What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Shouldn't the forums be cleaned???

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Shouldn't the forums be cleaned???
Author: Message:
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Shouldn't the forums be cleaned???
We could have a special sub forum somewhere where admins and mods can move informative threads that provide important information.  Users shouldnt be able to post new threads there but maybes should be allowed to reply to them if they need futher help on that topic
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
06-15-2004 11:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vantage

Bam

– / Male / –
Oh yeah and another thing, Posts take up barely any Space :P so no point in deleting them and Members too they take up barely any space so yeah
Never Hope. Always Wish.
06-16-2004 03:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
:blah: As all of the forum admins have said..In a few days the load will get better...Till then we just have to deal wif it, and get over it.....As the new server thingy gets here I am sure it will decrease and chit...:D
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
06-16-2004 03:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wj
Nope, They are not saved
Actually, I have backups of most of the threads I've pruned, on my hard drive as well as CD-RW. However, they're not in a format that makes them easy to restore. I can restore single threads in a few minutes, but restoring large numbers of posts just isn't practical. :p

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I know it is hard to do, but before pruning (from that date to that date) can the threads be revised somehow so important posts aren't deleted?
Revised how? By a human? That would be quite time-consuming to check every thread thoroughly. Usually I just look at the subject... if it leads me to believe that the thread is important/useful, I'll read it, then decide whether or not to prune it.

Something we could do in the future is have a list of threads that are exempt from pruning. I could modify my prune script to automatically leave those threads alone.

Another thing that could be done is archiving: taking threads out of the database and storing them in a format that's less server-intensive to load. I have some ideas and plans for this, but it's kind of a big/intimidating project that I don't want to get into right now. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
Oh yeah and another thing, Posts take up barely any Space
I don't think space is really the issue... we probably have many gigabytes of free space on the server. The more records that are in the database, the more stuff MySQL has to sort/search through and keep track of.
06-16-2004 04:36 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: