What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Real Media (rm and rmvb) question

Real Media (rm and rmvb) question
Author: Message:
Twan

No Inspiration

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Real Media (rm and rmvb) question
i realy want to edit these files to make a music video   but windows movie maker and adobe premiere are not compitable with these files.... that kinda sux         

does anyone know a program for what i want. ??:)  (or a plugin for movie maker of premiere)

PS: i allready did encode it to .avi but than he quality is more bad and when you want a good quality you have to encode with xvid or something and than a original file of 30 MB becomes 130 MB :dodgy:

This post was edited on 07-23-2004 at 11:06 AM by Twan.
Back Again.
07-21-2004 12:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Real Media (rm and rmvb) question
What you have to understand about the RealAudio and RealVideo formats is that Real owns them, and as such don't let anyone else make programs that support them, and as for converting, I think the legal options are none.  That leaves Real's own collection of corporately priced editing software.  When I looked it up, I was quite surprised to find that their main editing suite, RealProducer, does have a free version.  However, if "Job File Saving, re-using, and sharing support" means saving any work you've done, then you won't get very far, although that might only mean saving the structure of your work (i.e. you might be able to export but have to start over once you exit).  I can't guarantee it's not as ad-ridden as RealPlayer RealOne Player RealPlayer is either.  In fact, looking at the comparison chart, all your can really do in full is bastardise your media collection into the inflexible, monopolistic formats owned by Real.  But you can give it a go, just to see.  If not, there's the $200 pro version.  I bet Real didn't see that choice coming.
07-21-2004 01:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Twan

No Inspiration

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Real Media (rm and rmvb) question
i guess you're right that real owns it..  so program converters like EO Video are illegal ?? 

but yeah i will download the program you told me to and i will see what i can do.. 

thnk you very much for your help and if i have more questions about it    i will ask it here
Back Again.
07-21-2004 03:35 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Real Media (rm and rmvb) question
I just had a look at EO Video, and it simply uses an instance of the Real media player integrated into it.  So long as it says that this part was developed by Real, it's legal.  I suspect the converter simply plays the realvideo and captures it into another format.  I don't know if that's legal but it's very lossy so Real probably aren't that bothered about it.
07-23-2004 10:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Twan

No Inspiration

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Real Media (rm and rmvb) question
alright :)

but everything worked out  i can make avi files out of rm/rmvb with EO video now :D and i can make rmvb files out of avi and other files with helix producer plus:D  so i am happy with that off course

thnx again

Twan:)
Back Again.
07-23-2004 11:06 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: