What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Trojan Downloader

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Trojan Downloader
Author: Message:
KillahInstinct

Do You Play @ TexasFraggers Yet

36 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  Trojan Downloader
First of all, I'm really thankfull for the one making this program, and its really helpfull to me, so thanks.
Downloaded and installed the new Messenger Plus! 3.
Asks me if I regret installing some adaware, offcourse not, if the maker of this program can make some money out of this, I don't care.
But there is a difference between adaware(ie popups) and install a trojan downloader. Immediately after installing it tells me a Virus has been found in MsgPlusSetupFile-A.tmp ---> A trojan downloader :S
It's not a problem, I know how to remove it and keep MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus still working, I'm just wondering why a trojan downloader?

Note : I don't use some kind of free antivirus program but the best program at the moment.
I will post more details later.
It IS a trojan, and not some bad heurastic detected sponsor thing.

This post was edited on 07-05-2004 at 01:56 PM by KillahInstinct.
[Image: tf_88-31.gif]
07-05-2004 12:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: Trojan Downloader
Plus! does not contain a trojan, some av's tell this but they been told already that it's not a virus. Update your av.

This post was edited on 07-05-2004 at 01:13 PM by Kryptonate.
07-05-2004 12:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Out of curiosity, what AntiVirus Program is it?
07-05-2004 01:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KillahInstinct

Do You Play @ TexasFraggers Yet

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Trojan Downloader
To Kryptonate :
Updated. Same error message.
To eXoenDo :
AntivirusKit 12 Pro, I've been testing for a proffesional company several AntiVirus-Progs (with several I mean 24) this one came out as the best. The proffesional company was the Dutch Rail Company (Nederlandse Spoorwegen)

File : MsgPlusSetupFile-A.tmp
Engine : KAV-Engine and RAV Engine
Virus : TrojanDownloader.Win32.Swizzor.ag
Virus Information : "TrojanDownloader.Win32.Swizzor.ag is no trojan itself, but this program is able to download a trojan silently from the internet."

The good thing is it removes itself, the tmp file I mean. The trojan is still active and trying to download/install other Trojans.

This post was edited on 07-05-2004 at 01:55 PM by KillahInstinct.
[Image: tf_88-31.gif]
07-05-2004 01:50 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Your antivirus probably detected the setup of the sponsor program. It's not a virus nor a trojan and should not be detected as is. Norton and McAfee don't report it themselves.
[Image: signature2.gif]
07-07-2004 01:54 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KillahInstinct
To Kryptonate :
Updated. Same error message.
To eXoenDo :
AntivirusKit 12 Pro, I've been testing for a proffesional company several AntiVirus-Progs (with several I mean 24) this one came out as the best. The proffesional company was the Dutch Rail Company (Nederlandse Spoorwegen)

File : MsgPlusSetupFile-A.tmp
Engine : KAV-Engine and RAV Engine
Virus : TrojanDownloader.Win32.Swizzor.ag
Virus Information : "TrojanDownloader.Win32.Swizzor.ag is no trojan itself, but this program is able to download a trojan silently from the internet."

The good thing is it removes itself, the tmp file I mean. The trojan is still active and trying to download/install other Trojans.
Not to go against what Patchou is saying, but the Sponsor app is a stripped down version by Patchou's demand. I bet they use the same installer as they would with their normal package causing the error message.
07-07-2004 02:14 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
It's true, but it's still a fact that even the full 'normal' package of lop.com doesn't contain any trojan or virus, just more ads :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
07-07-2004 05:45 AM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
And spyware, I would imagine :P
07-07-2004 09:26 AM
sonec

Hi, my name is nathan dermot and i work for wellingborough solicitors agents.

after reading your post i have seen that you have admitted to adding ad ware, and spy ware to you program.

now you  must realise that this is ILLEGAL and is a punishable offence.

my computer is now affected by a win32.trojandownloader.swizzor.br

i have the appropriate means for a case in which your web site will be shut down.

i would like to know how to remove this trojan downloader from my PC immediatly. or the case will go ahed.
02-02-2005 11:33 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

Hello Nathan,

It is illegal to install software on a computer without your consent, but there is no trojan in the software at all... and the mere fact that it has adware, which is optional rules out everything that you have just said.

The sponsor software is optional, therefore, when accepting to install such things, it was on your own accord, you should've chose not to install it, which you can. Without being so naive.

To be honest, you can just try and shut down msgplus.net, you probably don't have the correct knowledge about such a thing in any case, there isn't a single trojan in it, certain 'back doon' antivirus' detect messenger plus! as a trojan, one of which is AVG. I can assure you that it contains nothing apart from the optional sponsor.

If you would like to remove the optional sponsor from you computer, simply uninstall messenger plus! then you can reinstall messenger plus! and when it comes to a screen that has a silver toolbar on it, then press 'i refuse, do not install etc.'...

traxor.

ps. I'm guessing that you are using a less reliable Antivirus, such as BullGuard or AVG... If you would use something like Norton Antivirus or one of the 'upbrand' pieces of virus removal software, then you would see that it does not detect the sponsor software as a trojan.

This post was edited on 02-02-2005 at 11:47 AM by user27089.
02-02-2005 11:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: