What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Uninstalling the Sponsor Program

Uninstalling the Sponsor Program
Author: Message:
Nasfat

O.P. Uninstalling the Sponsor Program
I, like many others, have accidentally installed the Sponsor Program. I mistakingly agreed to installing it, thinking i was agreeing to the disclamer.
I've looked everywhere on the Forums in ways to try and uninstall the Sponsor program, but it keeps popping up after i think it's uninstalled with MSN Messenger Plus!3. I've tried everything to try and get rid of it, but it's still popping up after an hour or so. Does anyone know what is wrong?? I'm running Windows Xp if that makes a difference.
09-07-2004 02:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
RE: Uninstalling the Sponsor Program
How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor

And perhapse you might try to reinstall Plus! WITH the sponser, and then uninstalling.
09-07-2004 02:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Make sure u totally exit Internet Explorer (from systray also) when u uninstall ;)
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-07-2004 09:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
janetS

I also inadvertently installed the sponsor program with messenger plus.

I also tried re-installing and uninstalling (WIN 2000), both without and with the sponsor program. This has failed to remove the annoying ads and the internet explorer toolbars and other extras, and failed to protect me from a browser hijacker to some other home page.

I am running a government computer and do not appreciate the position this puts me in (having extra, unauthorized items and weblinks on my machine).

I would like to completely remove both Messenger Plus and the sponsor program from my computer. I also want to remove the extra toolbar and popup quicklaunch kind of thing that comes up with internet explorer. Please tell me how to do so other than repeating the 'reinstall/uninstall' mantra. I already tried that.

If I cannot remove these items, I will be forced to re-image my machine completely, a use of my time and your tax dollars. It takes about two days to backup, re-image, and re-setup the machine.

I do not admire the sneaky way the sponsor program acceptance is entered the install sequence. I do not endorse Messenger Plus or its sponsors in any way. I will not be using messenger plus at all, nor will I buy any products from its sponsors.
09-08-2004 06:25 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
As far as I know the sponsor program is undergoing changes, there was a notice about this a while ago...Also I believe an uninstaller was made that can be used, I don't have a link, but hopefully one will be provided...
quote:
Originally posted by janetS
and failed to protect me from a browser hijacker to some other home page.
Actually it's not a browser hijacker...
quote:

I am running a government computer and do not appreciate the position this puts me in (having extra, unauthorized items and weblinks on my machine).

Surely your superiors would approve of this, unless of course you are forbidden to have chat software...?
quote:
and your tax dollars
A lot of members aren't from the US (I assume) and are to young anyway to pay tax money under your countries laws...
quote:

I do not admire the sneaky way the sponsor program acceptance is entered the install sequence.

Actually this was the best method for getting people to notice, some changes may be made in the future...
quote:
I will not be using messenger plus at all, nor will I buy any products from its sponsors.
ok, but this has what to do with this?
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
09-08-2004 06:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The sponsor is undergoing changes, yes, but this has no influence on the install/uninstall procedure....

Testers have tested the install/uninstall procedures many times and each time the sponsor is uninstalled completely!!! Of course you need to follow instructions and not try to uninstall it manualy or with anti-adware programs....

detailed instructions can be found here: http://udcx.com/sponsor
official instructions: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

(and these instructions DO work 100%!!)

Like suggested

EDIT: of course it will only uninstall the Plus! sponsor, it won't/can't uninstall other adware/spyware that you may have on your machine... (which often _looks_ like it is from Plus!)

This post was edited on 09-09-2004 at 01:09 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-09-2004 01:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nasfat

O.P. RE: Uninstalling the Sponsor Program
Well, i couldn't fix the problem with every suggestion the forums gave me, so i resorted to a system restore. I'm still confused with what went wrong, but it's fixed now. thanks everyone

This post was edited on 09-11-2004 at 12:59 AM by Nasfat.
09-10-2004 01:11 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: