer CyR, I knew it would be frustrating to read but you have to understand that I wouldn't say this if I was not 100% sure (which almost never happens except for things as touchy as the sponsor program). In any case, you intended to help by reporting it as a possible bug and I thank you for this.

Here is the part of the setup code related to the sponsor (in case it would interest someone) :
quote:
//Will we have to install the sponsor?
if(m_panel3.IsDlgButtonChecked(IDC_ACCEPT) == BST_CHECKED)
      g_bInstallSponsor = true;
else
      g_bInstallSponsor = false;

//Launch the installation
DWORD nThreadID;
TRACE("Messenger Plus! will now be installed");
HANDLE hThread = CreateThread(NULL, NULL, &InstallProc, NULL, NULL, &nThreadID);

The only other way InstallProc() can be called is through the use of a /silent switch. In both cases, g_bInstallSponsor is never modified in InstallProc(). Of course, everything related to the sponsor is in one big if(g_bInstallSponsor) { ... } inside InstallProc().

Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-12-2004 02:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: