What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Poll: What do you think about Firefox' latest releases?
I think its bugkill-releases are a sign of proper growth
It's still a beta and anything can't be objectively judged before final releases
It starts to smell like Internet Explorer... (it's just as buggy) :dodgy:
Despite of the couple bugs it's an awesome browser.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]
Author: Message:
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]
Well to say alot of people use a BETA (preview) browser over a well established browser with 6 versions is a point in it's-self. The point Jeronimo made about it being updated very frequently I think is a sign of willingness to make it the best out there. Even if it is a hinderence to  dial-up users. Willingness to make it better and alot of user's is a good combination. I can see the V. 1.0 being very good.
08-06-2004 01:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
People will use the Beta argument to cover up flaws in the program.  It's just too easy in my opinion.  IE has such popularity that many bugs are found AND FIXED.  Mozilla is still crappy & unknown to the majority of Internet Users so fewer people to find bugs in the code.
I am going to add something of a twist to your argument. Many people use Firefox and certainly don't think its crap. Having said that, one man's meat is another man's poison. I happen to think IE is not a very good browser in the face of the competition. In itself, there is nothing wrong with IE, it just lacks in features compared to some other browsers :)

You claim Firefox is unknown to the majority of internet users and hence fewer bugs are found. I put it to you though, that people who tend to know about and install Firefox are more technically minded than the ignorant, and so have better skills which can be used to find bugs and submit them. Once Firefox 1.0 hits the shelves, I assure you there will be a wave of advertisement, and larger numbers of people will be willing to give it a try. By then, hopefully the more experienced users will have worked most of the bugs out of the system ;)

Might I just ask, which flaws are troubling you the most? What bugs are people really so annoyed about, it stops them giving Firefox a fair chance? ^o)

This post was edited on 08-06-2004 at 02:17 PM by Jeronimo.
08-06-2004 02:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
and so have better skills which can be used to find bugs and submit them
Not necessarily, a lot of bugs are usually due to a conflict...and the more people (whoever they are) who have Firefox will have a wide range of software that could cause conflicts. And the more technically minded will know how to avoid the majority of problems...Its the n00bish mistakes that usually shine a big hole of bugs...However I think when Firefox 1.0 comes out there will be a fair bit of advertising but not loads, I can see Firefox having a bright future...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-06-2004 02:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Myself
What i still miss about Firefox at this moment is a simple way of upgrading. It's not really a problem for me, but inexperienced users coming from IE sometimes have problems upgrading. At this moment it is still recommended to un-install your old Firefox first and then install the new one.
What i would like to see is an automatic update system that checks to see if there is a new version, if there is one it should notify the user and ask if he/she wants to update now. If the user clicks yes it should just install the update full-automatic without having to un-install the old one first or anything.
Excuse me for quoting myself, but i just wanted to say i found an anwser for my own wish, Proper Software Update has been planned: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=253220 .
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-06-2004 02:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Its the n00bish mistakes that usually shine a big hole of bugs...
Yeah but its not the n00b's that submit the bugs. When was the last time someone's mum went "Ah yes, I think I'll submit a bug report to Microsoft today"? :P

And Mozilla is pushing Firefox as the future, so I think it will get a decent amount of press. Certainly there are more sites out even now carrying news of Firefox than of IE development ;)
08-06-2004 02:40 PM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
I used Firefox, Mozilla & IE and none of them did what I wanted when I wanted it.  The only browser to come close to my requirements has been AvantBrowser.  When I sell a PC, the customer knows that by installing Firefox or Mozilla if a problem occurs that can be routed to that program I will no longer provide support for it.  I am not a M$ Employee (although I am a MCSE qualified engineer) but I reccomend that users of XP use IE over a Open Source browser.

If they are getting Linux the support I give will be complete.  I get no complaints and come highly reccomended in the area.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
08-06-2004 08:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
I think for n00bies IE is great, Microsoft's support is excellent. But for those of us that can maintain our own computers, IE is far too lacking in features for heavy use.

I think the issue of open source is a none issue. PHP is open source and is very successful.

Then again it all goes back to what suits the person.

The fact is, Firefox isn't that buggy. I use it for hours a day, every day, and I am yet to find any significant problems :P
08-06-2004 08:51 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]
Well, I don't like much the amount of memory it sucks, the time it takes to load (even when restoring it from running in background or minimized) and the load it gets when you open the extensions panel: it freezes a couple of minutes before reacting (Athlon2800+, 256MB, XP/Pro).

There are indeed some things to improve, but all the rest is really good: costumizable, open-source, free, fast, with many good features...

It will be very good when it reaches the final release and it will be able to compete seriously with IE.

Btw, Garndell: the CERT suggested not to use IE and try out alternate browsers that may not be much more safe, but aren't an exploit target right now ([1] [2]...)
08-06-2004 09:16 PM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
firefox to me is clearly better then IE with way more features that are USEFULL to users. Its still in beta testing period so there is to expect some bugs in the application. What would u like more? Mozilla not releasing quick updates to fix security bugs or to wait a few months while releaving them open =/? i think we all know the answer to that one.
With so many users switching to a browser that is still BETA over IE which has been out for years! its definitly challenging $M and has great potential for the future :P i'm sure i have more to say but i can't remember at the moment ;)
Cheers
Chestah!

EDIT: KeyStorm nice thread and nice work with KSMAS :P whens the next version coming out to the public? thanks :)

This post was edited on 08-06-2004 at 10:40 PM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
08-06-2004 10:39 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah007
EDIT: KeyStorm nice thread and nice work with KSMAS :P whens the next version coming out to the public? thanks :)

whens the next version of KSMAS coming out to the public?
08-06-2004 11:06 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: