What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Copyright Material

Copyright Material
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Copyright Material
As Some of you might know, I'm making an album called Rapper On Fire (Released In 6 Weeks with some luck (yn)). What I wnat to know is how can I copyright the lyrics so people won't steal them on me? I dont want all that hard work for some1 to take em of me, y'know?

Thanks for the help ppl

This post was edited on 07-20-2004 at 03:30 PM by MC Inferno.
07-19-2004 09:57 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Copyright Material
You need to register the lyrics with a bureau. This costs money. The amount depends on how you want it copyrighted (there are many formulas). I don't know all the different bureau's in England, I know them for Belgium, but you aren't helped with that I suppose...

Contact the organization that you must pay money to play music on parties and so. They are also handling this kind of thing and/or can give you more info and/or redirect you. (For Belgium, this is Sabam, and they will send you to a bureau like Almo, etc...)

On the internet you can find also some info:
http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000397.html
http://www.patent.gov.uk/ (click on copyright)
http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/

note: You will read and hear about the poor-mans-copyright-method... This means: sending your material to yourself in a closed envelop (and don't open it up), so that the date is registered. Although this is a form of copyrighting your material, this will not hold up in ANY court and has NO legal benefits... The point in copyrighting your material in a good way is that other people A) can't steal it and B) you can make money with it, because other people need to pay to use it....

This post was edited on 07-19-2004 at 10:26 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-19-2004 10:08 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Copyright Material
Agggh.... Ok Then. Cheer's For The Help.
07-20-2004 03:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

There is a much easier way, send them through too yourself recorded delievery, this is how my mate copyrights them, there is then evidence of the date and names.
07-26-2004 12:26 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
There is a much easier way, send them through too yourself recorded delievery, this is how my mate copyrights them, there is then evidence of the date and names.
Wrong!

Everyone seems to think that mailing work to yourself will protect you and copyright the work to you - but its wrong.

To copyright work to you, you don't need to do anything! Any work you create is automatically copyrighted to you as it is your work. You are the original creator and therefore you own full rights to the materials. As long as you have substantial evidence and proof that you were the original author then there should be no problem.

You can also opt to register your copyrighted materials, but it isn't really necessary.
07-26-2004 12:30 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I really did think that you needed too copyright it. Without a legal registered copyright then anybody can copy it, no matter how hard you moan, you can't sue them. So therefore, people can steal Inferno's lyrics and covers. They're very tight about this subject, and evidence can be a fraud, so i would really consider copyrighting your songs individually or something
07-26-2004 01:46 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
No, that would NOT hold up in court! and btw, I already talked about that in my first post (read the threads!):
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
note: You will read and hear about the poor-mans-copyright-method... This means: sending your material to yourself in a closed envelop (and don't open it up), so that the date is registered. Although this is a form of copyrighting your material, this will not hold up in ANY court and has NO legal benefits... The point in copyrighting your material in a good way is that other people A) can't steal it and B) you can make money with it, because other people need to pay to use it....

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
To copyright work to you, you don't need to do anything! Any work you create is automatically copyrighted to you as it is your work. You are the original creator and therefore you own full rights to the materials. As long as you have substantial evidence and proof that you were the original author then there should be no problem.
The thing that says "anything you make is automaticly copyrighted" isn't exactly true. Traxor made a valid point that if you don't do anything that it will not be protected in any way.

Furthermore, the point in registering and asking for a true copyright is that you can "sue" (or at least demand money) and proof that the work is yours. And also get money out of your work (people need to pay to use the material).

If that was automaticly true, then nobody had to register anything anymore and we wouldn't have "copyright-instances"....

But above all, the thing of the poor-mans-copyright-method is just a myth. You can't copyright work like that. The only thing that it will do is that you have a small (but realy VERY small) proof that you had access to the work at a certain date; it even doesn't proof that you are the owner, only that you had access to it <= and that's why it wont be legit proof of you being the owner...

When you register and pay for a copyright on your material, they will do research and find out if you even can copyright it. For instance, it could be that you used to much of other copyrighted materials to make your own "version", in that case you wont always get a copyright.

This post was edited on 07-26-2004 at 03:32 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-26-2004 03:26 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: