What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Suggestion: Check HTTP E-Mail

Suggestion: Check HTTP E-Mail
Author: Message:
alebowgm

O.P. Suggestion: Check HTTP E-Mail
Hey,

I know that we can already to POP3 emails but what about setting up Messenger Plus to also retrieve from HTTP E-mail. I say that because I have 2 MSN Messenger accounts, one with a Hotmail Passport and one with my POP3 email setup as a Passport. I would love to setup my POP3 Messenger account to be able to check into my HOTMAIL account. Basically, a way to add additional or change the e-mail that messenger goes and checks.

I dont think it would be that hard because the POP3 programming is already there and now we are just adding HTTP support (in fact, this may also be able to be setup with YAHOO e-mail, among others)
09-08-2004 04:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Suggestion: Check HTTP E-Mail
Unfortunatly the reason why it is called POP3 Check is it only has the ability to check POP3. Plus! doesn't have the ability to check the Web Based emails like hotmail. You could always try the JNRZLoader and use both accounts.

This post was edited on 09-08-2004 at 04:32 AM by matty.
09-08-2004 04:31 AM
eckocomplex

– / Male / –
http://www.jmasoftware.com/english/download/index.html :O
09-08-2004 04:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eckocomplex
http://www.jmasoftware.com/english/download/index.html :O
I never said Patchou can't or that it can't be done. Just Patchou wont.
09-08-2004 04:45 AM
eckocomplex

– / Male / –
I never said anything :S, just linking to a cool app that does this (plus you can use it through any email client - such as Outlook).
09-08-2004 05:14 AM
Kian

42 / Male / –
just beeing curious but isn't it possible to check HoTMaiL-accounts and add this function? - I mean there has to be a sollution.
Other programs can do so - Incredimail has the oppotunity as well as the link above so the procedure has to be available somewhere...

Anyway I cannot see why Patchou would't add this feature - its just as normal as checking for POP3-mails

// Kian
Lets get one thing straight - i am not!

I love U-2 this much
|-------------------------------------|

I love Bush this much
|-|

This post was edited on 09-08-2004 at 09:16 PM by Kian.
lets get one thing straight - i am NOT
09-08-2004 09:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alebowgm

O.P. RE: Suggestion: Check HTTP E-Mail
I just thinkj it is a good idea so that you can get e-mail from additional passport e-mails, just have one messenger going...
09-09-2004 12:03 AM
Kian

42 / Male / –
RE: RE: Suggestion: Check HTTP E-Mail

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
I never said Patchou can't or that it can't be done. Just Patchou wont.

And that really doesn't make any kinda sense.

1) another is answering the question on behalf of Patchou (which is okay sometimes)
2) there is no reason why not
3) the function proposed is very close to an alreaddy existing function which makes it obviously to extend
4) and anyway i don't think the attitude in the answer is nice (but thats my oppinion i guess)

At least if you know what answer Patchou would give then explain instead of beeing arrogant writing this answer in a tone like we-are-all-stupid--caus'-we-don't-know-the-reason-why-he-wont-add-the-function

// Kian
09-09-2004 08:08 AM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Kian

1) another is answering the question on behalf of Patchou (which is okay sometimes)
Patchou doesn't answer every thread.
quote:
2) there is no reason why not
quote:
3) the function proposed is very close to an alreaddy existing function which makes it obviously to extend

Yes and no. POP3 is a sert standard, and is consistent across everything. but your HTTP Mail isn't any standard at all. the mail gets displayed as a simple webpage, not as the email message, and so Plus! would need to interpret all of hte messages from the HTML(or however it is done), no matter how those programs work, THEY ARE NOT USING ANY PROTOCOL FOR MAIL TRANSFER (like POP3). THEY ARE USING HTTP. it isn't a mail transfer protocol, and therefore cannot be "checked" in the same manner.

If you want to check your Hotmail, you can get a program called hotmail popper that sits in ur system tray and gives u access to a hotmail account as POP3. u can then set Plus! to check that.

programs also exist for GMail and Yahoo.
09-09-2004 11:00 AM
Kian

42 / Male / –
Calm down pal - no need for uppercase...

Anyway I know that Patchou doesn't answer all the questions by himself - however I think that saying

"I never said Patchou can't or that it can't be done. Just Patchou wont"

is beeing kinda arrogant on behalf of a person which hasn't been a part of this conversation yet (Patchou).

It is possible that Patchou wont extend the mail-thing with a http-thing but still everyone who has a question should have a polite answer...

Anyway - I know about http-protocol and I know there might be some issues about it but still some of the procedures for http-mail-requests are public open like Hotmail

Anyway - I don't care about this feature... I am just pointing out that the answer wasn't polite...

// Kian
Sorry about gramma etc . this was written in a hurry

09-09-2004 11:19 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: