What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Import/Export Settings

Import/Export Settings
Author: Message:
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. Import/Export Settings
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this?
I got hold of a new laptop and went through the process of installing everything (including msn 6.2 and msgplus 3) and then signed into msn realising that my settings would not be on this computer. so i went to the old computer and chose the option in preferences save/load and then exported my settings to the hard disk. i then emailed these settings to myself and went back to the laptop went into plus preferences and chose import these settings. i received the message that this was completed successfully. My settings however were not present. Since then i have restarted msn as well as the computer hoping they would be loaded on next launch. They were not and now i do not have such things as custom names for every contact in list, quick texts, etc.
If someone could help me with this in order to have my settings on both computers that wouldbe great. Thankyou for help.
Daniel
[Image: wetpix%20sig.png]
07-10-2004 11:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Matthew_wehttaM

RE: Import/Export Settings
this may not be as helpful but try importing them again
07-10-2004 05:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Hum..... my guess would be that you were not signed in with your usual account when you did the import. I'm pretty sure that it will work fine if you import while being signed in, then restart Messenger. Let us know!
[Image: signature2.gif]
07-10-2004 06:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Import/Export Settings
Ok took your advice and tried again. Msn is the same email account on a different computer. First computer is win98 second one that im am trying to load plus settings on is winxp.
I signed in with my account and went to preferences the save/load and chose to import. found the file called something like "MessengerPlus!settingsfor<name>@hotmail.pld" and then selected that one. I was told the process had been completed successfully and i then took patchous advice and signed out and completely exited MSN then opened msn once again and signed in.
Upon signing in my the default preferences were still there with such quick texts as slapping with a tuna fish etc.
If someone can further help me with this so i can get all my 140 custom names back as well as the rest of the settings i had like quick texts.
Thankyou
07-11-2004 07:33 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
Maybe it's because of a registry mess? Try this:

In the old PC, go to Start > Run, type "regedit" and press enter.
Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2 and open it (click the "+"). Select your e-mail address and go to File > Export, save it (for example, save it as "oldconfig.reg"). Copy this file to your laptop.

Now, in your laptop, close MSN Messenger and Plus (press CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to Processes and terminate "msnmsgr.exe" and "msgplus.exe"). Go to Start > Run, type "regedit" and press enter. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2. Select "MsgPlus2" and go to File > Export and save it (for example, save it as "backup.reg"). If something goes wrong, you can double-click backup.reg and you'll restore these settings. Expand "MsgPlus2" (click the "+") and look for your e-mail address, delete it if you find it (press Del). Now locate the "oldconfig.reg" file and double-click it, say yes when it asks you if you want to add it to the registry. Run MsgPlus (usually located at C:\Program files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe) and MSN Messenger, log in into your account and check what happens.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
07-11-2004 08:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dan0208
I signed in with my account and went to preferences the save/load and chose to import.
Well, ok, but you start here at import... what happend to export? I mean, by reading your post everything seems to work just fine. The one thing I don't see anywhere is how you exported the settings...

What Patchou said is that you must be logged in while you use the import/export wizard. Only logging in while importing wouldn't help and will only overwrite your settings for that account if you didn't logged in while you exported. And that's why the settings-file has the default settings....

So...
Exporting
* Go to your Win98 PC. Log in with the account from where you want your settings saved. Export your settings to a new settings-file.

* Copy that file and...

Importing
* Go to your WinXP PC. Log in in with the account where you want the settings saved. Import the new settings-file...

This post was edited on 07-11-2004 at 10:19 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-11-2004 10:16 AM
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Import/Export Settings
Cookie:
quote:
Exporting
* Go to your Win98 PC. Log in with the account from where you want your settings saved. Export your settings to a new settings-file.

* Copy that file and...

Importing
* Go to your WinXP PC. Log in in with the account where you want the settings saved. Import the new settings-file...

I did exactly this. On the win98 pc i logged in with the account and exported settings to the harddrive then logged out of msn on this pc. Next i emailed this file to myself and when and got it on the winxp pc and saved it to harddrive. I then signed in to msn with the same username on the winxp pc and went to import settings from file and found the settings file "MessengerPlus!settingsfor<name>@hotmail.pld". In the wizard every check box was ticked as to what to import. the wizard then told me the process was complete.
I signed out of msn and exited from it completely in the taskbar. I then loaded msn and signed in and my newly imported settings were not there???

Lopardo:
quote:
Maybe it's because of a registry mess? Try this:
I would rather not play with the registry unless i really have to as i am not that sure as to what to do. If it comes down to it and everyone says that is the only way to overcome the problem then id be happy follow some instructions on what to do in the registry.

So everyone if it comes to it i will do the registry idea (thanks for the help lopardo) otherwise can anyone help me through this without going through the registry?
Thanks
07-11-2004 10:34 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
Plus settings are in the registry...
07-11-2004 09:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yes, but messing with the registry isn't recommended if you are not familiar with it.... You can realy *beep* up your PC if you do something wrong (and you don't have to do much to do that)...

Anyways, Dan0208, like you described it, it should've worked... strange it didn't.... so, yes, if your up to it do as lopardo told you....

But to make sure you don't mess things up, make a "restore point" in XP before you start doing things... (you don't have to worry about the win98 machine as you wont alter anything there, you will only save some things there)...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-11-2004 10:48 PM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
yes, but messing with the registry isn't recommended if you are not familiar with it.... You can realy *beep* up your PC if you do something wrong (and you don't have to do much to do that)...
Well, you're too pessimistic :) If he follows my instructions exactly and carefully, then nothing wrong should happen, I even described how to back up Plus keys (it doesn't affect the system at all)...

07-12-2004 02:58 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: