What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » No MsgPlus without WinMessenger?

No MsgPlus without WinMessenger?
Author: Message:
Darkness2k

Fear the Dark

41 / Male / –
O.P. No MsgPlus without WinMessenger?
I seem to have found a problem :|

Basically.. I was getting fed-up of Windows Messengers 5 process being run in the back ground, when I'm only using MSN Messenger 6.2.  (If you check the XP processes screen, it shows it running etc).

Theres nothing in the startup section to tell it to start, and I've even used the "Set program access and defaults" feature to deny access to the program.  Yet it still runs.

I found out the way to stop this, is by using the Group Policies to disable Windows Messenger 5 from being run.  This works fine, until you try to use MSN Messenger 6.2 and MSGPlus! together... which results in either the MSN Messenger 6.2 program to freeze, or to go black (apart from the toolbar) and then freeze.  MSN Messenger 6.2 would run fine if MSGPlus! was not running.  Unfortunatly, for now, I've had to re-enable Windows Messenger 5 (wasting resources) so that I can use MSN Messenger 6.2 and MSGPlus! together! :@

I've tried uninstalling, and reinstalling MSGPlus! to no avail.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Welcome to the Darkness

MSGPlus Version: 3.40.112
MSN Messenger Version: 7.0.0425
Windows Messenger Version: 5.1.0.639
07-06-2004 01:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: No MsgPlus without WinMessenger?
Msgplus and MSN Messenger worked fine with me without Windows Messenger for months, yesterday I had to reinstall Windows Messenger because I had to help someone with it and it's not running in the background. There's an option under Extra --> Options --> Preferences called "Run Windows Messenger on the background". Uncheck this and try again. You can also try to uninstall Windows Messenger completely.

Removing Windows Messenger: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

This post was edited on 07-06-2004 at 01:13 PM by Kryptonate.
07-06-2004 01:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
Do you use any plug-ins that might be causing this?
07-06-2004 01:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Darkness2k
I found out the way to stop this, is by using the Group Policies to disable Windows Messenger 5 from being run.  This works fine, until you try to use MSN Messenger 6.2 and MSGPlus! together... which results in either the MSN Messenger 6.2 program to freeze, or to go black (apart from the toolbar) and then freeze.  MSN Messenger 6.2 would run fine if MSGPlus! was not running.  Unfortunatly, for now, I've had to re-enable Windows Messenger 5 (wasting resources) so that I can use MSN Messenger 6.2 and MSGPlus! together!

Thats because you proberly are using a plugin that needs the API from Windows Messenger (like Tochjo suggested) and because you can't simply disable Windows Messenger by the method you used and expect things to work just fine....

For very detailed info on this:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=26...d=258821#pid258821
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-06-2004 01:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Darkness2k

Fear the Dark

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: No MsgPlus without WinMessenger?
So I take it, its these plugins that are also causing Windows Messenger to run in the first place?

I just deleted all but two of the plugins anyway... I'll see if that stops Windows Messenger being run in the first place.

I don't see why all the API's behind Windows Messenger arn't put into MSN Messenger anyway...  Looks like thats the way things are going in Longhorn though... latest build has both versions of Messenger in the same directory (one with a different filename)... but both called Windows Messenger even though one appears like MSN Messenger 6!
Welcome to the Darkness

07-06-2004 01:56 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
The API is implemented by Windows Messenger true, but MSN Messenger also has them: it just uses WinMsg for the actual implementation. I've actually written a simple plugin that uses the Messenger API, and that avoids running WinMsg in the background.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-06-2004 02:48 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
If plugins are written correctly, they don't use Windows Messenger. The plugin API of Messenger Plus! gives a direct access to the API, however, some plugins like the Screenshot Sender contain some bugs.
[Image: signature2.gif]
07-07-2004 01:57 AM
Darkness2k

Fear the Dark

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: No MsgPlus without WinMessenger?
Yes I did have that Screenshot Sender... then I realised I never used it (or most of the plugins I've collected lol) so I've gone down to Handwriting Plugin (MsnHandWriting.dll) and RDM Speech (MSSpeechForMsgPlus.dll).

Thanks for the help guys/gals :P
Welcome to the Darkness

07-07-2004 10:18 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
You can't. VB has to know what's in the library in order to be able to compile the DLL.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-07-2004 01:25 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: