What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Frustrated Trying to Download

Frustrated Trying to Download
Author: Message:
Yuki

34 / Female / –
O.P. Dodgy  Frustrated Trying to Download
I've installed Messenger Plus a few weeks ago--love it.  However, one day I signed in and somehow my Messenger had been downgraded from 6.2 to 4.7, I tried to re-download Messenger Plus, I did so and it kept saying that the download was succesful...however, it is still version 4.7 and I can't get Plus back.  I've tried countless times, but I can't get it back to 6.2 or 6.0 or whatever it was...
Very frustrating...

This post was edited on 08-02-2004 at 08:59 PM by Yuki.
08-02-2004 06:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Frustrated Trying to Dowload
Umm, try downloading Msn Messenger, the latest version off of http://messenger.msn.com and then  download the latest version of Messenger Plus, and see if this helps you. :D
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
08-02-2004 06:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Frustrated Trying to Dowload
A lot off people seem to have problems with Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 6.2 mixing up. If nobody on your PC ever uses Windows Messenger 4.7 then the easiest way to permanently get rid of such problems is deleting 4.7 completely.

The easiest way todo that:
- Make sure Messenger is no running (press CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill processes if needed).
- Go to "C:\Program Files\Messenger"
- Delete all the files in that folder (or just delete the folder itself).
- Go to http://messenger.msn.com/
- Download MSN Messenger 6.2 and install
- If Plus! fails to work you could uninstall your current Plus! > reboot > Download and install fresh Plus!.

This post was edited on 08-02-2004 at 09:44 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-02-2004 07:10 PM
Yuki

34 / Female / –
O.P. RE: Frustrated Trying to Dowload
Okay, it worked!  Thanks a million!:)
08-02-2004 08:59 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Frustrated Trying to Download
quote:
Originally posted by Yuki
I've installed Messenger Plus a few weeks ago--love it.  However, one day I signed in and somehow my Messenger had been downgraded from 6.2 to 4.7, I tried to re-download Messenger Plus, I did so and it kept saying that the download was succesful...however, it is still version 4.7 and I can't get Plus back.  I've tried countless times, but I can't get it back to 6.2 or 6.0 or whatever it was...
Very frustrating...
Like MenthiX said, you're actualy confusing 3 different programs!

There is Windows Messenger 4.7
There is MSN Messenger 6.2

And there is Messenger Plus! 3

All are quite different programs, although they interact with eachother...

Windows Messenger 4.7 is what is preinstalled on your Windows XP.
MSN Messenger is what you normaly would download and use (in your case)
Messenger Plus! is an addon for both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger.

All three programs can/must be updated and installed seperatly.

As MenthiX also pointed out between the lines, is that Windows Messenger is sometimes started up automaticly. This doesn't mean that you've lost Messenger Plus! or MSN Messenger. They are still there and you still can start them up. You don't need to download or install anything to fix it. Everything is still there.

Now, to disable Windows Messenger from automaticly starting up (which caused your confussion) there are different methods you can use. One being the one that MenthiX has given you.

BUT! most methods (in fact all, except one) will break/disable also some functionality of MSN Messenger (Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing), Outlook and Outlook Express (delaying or even freezing at startup) and also several addons for MSN Messenger and several plugins for Messenger Plus! will stop working....

The method described by MenthiX may be easy but it is one of the methods that will break those functionalities. (and also, like I said, you don't need to redownload and reinstall anything)

The proper way to disable Windows Messenger can be found in this post: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=26...d=258821#pid258821

This post was edited on 08-25-2005 at 09:08 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-02-2004 09:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: