What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » An open letter to patchou

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
An open letter to patchou
Author: Message:
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: An open letter to patchou
quote:
Originally posted by phantom
optional, but people cant see that. the way the sponsor page has been set up, it looks like it would behave like this:
if u have any suggestion on how to improve the agreement, post it here.
quote:

and i call it a virus because of the spyware's viral activity. lop has a wonderful way of giving you more then what you see, placing small programs behind you that tell the company anything important about you that you type into your computer... (encrypted, but i know it does send all the urls you visit, which poses a serious threat to hotmail users because you need only the exact address not a password when you want to read someone's email)
the optional sponsor program that comes with plus is a "light" version of lop's packages, made specially for it., it does not contain ANY kind of spyware.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
06-17-2004 10:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
optional, but people cant see that. the way the sponsor page has been set up, it looks like it would behave like this:

- install msn plus with the "sponsor"
- dont install anything

and i call it a virus because of the spyware's viral activity. lop has a wonderful way of giving you more then what you see, placing small programs behind you that tell the company anything important about you that you type into your computer... (encrypted, but i know it does send all the urls you visit, which poses a serious threat to hotmail users because you need only the exact address not a password when you want to read someone's email)
With all respect, but you need to get your facts strait!
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
the optional sponsor program that comes with plus is a "light" version of lop's packages, made specially for it., it does not contain ANY kind of spyware.
Also....

Even spyware is NOT a virus. Calling it that is completely wrong, there are very huge differences between adware, spyware and virusses! The things you describe have nothing todo with virusses.

People and companies need to call the things what they are. eg: Calling a adware "spyware" or even "a virus" is completely wrong and proofs that the company doesn't care about correctly informing people.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-18-2004 02:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CanadianOriginal

Please Stand By

44 / Male / Flag
How does Patchou benefit from the sponsor? does he make any money from the installation alone, or does it have to be kept for him to make money?
~ Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven
06-18-2004 03:26 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianOriginal
How does Patchou benefit from the sponsor? does he make any money from the installation alone, or does it have to be kept for him to make money?
I think people have to actually use the search toolbar and links that are installed.
06-18-2004 03:46 AM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianOriginal

He gets paid per click of toolbar and other links.
06-18-2004 03:50 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
Well its not a virus, its adware even 'spyware' if u must but no trouble to me ive deleted all traces i can find of it and also scanned with Adaware and Spybot, if i must i'll use the removal tool although at this point in time it dosnt seem nessesary to me
06-18-2004 06:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Well its not a virus, its adware even 'spyware' if u must but no trouble to me ive deleted all traces i can find of it and also scanned with Adaware and Spybot, if i must i'll use the removal tool although at this point in time it dosnt seem nessesary to me
Uninstalling Plus! was the proper (and logic) way of removing the sponsor... ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-18-2004 05:01 PM
zeidbop

I tried uninstalling and when I rebooted my machine, Windows starts and then immediately shuts down!! This doesn't sound like a good solution to me.

Any other way to remove the adware?

David
06-18-2004 05:19 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zeidbop
I tried uninstalling and when I rebooted my machine, Windows starts and then immediately shuts down!!
Reboot again. Windows XP occasionally does that, when it detects errors.
06-18-2004 05:24 PM
zeidbop

I rebooted several times. In the end I had to do a sytem restore but I still have the adware on my computer
06-18-2004 05:27 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: