What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Help transfering files between computers

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Help transfering files between computers
Author: Message:
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
O.P. Help transfering files between computers
Hey

I just got a HP OmniBook laptop, and I want to transfer some files from our home computer to the laptop.  Is there a way to do this using a USB cord? 

My home computer has Windows 98 Second Edition, and my Laptop has Windows 2000. 

Thanks
08-18-2004 05:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Help transfering files between computers
LapLink is the best for doing things like this...However it does cost money. But just so you know if you have a sufficient cable and can acquire the software somehow without the cable, you can use it just as effectively...I believe there is a software only package...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-18-2004 05:32 PM
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Help transfering files between computers
Cant I just use the USB cable I already have?  I thought you could transfer files like that between computers. 
08-18-2004 05:44 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
Well if both computers have a network card in, then yes you could set up a LAN using Windows XP and send files that way...or if both have modems, you could try setting up a direct dial between the few, however I know the basics of this I have never tried it...however the USB option seems the simplest
08-18-2004 05:55 PM
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Well I'm going to try a program called "Secure Copy Standard 2.0."  Hopefully it will work.  If not I'll be back...
08-18-2004 06:07 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Don't connect two PC's with a regular USB cable! This could permanently damage your PC. If you want to connect two PC's over USB then you'll need a special cable. Most of the time these cables are called USB datalink or USB transfer cables. You can recognize them because they have a small "thing" in the middle of the cable that allows to transfer data between two PC's correctly.
[Image: CBUSBTRANS2.gif]

If you don't have such a cable you could buy one at a PC parts store, but they are pretty expensive.  If both PC's already have a ethernet LAN connection, then connecting them with a crossed cable would be the cheapest and simplest (UTP Crossed cable with RJ45 connectors at both sides).

You can connect them to if they both have modems, perralel port or serial port.  But parralel and serial port are kinda old and slow. For every method you should keep in mind that you will have to buy a proper cable if you don't have one yet, and you'll need the good software. However, Windows' own software can deal with the most netwrok methods already.

This post was edited on 08-18-2004 at 06:28 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-18-2004 06:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Thanks Menthix

Well I'll stop radioShack or Wal'Mart (only two thing around my house) and see if they have them. 
08-18-2004 07:34 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
To have a connection directly between two PC's with a modem you'll need special software. MultiComm looks good, however i can't help you with using this software. I never tried MultiComm or simular software myself. You can download MultiComm here: http://sudeepn.sphosting.com/multicomm/home.htm
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-19-2004 02:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
MultiComm looks good, however i can't help you with using this software. I never tried MultiComm or simular software myself. You can download MultiComm here: http://sudeepn.sphosting.com/multicomm/home.htm
Both phones on that must be connected to separate telephone lines, not very practical in this case :-/
quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
Is there a way to transfer the data DIRECTLY via a wire between the modems (i.e. without using a phone line)?
Yes, as I said earlier, if you have an appropriate cable you can connect them together by dialling a port on the other PC, however I am unsure how to do this, but I have seen it been done...
08-19-2004 07:02 PM
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I guess I'll have to use the modems to transfer it for now.  I do need to get the phone cord for the dial up card first.  I wonder how much those cost?
08-19-2004 07:30 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: