What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » HDD install not showing

HDD install not showing
Author: Message:
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
O.P. HDD install not showing
Ok, just installed a 20gb hdd out of an old server as a slave disk
Not sure if its ATA or SATA, probly ATA.

The 'new hardware found' box came up when i booted up and completed. the hdd dosnt show in my computer i installed it properly using the pins for a slave disk and all, the IDE cable i used was coming from the primary hdd and had a gray connector with one pin blacked out i was told this dosnt matter because it dosnt use that pin. Anyway so my computer should know its there but its not showing.

Any help please?
09-02-2004 06:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: HDD install not showing
Did you format the old hard drive before using it as a new slave? Is it FAT32 or NTFS?
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
09-02-2004 07:49 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Ok, first double check to see if the hard drive your operating system is on is set to Master and the new one you added is set to slave. If thats all right then you may have to format the hard drive you just added.  Since some Windows versions or motherboards won't reconize a already used harddrive from antoher computer you have to delete all partistions on that drive. Repartistion it with the maximum useage for space. Then format it. Which then it should give it a drive letter and Windows will reconize it as a drive in the computer.
[Image: top.gif]
09-02-2004 07:49 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Yousef

(previously known as Juzzi)

35 / Male / Flag
start--> run --> mmc --> ctrl+M --> add --> disk management ---> few times ok, hdd's should now show up, format the new one

maybe that helps :)
Developer of BuddyFuse: Google Talk, Twitter and Hyves in Windows Live Messenger
Ex-Microsoft intern and Windows Live Developer MVP in 2007 & 2008
09-02-2004 08:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: HDD install not showing
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Did you format the old hard drive before using it as a new slave? Is it FAT32 or NTFS?

No, its formatted as a master but the 2GB Clips are in place as a slave. How do i format it as a slave seeing i have no disk from it?

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Ok, first double check to see if the hard drive your operating system is on is set to Master and the new one you added is set to slave. If thats all right then you may have to format the hard drive you just added.  Since some Windows versions or motherboards won't reconize a already used harddrive from antoher computer you have to delete all partistions on that drive. Repartistion it with the maximum useage for space. Then format it. Which then it should give it a drive letter and Windows will reconize it as a drive in the computer.

Yes its set to slave on the 2GB Clip board. How should i format it and delete it seeing as i have no hard drive formatting tools and my computer isnt recognising its there?

quote:
Originally posted by noelie
start--> run --> mmc --> ctrl+M --> add --> disk management ---> few times ok, hdd's should now show up, format the new one

mmc is not a command it recognises. If your talking windows xp then i have Windows ME

This post was edited on 09-02-2004 at 10:10 AM by Pyroteq.
09-02-2004 10:09 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
What is your new harddrive? : NTFS or Fat32 ?

What is the harddrive you are trying to access the new hdd? : NTFS or Fat32?
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
09-02-2004 11:25 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: HDD install not showing
quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
What is your new harddrive? : NTFS or Fat32 ?

What is the harddrive you are trying to access the new hdd? : NTFS or Fat32?

Dont know either of those
My master hdd is about 4 year old (2000)
the hdd im trying to put in is as old as a pentium 2
09-02-2004 01:40 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Having two different file types will not matter. If the drive is NTFS as long as the computer has Windows 2000 or higher it wont matter it will still see it.

The main reason why it wont show is possibly there is no partition on the drive to be seen. To check this download a Windows 98 Startup Disk from here (http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
My suggestion is this one: Windows 98 SE Custom, No Ramdrive). Now you want to reboot the computer with the floppy disk in the drive. If it asks about CD Rom support just click enter. Next when you are at an A Prompt (A:\>) type in fdisk and press enter.
You will see a screen about Large Disk Support, press Y then enter.
Next you will be at a Menu press the number 4 (Display Partition Information)
At this screen it will show you the Partitions on your Master Drive. It will say at the bottom about switching drives (I forget exactly what it says.) So press the number or action corresponding to that. Next you will see the Partition information on the Slave Drive. Just repost here what you see.

Which Windows was on the server? Put the hard drive back into the server and reboot the machine. Once in Windows goto My Computer > Right Click the Drive (Possibly D Drive) and select Properties close to the top it will say File System: If it says NTFS the drive is unreadable in ME and will need to be FDISKED in order to be detected.
09-02-2004 02:03 PM
Yousef

(previously known as Juzzi)

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Scone

quote:
Originally posted by noelie

mmc is not a command it recognises. If your talking windows xp then i have Windows ME

mmm I was talking about XP indeed, ME doesn't have mmc? Look for disk management somewhere ;)
Developer of BuddyFuse: Google Talk, Twitter and Hyves in Windows Live Messenger
Ex-Microsoft intern and Windows Live Developer MVP in 2007 & 2008
09-02-2004 02:25 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: