What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » CSS Stylesheet help

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
CSS Stylesheet help
Author: Message:
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: CSS Stylesheet help
Of course it does (a) :P
07-24-2004 01:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chris
a:hover {color: #80c0c0; text-decoration:underline}
a:link { color: ##ff0000 }
a:visited { color: #ff0000 }
a:active { color: #ff0000 }

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
As for the A tag, It's always better to define
A:link, A:visited, A:hover{
blahblahblah
}

(Some say that A:active and A:focus are also needed, but I don't think they make differences )
"focus" is not a valid attribute/tag...(Oops, sorry. Thanks for the correction, Mnjul ;))
Also,  "active" is different then link, visisted and hover....

"link": defines a not yet visited link when it is basicly shown without you hovering and/or clicking on it....
"visited": defines a already visited link when it is basicly shown without you hovering and/or clicking on it....
"hover": defines a link when you're hovering over it but not clicking it....
"active": defines a link when you click on it (when you hold down the mousebutton on it)....

There is also a certain order for placing these attributes in your stylesheet if you define them individualy! The right order is: link, visited, hover, active...

like so:

<style type="text/css">
  a:link {color: #FF0000}
  a:visited {color: #00FF00}
  a:hover {color: #FF00FF}
  a:active {color: #0000FF}
</style>

PS: you don't need ; if you only use 1 line of definitions...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Also you need to specify units for the font size really. Commonly used is pixels, but you can use % or ems values. Google them to find out what they mean. Sorry for trying to complicate your CSS
No, you don't. When you don't specify units the default "pt" (points) is used. And using "pt" is way better then using "px" (pixels)!!! Many people forget that not all people have the standard 92DPI setting for there monitor. People with big monitors have for example 150DPI. This mean that a pixel shown with 150DPI is much much smaller then when it is shown on 92DPI, so if you use "px" your font will be very small compared to what you  intend to. If you use "pt" then your font will be measured in points, and points are always the same, no matter what DPI setting....
In short, try to realy avoid the use of "px"....

http://www.w3c.org/Style/CSS/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/web-developer/css/

This post was edited on 07-24-2004 at 03:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-24-2004 02:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
"focus" is not a valid attribute/tag...
Er yes, it is. :)

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#q1
07-24-2004 03:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Yeah :( IE just doesn't support it :blah: (although there is a vbscript solution)
07-25-2004 11:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
king_of_cool_kids

Im a Cat fan.

– / Male / –
I want to combine (if possible)
code:
/* style to color links and change cursor */
A:link, A:visited, A:hover {
text-decoration: none;
color: ffff00;
font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 11px;
font-weight: bold;
cursor : help;
}

/* style to underline links on mouse over */
a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}
and also make it so that the color of the link is yellow, but the underline color is black.

[offtopic]
Is there any form of bookmark code in firefox??
[/offtopic]
See this thread please:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?action=lastpost&tid=29609

I am running:
Windows XP Pro
MSN messenger: 6.2.0137
MsgPlus!: 3.01.94
08-01-2004 08:37 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
I would leave them separate as there is no way to combine the 2 and have different colours. Is it really a problem to have them separate?

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
No, you don't. When you don't specify units the default "pt" (points) is used. And using "pt" is way better then using "px" (pixels)!!! Many people forget that not all people have the standard 92DPI setting for there monitor. People with big monitors have for example 150DPI. This mean that a pixel shown with 150DPI is much much smaller then when it is shown on 92DPI, so if you use "px" your font will be very small compared to what you  intend to. If you use "pt" then your font will be measured in points, and points are always the same, no matter what DPI setting....
In short, try to realy avoid the use of "px"....
Oh Cookie, you are usually spot on with all your advice, but sadly not so here. Using absolute sizes for fonts is a bad idea, as it will make only font scale correctly with different DPI settings and not things like images. Check out http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size for more info taking careful note of the line Do not specify the font-size in pt, or other absolute length units.
08-01-2004 09:07 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yep, I know what it says, but (without saying that they are wrong) there are much more things to consider in practice....

It's hard to explain in English for me... I once (not so long ago) found an excellent page which backup up my points that I wanted to came across, but sadly, lost the link....

sidenote: Image are of course in pixels, and that proofs that the fact that HT(ext)ML in in fact not meant to create graphical content where everything hangs together and is absolutely dependend on other objectsizes. Of course it depends on who your usergroup is and what they use to view the "web"... if you have a very heavy graphical content and you use text that absolutly must fit into this graphics then it's indeed usefull to use px, but in all other cases it is better to not use it at all.... You should always take in account (or try to) that a user will not have the same DPI, windows fontsize and browser then you use. Because all that makes how the users sees the page. Also for people with vision problems who use special tools to view pages, bad use of px can be realy annoying because px sizes are very very small on large DPI screens, while pt-sizes or em-sizes (I could be wrong there) are not....

EDIT: something to back me up a bit: http://www.web-graphics.com/mtarchive/001165.php
(not the site I meant above, and not the best explaination, but similar, oh well...)

This post was edited on 08-01-2004 at 10:12 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-01-2004 09:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
Yeah I know what you mean and agree somewhat, about keeping it the same size, and keeping text legible. But I have found that its possible to use relative sizes and for it still to be legible at different resolutions and such (I am not sure how this compares to using different DPI's??)

Also, its possible for the user to change the font size. In Firefox its just a case of pressing Ctrl++ or Ctrl+-. This does not "break" the way my page looks (this does in fact damage my arguement about things scaling correctly, but let's ignore that)

I think overall, relative sizes are better. If you change resolution, things scale accordingly. If you have the chance, look at my website and tell me if it works ok with different DPI's. I have used ems for the sizes of the text, cos W3C told me to :) Your point about people with vision problems is true, which is why all of my images have alt tags (needed to make XHTML 1.1 validate). I also have given them title tags to make tooltips (title is the correct way to make tooltips, NOT alt tags!!)

I guess it all depends on the person. After all, although I think a bit about it, I do not cater too much for IE, or browsers that are not modern and don't support CSS. Also its designed for screen resolutions of 10x7. I think as long as you take into account these things, you can make your site however you like ;)

/offtopic ;)
08-01-2004 10:14 PM
king_of_cool_kids

Im a Cat fan.

– / Male / –
ok, a friend told me how to make the line black
code:
/* style to color links and change cursor */
A:link, A:visited, a:hover { 
color: #ffff00;
font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 11px;
font-weight: bold;
cursor : help; 
text-decoration: none; 
}

/* style to underline links on mouse over */
a:hover { 
border-bottom: 1px solid #000000;
}

/* double border */
table.double { border-color:000000; }
Only thing is, when going to http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=...css&usermedium=all im getting a whole lot of errors. Any ideas why??
See this thread please:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?action=lastpost&tid=29609

I am running:
Windows XP Pro
MSN messenger: 6.2.0137
MsgPlus!: 3.01.94
08-01-2004 11:04 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
Not quite sure what they were, but you had some strange invisible characters at the ends of many lines of your code.

I deleted them, and added a # for the table.double part at the bottom. Check the attacted code to see all the differences I made :)

HTH

.txt File Attachment: correctedCSS.txt (548 bytes)
This file has been downloaded 134 time(s).
08-01-2004 11:21 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: