What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Saving / Retrieving partially transfered files? Maybe Plugin?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Saving / Retrieving partially transfered files? Maybe Plugin?
Author: Message:
Sorrento

O.P. Saving / Retrieving partially transfered files? Maybe Plugin?
Is there anyway to retrieve a partially transfered file from MSN?

Especially JPEGs.

Many times I have had people sending me .jpeg files that have been cancelled half way through. Not due to them cancelling it but by their computer crashing, and it is starting to annoy me.

I know that picture files can still be viewed with only half their data, and I have been looking around for a way to retrieve a partially transfered file through MSN.

I have looked at the files deleted by windows using an un-delete program and have found no files which suit the picture that were deleted by MSN.

I have also looked around for remaining .tmp files and have also not found them.

So I am wondering if anyone knows how to retrieve these files or if there is a plugin that auto-saves cancelled transfers?

From a plug in point of view this seems to me to be quite simple to make, just find the file transfering, when it gets cancelled, stop msn from deleting it and move it to a specified folder.

What do you all think?
08-10-2004 11:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Martijn.

Previously known as |\/|artij|\|

34 / Male / –
RE: Saving / Retrieving partially transfered files? Maybe Plugin?
How about this:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=29489
"If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom."
08-10-2004 11:59 AM
Sorrento

O.P. RE: Saving / Retrieving partially transfered files? Maybe Plugin?
Yah I have that but I am looking for one that works more client side, and does not require the other person to have the plugin.

When files are transfered they must make a temp file somewhere, thats the file I am after.

I searched all these forums before posting, last thing I want to do is waste people's time :P

Edit>

Maybe if we can find some way to log the packets being sent if no temp file can be found, then arranging them when a file gets cancelled, there must be a way to do this.

This post was edited on 08-10-2004 at 12:20 PM by Sorrento.
08-10-2004 12:16 PM
Martijn.

34 / Male / –
I thought the partial files were going to your "Tempronary Internet Files" directiory^o)...

Not sure though...
08-10-2004 12:38 PM
Sorrento

From my look into it they arn't, My guess would have been a folder in Application Data, but I can't find anything there either... Its kinda like looking for an invisible pin in a haystack.
08-10-2004 12:51 PM
Martijn.

34 / Male / –
Hmm, then I don't know either, but if you realy want a resume function, use FileTransfer Plus...
08-10-2004 12:54 PM
Sorrento

Yah, I wish I had that plugin 2 months ago when I tried to transfer a 700mb file through msn, I gave up and ended up going p2p, it was pretty neat though, 4 days transfering and neither of us crashed, it just died for some reason after that.

But yah thanks for your help, but I am really interested in getting a copy of the uncompleted files without the other person needing a plugin.
08-10-2004 12:55 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
The temp files will be stored somewhere, I forgot where, but they will be somewhere...However when a file is only partially transferred most the time retrieving it is impossible...You're really asking for something that's virtually impossible, the file retrieval of the file is possible but making it into something worthwhile...doubtful. However movie files can be retrieved with reconstructing missing index blocks, however images are a lot dodgier...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-10-2004 01:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sorrento
I know that picture files can still be viewed with only half their data
Most of them can't!!! Only images (or any other data for that matter like video) which used a "streamed"-format can be viewed partially while the file isn't complete. For images this is only JPG (and even then, some subformats don't allow it)....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-10-2004 02:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sorrento

I would expect around 90% of the subformats of Jpegs can be seen partially completed, as I have experianced it many times before when looking at an image using http when I have only  uploaded half of it to my ftp server.

When you have 600kb of a 700kb then retrieving it is worthwhile, sure you may have about a quater of an inch of grey where the file has cut off, but since when is anything important in the bottom of the picture? :)

Jpegs are built so they work in blocks, left to right, top to bottom, meaning the top left of the picture is at the start of the file, bottom right is at the end of the file. Unlike most Gif files that are built in a sort of matrix format.

Retrieving the files is the main thing to me, if I can retrieve them then I can repair them.
08-10-2004 03:58 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: