What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Getting rid of Windows Messenger!! HELP

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Getting rid of Windows Messenger!! HELP
Author: Message:
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Getting rid of Windows Messenger!! HELP
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by DangerXone

and then will i be able to uninstall it and i would stop getting the message?!

yes... Although I wouldn't recommend it... you can use MessengerDisable, but read carefully that link I posted first..

He never said to uninstall it, he said you CAN uninstall it, but he wouldn't reccomend it.

DangerXone: the Windows Messenger API is needed by some plugins (ie Screenshot Sender 3 [IIRC]) So therefore, if you uninstall it, you might not be able to use some plugins.

This post was edited on 08-29-2004 at 09:46 AM by ddunk.
08-29-2004 09:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DangerXone
why wouldnt you recommend uninstalling windows messenger... i dont need it
If you use Remote Assistance, Whiteboard or Application Sharing these are deleted as well...As you can see the Windows Messenger API is needed by some features that you may use...

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
the Windows Messenger API is needed by some plugins (ie Screenshot Sender 3 [IIRC])
I didn't know it was needed, and I've seen it run on computers (on XP) without Windows Messenger installed....

Although this hasn't been proven, I was never able to have a stable Audio conversation on MSN Messenger, without Windows Messenger being installed, so I wouldn't recommend uninstalling it, just in case...

And in the future we don't know if someone's going to make a really useful application that requires Windows Messenger APIs, in this event it seems a bit dumb to uninstall something that takes up so little space...

Why do you wish to uninstall it? We haven't even cleared that up...as CookieRevised suggested, if it is to do with Windows Messenger signing in over MSN Messenger he did make an excellent reply to this in the thread he before mentioned CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger

And remember that M$ do not advise uninstalling applications like Windows Messenger...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-29-2004 10:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
Okay here we go....
I also have this problem... :(
I installed StuffPlug-NG, and I choose to install some the other plugins that was there, but since then windows messenger keeps starting with my pc... It was okay if it was just in the background, running a process, but it also signs-in and that's really pissing me off!!! :@...
So I found CookieRevised's reply......... And I did everything* it said... but it still keeps signing in, when I turn on my computer....

I thought about it might be SS3 (screenshot sender 3), would it help if I uninstalled that?....
But I am very confussed why it runs?... I've disabled msgplus "Run on startup", and then I use applauncher whenever I want to use my msn... But if msgplus is not running, then SS3 is not running, then there would be no need for windows messenger to run????? Am i right?....
I've searched through regedit, but I can't seem to find anything that leads to windows messenger running on startup....
Please help me... And as said before I have done what cookie said in the post....

*Except

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

5a) Open Outlook Express and go to Tools > Options > General. uncheck "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger". Close Outlook Express.

5b) Open Outlook and go to Tools > Options > Other. uncheck "Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook". Close Outlook.

Because I don't have any of those installed... Or at least I didn't install them with windows, and nether with office....
But there seems to be traces of Outlook Express, but I can't run it, it says: "Outlook Express could not be started. The application was inable to oen Outlook Express message store. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full.".... But I know my disk/memory is not full....
After that messages it says: "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.dll could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed corretly"
No of course it's not installed correctly, I chose not to install it because I don't use it.....
So therefor those 2 steps cannot be done....

What else should I try????
08-30-2004 08:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
So therefor those 2 steps cannot be done....
You will be able to complete these steps if you have Outlook Express installed...it comes bundled in with Internet Explorer which you can download by clicking here.
After installing it reboot your computer and then proceed with the removal method that CookieRevised posted...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-30-2004 08:24 AM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
hmm... okay, Iīll do that.. just think itīs some crap that Iīll have to install a program I donīt use to get rid of the annoying windows messenger... Typical M$!! :@
08-30-2004 10:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
I thought about it might be SS3 (screenshot sender 3), would it help if I uninstalled that?....
Yes, SS3 is known to cause this. However, if you followed CookieRevised's instructions carefully, it should be fixed nonetheless :)
08-30-2004 02:47 PM
The Napster

I seriously need to change this pic

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Getting rid of Windows Messenger!! HELP
quote:
hmm... okay, Iīll do that.. just think itīs some crap that Iīll have to install a program I donīt use to get rid of the annoying windows messenger... Typical M$!! :@

The easy way is to use messenger disable, does it all for you... (Note: Check Disable not uninstall)

.zip File Attachment: MessengerDisable.zip (6.54 KB)
This file has been downloaded 142 time(s).
[Image: globesig2.png]
08-30-2004 04:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Yes, SS3 is known to cause this. However, if you followed CookieRevised's instructions carefully, it should be fixed nonetheless :)

the latest version of SS3 doesn't need the api of windows messenger no more ! so SS3 doesn't cause windows messenger to open no more
08-30-2004 04:24 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
The easy way is to use messenger disable, does it all for you... (Note: Check Disable not uninstall)
With all respect, but did you even read 1 post in this thread or the link that is posted several times here?????????????

MessengerDisable doesn't do "all" for everyone.... at least read a couple of posts, before posting something like that. And especially the link that was given to my post in that other thread; it is stated clearly there, that you need to do many things before and after MessengerDisable to effectivly "hide" Winmsgr.... And even if you knew that, then why posting something that was said already...

?

This post was edited on 08-30-2004 at 04:56 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-30-2004 04:51 PM
dristie

– / Male / –
Wink  RE: Getting rid of Windows Messenger!! HELP
To fully get rid of Windows Messenger, just do the following:

Start --> Run
And just copy - paste the following :)
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

This will do it. [Image: wink.gif]
08-30-2004 06:59 PM