What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Playstation 2 Network Adaptor

Playstation 2 Network Adaptor
Author: Message:
tbone2584

39 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  Playstation 2 Network Adaptor
Alright, hopefully somebody can help me out with this. I am heading back down to school in a couple of weeks (i have to go early for soccer traning camp) and I am taking my playstation 2 system with Network Adaptor and i would like to play online from my dorm room. Now i have direct internet connection in my room so if i plug an ethernet cord from the NA directly into the wall and run the start up disk will it work using 'Automatic IP detection'? I have read online that the NA wont work at some schools and they need some crazy technique to get things working. Can anyone help me out here? p.s. I go to Daemen College in Amherst New York.
08-05-2004 06:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Playstation 2 Network Adaptor
Well technically it is possible, just like i have my PS2 network adaptor plugged into my router.

However, keep some things in mind:
- Take the right cables with you: there are patch and crossed ethernet cables. I'm not sure which one the PS2 uses, bit it could be diffrent from the cable that the school provides you, so use your own cable you got together with the network adaptor.
- Most schools have firewalls running, there is a good change that th post/site/host that the PS2 network adaptor is blocked. If you want to be sure about this you could as the network administratos there, otherwise just try to connect, if it keeps on failing they probally blocked it. :(
- You might or may not have to fill in the IP adresses of DHCP Gateway and DNS server, it all depends on how everything is configured there. If it doesn't get discovered automatically you could ask somebody there (just say that you want to connect your laptop if they have a policy against consoles, or lookup the correct value at a PC in the school that has internet access.

Firewall would be the biggest problem, if the block the ports you need it will be impossible to play online.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-05-2004 08:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: