What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [hardware?] computer boot problems

[hardware?] computer boot problems
Author: Message:
user2319
Disabled Account

O.P. [hardware?] computer boot problems
specs are at the bottom.

I have built my own computer, and it worked great for some weeks. But now I have a problem. It won't boot anymore. When I insert the power cable (not pressing the button, inserting the power cable, or hitting the switch on the PSU) it looks like it is booting, which it shouldn't, because I haven't pressed the power button. But anyway, for a few seconds, the fans spin. Then the fans stop spinning. The green light on the mobo indicating that it gets power, stays on. The first thing I thought was that it might be the PSU. I removed the HDD, Diskette station and DVD-player. Now only one memory module, the CPU, and the Mobo are left. Graphics card is on-board. Still, the same thing happens. I have put the memory module in the other bank. Still the same. I have taken out the CPU, and put it in again. I have tried to use an other PSU (though it is a weak PSU, so I can't exclude the PSU from the list of things that can be broken). I don't get any beeps, and I don't see anything on the screen. Does anyone know what might be broken, and how I can check? I think it might be the memory, PSU, CPU or mobo. Basically everything important. Computer specs:

• AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Boxed
  • Kingston 512 MB DDR Memory
  • ASUS A7N8X-VM motherboard
  • Enlight EN4102 ATX Tower with 300watt PSU
07-14-2004 01:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
RE: [hardware?] computer boot problems
Well you should have the power off when you plug the power into the PSU.  If the fan spins briefly when power is connected then there is power to the Motherboard.  I think you may have shorted the PSU.  My mate did the same thing to his.

300W is the minimum reccomended for Athlon XP Barton CPU's.  You may want to take the opportunity to upgrade it to a 350W+.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-14-2004 01:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: [hardware?] computer boot problems
The PSU might be damaged, but then the mobo shouldn't get power, and I know that 300w is recommended for Athlon XP's with a Barton core, but it should work when hdd and dvd-palyer and diskette-station are disconnected, and it worked before.. :-/
07-14-2004 01:55 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

anyone?
07-16-2004 10:12 AM
sasquatch

Odi et amo.

36 / Male / –
i'm dunno much but culd it possibly be a BIOS malfunction in instructions to the power supply?
Dare to dream.
07-16-2004 09:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

I've had the same problem... it's a bios/motherboard problem
07-16-2004 09:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
sasquatch

Odi et amo.

36 / Male / –
hmm, if ME is right... then this culd be huge... hard to access BIOS on a seperate computer

Suggestion: hope its under waranty; however, u can always reset the bios to original factory settings, check u MoBo manual and it shuld tell u which pins u need to short to reset it
Dare to dream.
07-16-2004 09:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

ME, what MoBo do you have? I have an Asus A7N8X-VM. I don't know if it still has warranty, but I suppose so :P I will try a Clear CMOS, but I don't understand step two in the motherboard manual.

Sasquatch, a BIOS malfunction in instructions to the power supply? Does the BIOS instruct the PSU?!?

quote:
2. Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC1)
This jumper clears the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM of date, time and system setup parameters in CMOS. The RAM data in CMOS is powered by the onboard button cell battery.
To erase the RTC RAM:
1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Remove the battery
3. Move the jumper caps from [1-2] to [2-3] momentarily. Replace the jumper cap to the original position, [1-2].
4. Re-install the battery.
5. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
6. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

[picture of mobo lay-out; Clear RTC RAM circled]

[picture of the jumper settings for Normal (Default) and Clear CMOS]

edit: nevermind, already found out!

edit 2: :'( didn't work... but I think you were right, and it might be the Mobo, since the mobo shouldn't even give power to the fans! (the fans are connected to the mobo, the mobo to the PSU. It should be in "standby", and not give power to the fans!)

This post was edited on 07-17-2004 at 05:43 PM by user2319.
07-17-2004 05:39 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: