What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » USB/Windows/iPod Plz Help

USB/Windows/iPod Plz Help
Author: Message:
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
O.P. USB/Windows/iPod Plz Help
Firstly i need to know how to check what type of USB ur running USB 1.0 or 2.0,

Secondly i need to know that now i have to Reformat all my windows to upgrade from ME to XP will i loose everything? Obviously ill need to back up personal programs but i will i loose things like Drivers e.t.c?

The reason for all of this is my iTunes for iPod wont work on my windows version and i need to know my USB type to see if i have to buy a usb 2.0 or firewire card. My main problem though is the re formating. Please help asap.
07-01-2004 12:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: USB/Windows/iPod Plz Help
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
newer computers have 2.0... you should check your motherboard's manual/user guide

quote:
will i loose everything? Obviously ill need to back up personal programs but i will i loose things like Drivers e.t.c?
yep, you'll lose all. you can, however, upgrade your window but I strongly suggest you NOT to do that. It's way much better to format and make a clean install of Win XP.

You have to save your files/documents/etc... but you'll have to reinstall the drivers (anyway, don't worry very much about this, because WinXP comes with lots of drivers and maybe you won't need to re-install any).
quote:
i need to know my USB type to see if i have to buy a usb 2.0 or firewire card.
firewire? it has nothing to do with usb....

I don't get your problem with usb :-/

quote:
My main problem though is the re formating. Please help asap.
what else do you want to know? Reformating may be easy... Save your files, insert the Windows XP CD, and restart. Be sure you've configured the BIOS so it boots from the CD in first place. With the WinXP CD inside the drive, a menu will appear. Select you want to load from cd (by pressing a key) and follow the on-screen instructions. When the installation ends, just restore your saved files. :)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-01-2004 02:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
i bought a firewire card for about $30 canadian. its a fine investment.

and there are programs you can use to manage your iPod other than iTunes. EPhpod, anapod explorer, and even a plugin for WInamp.
07-01-2004 02:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:

Secondly i need to know that now i have to Reformat all my windows to upgrade from ME to XP will i loose everything? Obviously ill need to back up personal programs but i will i loose things like Drivers e.t.c?

The reason for all of this is my iTunes for iPod wont work on my windows version and i need to know my USB type to see if i have to buy a usb 2.0 or firewire card. My main problem though is the re formating. Please help asap.

Firstly, if you're afraid of losing things do one of the following:
A) If you have 2 HD's, then move everything onto 1 before you format the other

B) get someone to borrow you the windows version before XP (200, right?) and upgrade to that first, then upgrade from that to XP.

C) Back-up your HD with Nero and a shitload of CD-R's, DVD-R's, or DVD+R's.

This post was edited on 07-01-2004 at 03:21 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-01-2004 03:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by blade
B) get someone to borrow you the windows version before XP (200, right?) and upgrade to that first, then upgrade from that to XP.

u can upgrade from ME to XP, but it isn't recomended. different kernal, etc. However, I went from 98 to XP without aproblem (that i found), so u might not have a problem either.
07-01-2004 03:34 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
quote:

u can upgrade from ME to XP, but it isn't recomended. different kernal, etc. However, I went from 98 to XP without aproblem (that i found), so u might not have a problem either.

Well I mean it can't hurt if ur planning to reformat anyways...
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-01-2004 03:35 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
2000, btw ;)

if upgrading from ME to XP isn't recommended, upgrading to 2000 and then to XP is even less recommended :P There's no point in installing 2000 first and then XP. It's a lost of time.
quote:
but it isn't recomended. different kernal, etc
that's not the main reason. In fact ME and XP have different kernel, but that shouldn't be a problem. The problem comes with dodgy programs that write files to system folders and those files may be still there when they shouldn't or may not be and they should. Also, the registry would still have lots of old, useless entries.

Upgrading also increases the fragmentation of the disk, and some aplications need to be reinstalled again.
quote:
However, I went from 98 to XP without aproblem (that i found), so u might not have a problem either.
that's the "default" behaviour. Noone should have any problem when upgrading Windows, however (and once again :P) that's not recommended :)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-01-2004 04:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
i would also reccomend reformating to clean the drive up if not for anything else.:)
but you dont need the full xp disk if you have the me disk just buy the upgrade.:)
some people ive met seem to be undeer the impression that it actually takes files from the me disk and installs them into the OS. This is not the case, the me disk is must be inserted simply to verify that youown the disk, while all the data ome from the xp upgrade disk:D
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
07-01-2004 07:17 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
To check for USB 2.0, the Windows Device Manager might be useful... go into the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" category. Mine has an entry that says "USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller." However, there's an even more obvious way to tell: the ports on the front of the PC say "USB 2.0" next to them. :lol:

:spam:
07-01-2004 07:52 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: