What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Help with "COMPLETE" uninstall.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Help with "COMPLETE" uninstall.
Author: Message:
lanceB

O.P. Help with "COMPLETE" uninstall.
:@*takes a deep breath and counts to 10*

yes, i even tried the instructions per the sticky post above and that did not work either

ok i installed this progam cause a friend said it was a neato thing to try. after installing it i noticed that there were about 50 new bookmarks added to my favorties in INetEplorer, also the program removed my google toolbar and replaced it with a different, also i get weird pop-ups(advertisements) after the install, my ad-aware/ad-watch is going crazy trying to keep most of this crap from going on. After running an ad-aware sweep i find that it has also installed 159 pieces of spyware/adware/tracking cookies and god knows what else.

Did i ask for all the browser *cough* enhancements? no i did not. Did i ask for it to install a new search bar in internet explorer? no i did not. netier did i ask for all the extra bookmarks/spyware/adware/trackign cookies and whatever else it installed without my knowledge.

So i  decided to unistall all this crap, but low and behold the program did not uninstall everything it installed. the search bar was not uninstalled so everytime i open internet explorer this program trys to hijack my default home page, i still get pop ups that somehow amazingly by pas google pop-up blocker.

needless to say i am VERY dissatisfied with msgplus.

. I demand to know how to remove all the stuff that was leftover after uninstalling it. i jsut reformated and reinstalled windows only two days ago and would hate to have to go thru it again jsut to get rid of the annoying nuances that this "nifty" program has left over.

contact me however youi wish my email & msn messenger contact information is lballantyne@sbcglobal.net.

please help!!!

edit: oh ya, im Running Windows xp home and windows messenger 4.7. i have all the latest updates and drivers installed for my OS and hardware.

This post was edited on 07-16-2004 at 04:28 AM by lanceB.
07-16-2004 04:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Help with "COMPLETE" uninstall.
Does this image look familiar? This is the license agreement at during the installation of Plus! unfortunatly you cannot get mad as you didn't read the options along the bottom and what you are actually agreeing too.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=278635]

Try the Lop.Com Unsintaller as well for c2media who creates the sponsor program.

.gif File Attachment: Sponsor Agreement.gif (20.66 KB)
This file has been downloaded 394 time(s).

This post was edited on 07-16-2004 at 04:35 AM by matty.
07-16-2004 04:33 AM
lanceB

O.P. RE: Help with "COMPLETE" uninstall.
Yes i does look familiar. i know what i agreed to, i read all EULA when installing software.  but nowhere does it state that it will hijack you browser and install 160 pieces of spyware/adware/tracking cookies.  thats what i want to uninstall. the messenger plugin is great i jsut dont want all the extra crap that came with it. it all would have been fine if they had made the user TRULY FULLY aware of jsut what exactly it was going to install and what it was goning to do after the install.(N)

This post was edited on 07-16-2004 at 04:40 AM by lanceB.
07-16-2004 04:36 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Now if the EULA said the sponsor program changes your start page, adds a search bar and adds links in your favorites would you still install it? No you wouldn't. How else is Patchou going to get money from Messenger Plus!. Its his life he really doesn't do anything else. (Sorry Patch) Also be happy that the Sponsor Application isn't full blown. Patchou has made the creators take out alot to keep his users happy.

And if you reinstalled Windows 2 days ago, it would make more sense to quickly wipe the partition (format c: /autotest /q) and install Windows XP using smartdrv). But thats my 2cents.

Also Spyware/Adware are the exact same thing. Tracking cookies are given to you by websites not by the Sponsor App. I am a beta tester of Plus! and everytime installed a beta I installed the sponsor app to test it. No complaints here.

Also for shits and giggles I read the entire license agreement like you claimed to have. This is straight from the EULA and I quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Messenger Plus! Sponsor Program EULA

2)  By accepting these terms and conditions, the Software will be installed on your computer and your web browser home page and search page will be changed in order to allow access and use of the Software.  You further understand that various toolbars and other enhancements such as an Accessory Toolbar, a Desktop Toolbar and a Pass-Through Toolbar may be added to your computer, including your desktop and web browser.  The Accessory Toolbar will be added to your web browser and will remain visible as long as the Software is installed and the search page for your web browsers auto search option and default error page are set to a web page determined by the Software.  Upon Installation of the Software and the Accessory Toolbar, any other toolbars currently visible will be deactivated, but may be manually reactivated, such as through the view menu of your web browser.  If you change your home page, search page or default error page after installation of the Software, a Pass-Through Toolbar will be installed at the bottom of your web browser and shall remain active as long as the Software is installed and information related to such change, including but not limited to the web address (URL), for the new home page, search page and default error page will be sent to C2's servers or third party servers.  The Software does not track the URL of any other website that you or any user visits.  A Desktop Toolbar will be installed on your computer as a stand-alone module.  Installation of the Software may also add bookmarks to your computer and web browser, and shortcuts to the desktop and various menus.  The added bookmarks and shortcuts may be removed manually or via un-installation of the Software.  If incorrect host-file entries are detected for this Software's related domain names, those entries will be removed in order for this software to function properly. 

4) Acceptance of this Agreement may be indicated by downloading and installing the Software.  Bookmarking to a web page whereby this Agreement is by-passed shall constitute an implicit acceptance of the foregoing terms herein set forth for any copies downloaded or installed by such by-pass.  You, or any user, may terminate this Agreement at any time, by removing the Software from your computer through any one of the above described methods, and destroying any other copies of the Software.

6)  The Software may display advertisements or additional content that contain links to third party websites and such links to third party websites should not imply an endorsement or approval of C2 of the material on such third party websites.  These third party websites are not under any control of C2 and C2 is not responsible for the content available on such third party websites.  Accessing any such third party websites shall be at your, or the users own risk.

Now by sitting there and telling me you read it and didn't know what it was going to do is just a BS lie and I caught you in it.

This post was edited on 07-16-2004 at 04:50 AM by matty.
07-16-2004 04:42 AM
lanceB

the thread was started asking for help and all you can do is grief someone. its a wonder how you ever became a tester. did i ask you to prove me wrong? NO! did i ask about how or why this crap was installed? NO!

so you caught me big deal^o). so what, fuck you:@, you piece of shit. all i did was ask for help uninstalling all the left over shit and all you do is flame me, what a worthless piece of shit you are(Y).

07-16-2004 07:32 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
I think the best thing you can do is reboot, install Messenger Plus! with the sponsor program, reboot, uninstall Messenger Plus! following the instructions at http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598, then reboot again.

That should really work :)

This post was edited on 07-16-2004 at 07:57 PM by Tochjo.
07-16-2004 07:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Hi lanceB,

It seems while installing Messenger Plus! you have installed the sponsor program by mistake: you selected I ACCEPT, install the sponsor in the installation program. Please note this is not spyware it's simply a small search bar for Internet Explorer so Patchou (the creator of Messenger Plus!)  so he can make a living off it...

If before doing the below you have attempted to remove the sponsor program by any other method, like spyware and adware removal tools, messed around in the registry or tried to delete files you must install Messenger Plus! again with the sponsor program before doing this...

To uninstall it go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and double click on "Messenger Plus!" (or click on Remove). Then "Messenger Plus! - Setup" is displayed.
Click on the Uninstall button. after a couple of seconds, the program will ask you if you want to keep your preferences, it is suggested to say "Yes".
Then you'll be asked to type in the number displayed in the box then click Uninstall.
Now you must click Yes when asked to confirm the uninstall...If you're asked to close Internet explorer or any program do so. Now restart your computer and the sponsor program will be gone.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
07-16-2004 07:55 PM
lanceB

see matty, instead of being an ass and looking for a way to flame me why couldn't you have been as helpful as these other 2 people, shit you call yourself a helper or tester.

thanks you 2 for the advice, and Matty, thanks for nothing
07-16-2004 08:26 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
well maybe if you didnt get so angry, and accepted other people's points of view, he wouldnt have to get 'angry'.

There weren't ANY swear words aimed at you, unlike your post:

quote:
Originally posted by lanceB
fuck you, you piece of shit.
quote:
hat a worthless piece of shit you are
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
07-16-2004 08:50 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
see matty, instead of being an ass and looking for a way to flame me why couldn't you have been as helpful as these other 2 people, shit you call yourself a helper or tester.

thanks you 2 for the advice, and Matty, thanks for nothing
matty tells the truth. if you can't handle the truth just don't use a computer. a computer is based on FACTS, not on how gentle your hard drive is. and windows will never offer you a help window when it crashes.

what do you prefer: an explanation of your problem or a fix? the first one does more than the second one... you actually know what happens.
quote:
its a wonder how you ever became a tester.
did you? no? so stfu

This post was edited on 07-16-2004 at 08:53 PM by Millenium_edition.
07-16-2004 08:51 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: