What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Firewall

Firewall
Author: Message:
froggyfluff

45 / Male / –
O.P. Firewall
I have a firewall and recently I've had loads of SMURF attack detections...I have no clue what that means, and I'm wondering if it's anything important and if I need to do anything about it...This isn't really the right place to ask but everyone was really helpful before(Y)
I am the servant of the Secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you! Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
06-10-2004 06:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: Firewall
Smurf

A common technique of performing a DoS (Denial of Service) attack -- but one that takes a different approach to the usual DoS routine. DoS would normally use default pings to overwhelm a given host. But to really overwhelm the resources of a given target, the attacker would have to compromise many computers, and have them ping the target simultaneously.

The difference that Smurf provides is the ability to launch a DoS against a target from only a single computer. Smurf works by sending a ping packet to the broadcast address of a network, using a spoofed source IP address. The source IP address is the actual target. When all the clients of the network respond to the ping packet, they will all be sending a reply to the single spoofed address. It is this multiple response that is the actual DoS attack, overwhelming the spoofed target system.

source: http://www.itsecurity.com/dictionary/smurf.htm
06-10-2004 06:57 PM
froggyfluff

45 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Firewall
I am the servant of the Secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you! Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
06-10-2004 07:10 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: