What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » messenger delays....

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
messenger delays....
Author: Message:
canadianbeauty67

42 / Female / –
O.P. Sad  messenger delays....
hey, i was wondering if NE one out here is experiencing the same problem as me....

lately when using my msn when i type something it has about a 5sec delay before it appears in the chat window.  also msn seems to 'freeze' or something during this delay because i'll alt+tab to another window no problem but when i alt+tab back to msn it takes about 5 secs to respond....

everything seems to be having a 5sec delay actually. my toasts for contacts signing in are late. i know this because i'll get a msg from someone who has just signed in before i get the toast. also, i have msgplus3 on my puter, and the toasts for that program show up before msn's official toasts popup.   this has never happened before

i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling msn and it's still slow....

i've also spybotted and adawared until i'm blue in the face.  nothing seems to help....

what's the deal? a friend of mine is experiencing the same problem. she does not have msgplus or NE other plugins on her puter. we both us xp for an OS.  we both also use norton utilities for our firewall, but that's nvr caused a problem before....

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanx bunches!
jamie;0)

This post was edited on 07-15-2004 at 06:57 PM by canadianbeauty67.
07-15-2004 06:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: messenger delays....
Are you both using any MSN Patches, or Skins?
It is possible both your computers haven't been defragmented for a while and as a result are doing some small things like that slowly...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
07-15-2004 07:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

it's just the pc that fscks up if you ask me... can't be anything todo with the software... what are your system specs?
07-15-2004 07:47 PM
canadianbeauty67

42 / Female / –
O.P. RE: RE: messenger delays....
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
it's just the pc that fscks up if you ask me... can't be anything todo with the software... what are your system specs?

system specs?  say wha?  im sorry im not to wonderful with computer terminology.... msn is the only program that has a delay.

and to answer someone above's question, yes i do you skins.  i'm currently using shady's xbox from the windowsXEdition compilation(?) skin.
07-16-2004 07:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Try using an unpatched MSN Messenger, reinstall MSN Messenger and see if the problem still exists....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-16-2004 07:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
sasquatch

Odi et amo.

36 / Male / –
system spec = processor + clock speed (eg. Pentium 4 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.8 GHz), operating system (eg. Windows XP), amount of RAM (eg. 128 MB or 512 MB)

also, ur internet connection might help (dial-up, ADSL, cable), it culd possibly be that ur connection to the server is lagging (slow) which could cause the delayed toasts and messages on your end

also, it could be that your behind a firewall or router that doesn't allow direct access to the MSN server

also try wut CookieRevised said up above, could be any of those
Dare to dream.
07-16-2004 10:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
19nazzy

Yeah I'm having the same problem as well. Win XP, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 512 DDR, Cable Internet. I've never had the problem before. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling and all the other fun stuff. Weird thing is that the other accounts on XP have no problem, it seems I am the only one with the problem on this computer. I have no skins or anything so I'm stumped
07-19-2004 01:32 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Its probably one of those wonderful little server bugs that only afflicts certain users. :dodgy:
:refuck: MS Testers, not doing their jobs properly.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-19-2004 09:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
19nazzy

I emailed msn support and here's the response

I understand that you are facing a delay in sending the instant messages to your contacts in MSN Messenger. However, I would like to inform you that this may be due to your slow internet connection speed. Hence I suggest you to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) who will be able to assist you better.

Also, make sure that you do not open or run too many applications while using MSN Messenger. Thank you for your kind co-operation.

However if the problem still persists, I recommend you to uninstall and reinstall MSN Messenger manually.

It is recommended that before you install MSN Messenger 6.1, you must uninstall any version of MSN Messenger currently installed on your PC.

Before uninstalling MSN Messenger, you must first close your Internet Explorer and Outlook programs.

Please follow the steps to uninstall and reinstall MSN Messenger:

a. Remove all earlier versions of MSN Messenger:

1. Click Start, click Run, type %temp% in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. In the Temporary Files window, on the File menu, click Edit.
3. Click Select All, and then press DELETE.
4. When prompted if you are sure you want to send files to the Recycle Bin, click Yes.
5. Close the Temporary Files window.
6. Click Start, click Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
7. In the search box, type MsnMsgs.exe, and then press ENTER.
8. Delete any files that appear in the search results.

b. Manually download MSN Messenger:

1. Visit http://messenger.msn.com/Download/OS.aspx.
2. In the far left of the screen, click Download, and then click Download Now.
3. Click Save to disk, and then save the Messenger installation program to your desktop. The file name is MsnMsgs.exe.
4. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
5. In the command prompt, do the following:

a. Type cd\, press ENTER, type set temp=c:\, and then press ENTER.
b. Type %temp%, and then verify the setting is to c:\.

You will receive an error message stating that "c:\" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file if you are already in the drive C. This is typical.

c. Drag SetupDl.exe into the command prompt. The file automatically enters as: c:\windows\desktop\ SetupDl.exe.
d. Press ENTER. Installation begins.
e. At the command prompt, type exit and then press ENTER.

After the installation is complete, please restart your computer before launching MSN Messenger.

You should now be able to see an icon of MSN Messenger in the taskbar. However, if you are not able to see the icon, please go to ‘Start’ and then click on ‘Programs’. Now, click on the MSN Messenger program from the list of programs. Double-click the icon and the Messenger main window will open up. Click on the ‘sign-in’ button and then enter your sign-in name or e-mail address and the password to sign in to MSN Messenger.
--------------
It can't be my ISP because my friends in the same city are having no problems with it so I'm gonna do that stuff above later. I hope it helps anyone else
07-20-2004 02:07 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by 19nazzy
1. Click Start, click Run, type %temp% in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. In the Temporary Files window, on the File menu, click Edit.
3. Click Select All, and then press DELETE.
4. When prompted if you are sure you want to send files to the Recycle Bin, click Yes.
5. Close the Temporary Files window.
I can't see the rest helping at all, so just try this bit first.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-20-2004 08:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: