What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus installed SCUMWARE on my pc
quote:
Originally posted by nyboe
I can assure you and every other person here, I was NOT asked any more questions beyond would you like to update msgplus!.

It installed it self, and added crap all over my PC.  You can tell me as much as you want that it's not possible, but it obviously is.  The other interesting part is I'm by far not the only person claiming this on the boards and all the staff here says is "It's not possible".

So, I'm going to take the same stance several other mods on other large boards are doing. I'm letting all my members know about this bug, and to watch out for msgplus.  I hope at some point you'll change your practices, but it's far more likely we'll just have to use a competing piece of software.

I should have seen the writing on the wall once you announced "optional" spyway.

I was gonna say it's your opnion, but an opnion isn't a fact :) Your wrong, you ALWAYS have the chice, and once again, if you want to double check, uninstall Msg. Plus! and re-install it. I'm ure the message will come up.

By the way, if you take my advice and it doersnt come, send us some proof by video taping it or something thanx :)
06-19-2004 01:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nyboe
The other interesting part is I'm by far not the only person claiming this on the boards and all the staff here says is "It's not possible".
The reason we say this is because
a) we never experienced this ourselves
b) Patchou, the developer, says it's not possible.

As long as Patchou claims this is not possible, I believe it is not possible.
06-19-2004 02:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
If you want to diss Patchou, you can leave. This is a forum for Plus! and its fans. While I agree that this question is a legitiment question, you are going about it in a very unreasonable manner and should change your tone. I know for a FACT that the update feature invokes the same installer and makes sure you have the option of not installing the sypware. Just because your too slow to take notice does not, under any cicumstances, make it OK for you to whine at other people. If you want help, ask. If you want to flame, leave.
[Image: 7.png]
06-19-2004 02:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I really have to point out that the sponsor program doesn't force itself on your computer... if you unisntall Messenger Plus!, it will unisntall the sponsor, and that's about it. The sponsor is uninstalled thousands of times a day (with 60,000 daily installs, you can understand why) and the only people who complain are generally people who try to be smart, delete files/registry entries themselves, use tools like Adaware and then are surprised the sponsor program can't even find its uninstallation program anymore.

I always check my stats and currently, around 65% of my users install with the sponsor, 35% without. That's more than 20,000 people who chose "I refuse" everyday, I think the message is clear enough. And as for being useful, yes it is. It doesn't slows down your navigation, at all, helps do searches on the web (that's the main source of revenue if you want to know so if the majority of its users didnt find it useful, I wouldn't be earning a thing. Hundred of thousands of searches are made on this search bar everyday by my own users) and it does popups up many windows (because thats annoying and because I want to keep my users happy).

Patchou

This post was edited on 06-19-2004 at 05:21 PM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-19-2004 05:20 PM
Hah

Im in a good mood - take advantage!

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by wonkotsane
I'm sorry, perhaps I've entered a parallel universe where WIPEDRIVE means something other than WIPE DRIVE.  For christs sake are you stupid?  If I set a startup entry on your computer of "format c:" would you not complain?  You're either naive or paid by Messenger Plus because I can't think of any other reason for such a monumentally stupid answer such as the one you posted.

I'll take this as the official response then and make it my mission to tell as many people as I can (and that's a hell of a lot of people on the internet, believe me) about this scumware.  I respect the author's right to get paid for his software but he also has a responsibility to ensure that the scumware he's installing with his product isn't harmful.  The owner of the scumware is british and if WIPEDRIVE does what the name suggests then it's illegal under UK law.

Naive, nope, stupid nope. In fact I'm remarkably clever, and all my exam results will show anyone that ;). I just wanted to make it clear that YOU, yes YOU accepted it to be installed, it is YOUR responsibility not mine, or Patchou's for that matter.

I mean if you can call the above reasons for wipe drive stupid try this one: Someone who claims to be a developer should understand that if you wanted to put a dodgy program on someones computer, you certainly wouldn't give it a dodgy name. Hmm let me think, a program which corrupted all data on the hard drive, which I perhaps would call I dunno, the corrupter.exe, if I wanted to place that on vunerable users pc,  a name like winupdate.exe is going to be a more likely choice, im sure you would agree.

I could give you a million different excuses, reasons etc, but theres no point, because Patchou has made it clear what this package does, and he (claims) to have extensively tested this to be true. There is no need to question his word.

As for now, I don't really care if I'm breaking the law, Im going to install the sponsor and disassemble the exe in question, to prove to myself and you (I will pm my analysis) that everything is as it should be. (By the way, if a mod realises I am breaking the law, please delete this part of the post :$)

Thanks,

Hah
This post was brought to you by Hah!
(and he takes no responsibility for it :p)

[Image: signatures.jpg]

{Current Web Site}
06-19-2004 06:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I guess you shouldn't disassemble anything but feel free to do so,  I have nothing to hide :).
06-20-2004 06:53 AM
Mooshi

I also installed the update to Plus, but I accidently installed the sponser. I would like to point out that it is my own fault, as I did the usual next, next, accept, yes, install routine that most people do.
For those of you who think the choice to install the sponser is not in the update, you are wrong. Not 20 minutes ago did I see it there. Also, I did not get any program called wipedrive.exe installed on my computer, in my startup, so I believe that perhaps that is from some other piece of spyware that has been loaded onto your system.

I would just like to thank you, Patchou, for actually giving us a choice to install the sponser, wether or not we actually we bother to read the install agreement :P, and thank you for continually updating plus and making it better.
06-21-2004 03:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Thank you :)
I guess I can close the thread on these good words.
06-21-2004 03:44 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: