What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Run plus! as a service?

Run plus! as a service?
Author: Message:
Snowshelbi

O.P. Run plus! as a service?
Hi

Let's assume there's a way of running Plus as a service, will it then be able let's say to log files into directories that the current user doesnt have read/write access to??

thanks
08-28-2004 06:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Run plus! as a service?
It's impossible to run Plus! unless it's a process that hooks into MSN Messenger...It would be impossible to run it unless it was installed on the computer that wants to use it...so there's no point in talking about this in any sense
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-28-2004 06:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Snowshelbi

O.P. RE: Run plus! as a service?
it is installed on the computer....all I am asking is if there's a way to run it with special privileges and not necessarily with the ones that the user has.....
08-28-2004 06:35 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
Ah, sorry, got the wrong idea there...
Anyway, I believe it could in theory be possible. But due to privacy reasons probably wouldn't be included...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-28-2004 06:57 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Snowshelbi
Let's assume there's a way of running Plus as a service, will it then be able let's say to log files into directories that the current user doesnt have read/write access to??
Yes, because services are executed with the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM (or similar) who has full control and access over everything.

However there's a problem. I think that when plus is executed as a service, it won't be able to hook messenger properly. It'd be the same as if one user is running plus and another user executes messenger without running plus. That messenger can't be hooked (again: that's what i think).
quote:
Originally posted by Snowshelbi
all I am asking is if there's a way to run it with special privileges and not necessarily with the ones that the user has.....
maybe you can do something with the runas command, but i don't think so.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
08-28-2004 07:00 PM
Snowshelbi

quote:
However there's a problem. I think that when plus is executed as a service, it won't be able to hook messenger properly. It'd be the same as if one user is running plus and another user executes messenger without running plus. That messenger can't be hooked (again: that's what i think).

that's why I was asking....anyway to confirm this supposition?
08-28-2004 07:19 PM
Snowshelbi

hmm, I see...alright, thanks, I will try and see what it gives!
08-29-2004 05:06 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Err... note to all of you: you can't just run any process as services, they have to be made espescially for this purpose and Plus! is not a service (it couldn't be for many reasons, one being that services can't display anything on screen. However, if you're just after special priviledges, it's very easy: create a shortcut to Messenger (not Plus! but msnmsgr.exe), go in its properties, shortcut tab, and click on Advanced. You'll have the option to run the process as another user. I didn't found a way to save the user in Windows XP but I'm sure you'll find a tool that can (it's a simple API call for a software).
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-30-2004 06:06 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: