What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Feature Suggestion for Chat-log

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Feature Suggestion for Chat-log
Author: Message:
Shadow Brujah

41 / Male / –
O.P. Grin  Feature Suggestion for Chat-log
Hi Everybody,
Iīm new on this Forum, and iīll start to read and post today.

Iīm using MSGPlus for a long time, and i really enjoy the features!

So, letīs talk about my idea:

Iīve been logging my conversations since 2002, and i have a lot of text files, in different layouts.

To complicate, iīve been using 3 different computers: one in my house, one in my workplace, and one in my parentīs house. So, I have 3 different text files for each contact, for each month.

To complicate a bit more, i have a brother, and he uses my computer and my parentīs computer. And he have in his contact list some of contacts that i have too. So, i have some text files with chats from him and from me.

For me, this is a Problem.
So, i got an idea: To save this conversation in a commom place, in the Internet, and have - in any part of the World - an organized chat log.

First i thinked in a FTP Server... but now i think is better a DATABASE server, like Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL.

Most web hosts offer this service, and I have a SQL Server Account in one service provider... Shoud be good if i can, in MSGplus setup, configure a connection to an ODBC-like database, and save my conversation in a easy way.

Itīs just a suggestion! Think about it!

PS. Sorry my english... if i commited some mistakes. Iīm Brazilian and my primary language is Portuguese.

Thanks for your atention,
Regards
- Daniel

This post was edited on 07-20-2004 at 02:28 PM by Shadow Brujah.
[Image: shadow_brasil.jpg]
07-20-2004 02:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: Feature Suggestion for Chat-log
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Brujah
To complicate a bit more, i have a brother, and he uses my computer and my parentīs computer. And he have in his contact list some of contacts that i have too. So, i have some text files with chats from him and from me.
each one of you should save your logs in diferent folders.

quote:
but now i think is better a DATABASE server, like Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL.
that would make that plus would be very much bigger in size, because it'd need to include code to access the DB. I disagree with that option.
quote:
First i thinked in a FTP Server...
that may be a better idea. Plus can save log in any place that you can access with the explorer, so you can enter a shared folder (\\something_like\this) or connect to a remote drive and assign a letter (Z:)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-22-2004 08:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
While all this is being done, u could save it in ur web inbozx as a template as a quick fix, copy and paste style. u know, jus while ur waiting.....
07-26-2004 12:40 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
hennot

43 / Male / –
I can very much relate to original poster's concern and I think that this idea is great. FTP would be good and database sounds even better because then we wouldn't have to worry about overwriting files (as with sending logfiles over slow connection and internet connection dies or computer crashes).

Would the database logging be doable as a plugin?

This post was edited on 09-09-2004 at 12:58 PM by hennot.
09-09-2004 12:56 PM
Shadow Brujah

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Feature Suggestion for Chat-log
No, itīs impossible to make as a plug-in for MSGPlus. We need to interact directly with MSN Messenger.

I already searched the Internet for some documentation, but i was unsucessful to do it...

Patchou shoud think about do it in next release... a lot of people can use this!

Regards
- Daniel
09-09-2004 01:25 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
And even more people wont use it....

I agree with Choli that this is something not for Plus!. If you want your chatlogs organized, use a 3rd party application to organize them (or even put them in a DB)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-09-2004 01:30 PM
Shadow Brujah

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Feature Suggestion for Chat-log
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And even more people wont use it....

I agree with Choli that this is something not for Plus!. If you want your chatlogs organized, use a 3rd party application to organize them (or even put them in a DB)

Tell me the name of this program, and Iīll never disturb anymore. :D

I know the big part of people will not use this feature, but not because itīs a useless feature... Because the people do not know that a Database server exists! Do not know who to use, to configure, etc.

But some advanced users do, and iīm sure theyīll enjoy this feature. I guess itīs not hard to add in the MSGPlus, the program already can handle the conversation! Just add a way to execute INSERT commands in the configured ODBC database and itīs done!

Regards
- Daniel
09-09-2004 01:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It's not because they don't know it exists or how to use it (well, they there will be people that don't know it of course). Most people wont simply have the need/use for it.

Personaly I don't see why a DB is handier then just old plain Windows Explorer to read and organize the logs. I have also multiple accounts on multiple PC's and I have no problem with them, as I keep everything nice and organized within Windows Explorer... ("Making things more complicated then needed" comes into my mind tbh)

And as Choli also said, you can use shared drivers, this is just a common Windows "thing". In that way, you can make a nice directory for each account, for each PC on a shared drive. No need for a DB at all...

Also, there are many programs which can import files to databases. Search the net.... This is actualy not a specific problem, so this means you can use whatever you like to create a database. (even common MS Access if you like). It's like "tell me a program which can read a textfile", there are hundreds of possebilities....

This post was edited on 09-09-2004 at 01:48 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-09-2004 01:46 PM
Shadow Brujah

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Feature Suggestion for Chat-log
Ok, I understand. And I can handle my files in a single computer... no problem. But if I use a second computer, this one will create a file with same name, and if i simply dragīnīdrop this files in the same folder, one file will be overwritten, and iīll lost it. If I want to preserve all conversation, Iīll need to open, copy manually and past in another file, and taking carrefull to sort correctly the conversations.

I can see a lot of good point to save chats in a database server:
1 - No problem with backups, virus, accidental file deletion, etc: all conversation are stored in a different place and (in theory) safe.
2 - I can query the Conversation in any form I need: By Date, By User, By User and Date, By text, etc.
3 - Using a Business Inteligence Tool, like Cognos, I can generate some reports for conversations relating the chats for a lot of users (useful for big companys that users MSN Messenger as default messager).
4 - I can use any computer, in any part of the world, with any configuration, to save and consult my logs. (Lanhouses, cyber cafes, home, office, museum, library, etc)
5 - A Database connection like SQLServer is much times faster than a FTP Connection, and we do not need to download and upload files... Just run a query! Itīs is faster than Windows Explorer network over Internet... itīs very very slow using a Dial-up or 256k DSL Connection. With a SQLServer, I use without problems with my 33.6Kbps modem.
6 - We can export this data in any format we want: Text files, Access MDB, Foxpro DBF, XML, etc.

Regards
- Daniel

This post was edited on 09-09-2004 at 02:19 PM by Shadow Brujah.
09-09-2004 02:13 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
just as a thaught, maybe Plus! could connect to ftp servers,

in the logs directory field, you enter a ftp location

(like ftp://yourname@ftp.yourserver.com)

then there is some place to enter the password (maybe as a pop-up dialogue with the option to save password when you open a conversation for the first time)

therefore people who want to use the feature can when they want, yet it wont clog up the messenger plus interface with an extra feature.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
09-09-2004 07:47 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: