What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » why switch from IE to alternatives?..

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
why switch from IE to alternatives?..
Author: Message:
Jimcando

34 / Male / Flag
RE: why switch from IE to alternatives?..
i wud also like to recommend another 'Theme' to use for FireFox...it looks much better than the one u get with it.
go to Tools->Themes->Get More Themes
There is a Most Popular box. Number 1 is Noia 2.0 (eXtreme)
it is probably the best theme to get
08-23-2004 01:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
You know what? I'll have to elaburate it more. I' like microsoft software, the fact I'm runnig a microsoft computer with microsoft software sorta feels right. Not any more... this is up there with Winamp with the best download ever....

Anyone i two mins and even if your not... give a try please.... theres no harm in it..... (A)

(Btw, I was about to ppost this and then I clicked on theme just before I did.... thank god i did... you were right, its a beast! :P)
08-23-2004 02:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Yeah, just remember to click "I refuse" during the installation, I've heard it may install Java if you don't and if you thought lop.com was hard to get rid of, wait to see Java in action :p.
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-23-2004 04:18 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
What's wrong with having Java installed? :p I installed it with Opera and it didn't cause any problems... :dodgy:
08-23-2004 04:26 AM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
I will say 1 thing about tabbed browsing, if you have say 2 sites open, 1 you want to close one you want to keep open, you can easily close the entire browser LOSING the page you want.

94% of US Internet users use IE which says something.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
08-23-2004 08:20 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
I will say 1 thing about tabbed browsing, if you have say 2 sites open, 1 you want to close one you want to keep open, you can easily close the entire browser LOSING the page you want.
that because you're not used to it. takes time, that's all.
quote:
that says they all have windows installed and i'm sure at least 80% doesn't know what "alternate browser" means.

You know what says something: 1744 votes on download.com give 96% of postitive feedback for firefox.
08-23-2004 09:22 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by qune
I haven't seen any discussion on this subject.
Really? Hmm... use Google :).

quote:
Originally posted by qune
comfortability
Keep in mind that no alternative browser will beat the comfortability of a browser you've been using for years. Everything takes time. Me personally tried Firefox because i had some issues with IE, and a friend told be Firefox was very good. I installed it and a few hours later i got rid of it again. Didn't like it at all. After about a month i installed Firefox again but on my work this time. At home i was still using IE. It took me months to fully go from IE to Firefox. Now i don't like todo without it, altough i still use IE when needed like at friends/work where there is no FF installed.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimcando
firefox has everything IE
I like Firefox alot, but it does not have everything, certainly not by default. Media Bar, Offline Synchronize, Security Zones, Content Advisor and ActiveX, just to name a few.

quote:
Easy access to the favorites
Better favorites
I personally think IE manages favourites better. Accessing your favourites is good for both, but IE can alfabethically arrange your favourites by default, FF doesn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
IE has some unforgivable flaws, which still aren't fixed even tough they exist for a very long time. XP SP2 was going to fix some of them, but still nothing
People always say these things (i did too :)). But give a example of which unforgivable flaw isn't fixed yet (link)? Because a lot is actually fixed in SP2 / latest patches.

quote:
u see how much better Firefox is? have u got the address to download it?
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
just remember to click "I refuse" during the installation, I've heard it may install Java if you don't and if you thought lop.com was hard to get rid of, wait to see Java in action
I heard Plus! installs virus and tojans :p. Silly Patchou, Java insn't bundeled with FF. Even if it was.. you can un-install java in Add/Remove software or/and un-install the Java FF extension (depends of which installation type you choose).

quote:
When you have like 10 IE windows open in XP then Windows will group those. When you click close group you will loose your pages as well. You can have FF warn you when you close a window with multiply tabs open if that's what you wan't. Anyway, history enables you to find back the page you closed in like 5 seconds anyway (same goes for IE here).

quote:
1744 votes on download.com give 96% of postitive feedback for firefox.
How does that compare to for example IE? Nobody ever downloads IE from download.com because it was included with Windows anyway. If like millions of people downloaded IE from download.com it might have had a high ranking too.

I ended up likeing Firefox mainly because it feels clean when you do a default install. Extensions enable you to add all kinds off features you want for yourself. Being able to costumize your browser like that is what does it for me.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-23-2004 10:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
People always say these things (i did too ). But give a example of which unforgivable flaw isn't fixed yet (link)? Because a lot is actually fixed in SP2 / latest patches.
There are flaws that allow unseen software installations, there are flaws that hide the actual link you're visiting... I don't have links, but i wished i had to prove you wrong
08-23-2004 10:57 PM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
quote:
quote:
that because you're not used to it. takes time, that's all.
quote:
that says they all have windows installed and i'm sure at least 80% doesn't know what "alternate browser" means.

You know what says something: 1744 votes on download.com give 96% of postitive feedback for firefox.

I was not referring to myself imbecile, I was referring to people like my parents (who have tried Firefox and hate it).  They may not know much about PC's but they know enough.  download.com while being useful is not a definitive answer to the question of which is best.  it comes down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE!  A concept you seem to lack.  90% of those 94% yanks that use IE over any other browser are most likely happy with it.

As for that security test, Windows XP SP2 with www.avantbrowser.com

The Browser Security Test is finished. Please find the results below:

High Risk Vulnerabilities 0
Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 0
Low Risk Vulnerabilities 0

This post was edited on 08-24-2004 at 04:53 PM by Garndell.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
08-24-2004 04:47 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6: Currently, 18 out of 58 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database. = http://secunia.com/product/11/
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5: Currently, 9 out of 49 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database. = http://secunia.com/product/10/
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01: Currently, 8 out of 39 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database. = http://secunia.com/product/9/

Mozilla Firefox 0.x: Currently, 1 out of 10 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database. = http://secunia.com/product/3256/
Mozilla 1.7.x: Currently, 1 out of 4 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database. = http://secunia.com/product/3691/

That's exactly with what i ment by "give a example". I guess this is one of the reasons why i prefer Firefox above IE too, but being able to costumize my browser how i like it is more important to me. I know that security should have higher priority... oh well, it's just a home system and i know what i do :).

But on the other hand:
http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/ on Internet Explorer 6.0 at my own Windows XP system (still on SP1):
The Browser Security Test is finished. Please find the results below:
High Risk Vulnerabilities 0
Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 0
Low Risk Vulnerabilities 0

http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/ on Firefox 0.9.3 at my own Windows XP system:
High Risk Vulnerabilities: 0
Medium Risk Vulnerabilities: 0
Low Risk Vulnerabilities: 0

This post was edited on 08-24-2004 at 05:40 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-24-2004 04:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: