What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Rep. System: Comments required?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Require comments with votes?
This poll is closed.
Yes 8 61.54%
No 5 38.46%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

Rep. System: Comments required?
Author: Message:
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Rep. System: Comments required?
In my current code for the new reputation system, comments are not required with votes. I'm wondering if this is a good idea?

I suppose making them "required" wouldn't be completely effective, because you could just type blahblahblah in the field and the script would accept it. ^o)

This is probably the last poll related to the reputation system, because I can't think of any other tough decisions to make... :p
09-14-2004 04:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: Rep. System: Comments required?
Well, I dont really think they should be required. It would be kind of obvious if someone just made gave the reputation because of a grudge they had with that person. But that brings up the question, how do we distinguish if they vote has been made because of some stupid argument? :-/

Now that I think about it I probably sit on the border about this one :-/
09-14-2004 06:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
I'm not sure about this either, but I'd prefer having it required, so we would avoid spam as far as our psychic weapons go (well, at least one will think twice before rating someone).
But that brings me to the question if I'd like to have it required for me.

Uhm, well, yeah. Require it. :-/
09-14-2004 12:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
I think it would better if it was required. I see no harm in giving a reason why you have voted a certain way. This should make votes more meaningful and accurate. It should hopefully make people think a bit before they vote as well.

It will be easier to spot where people have been silly, or are voting because of a grudge. If the comment reads "Spams a lot, is rude and doesn't provide accurate answers" you know its probably more valid than "Muh ha ha ha pwned!!" ;)

09-14-2004 01:24 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Rep. System: Comments required?
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
But that brings up the question, how do we distinguish if they vote has been made because of some stupid argument?
I dunno. It doesn't really matter though, since you can only give one vote per member. If lots of people give the same person dodgy "because of a stupid argument" votes, then maybe he/she has a problem staying out of arguments. :refuck:
09-14-2004 04:13 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I think they should be required.

Because other wise it pretty much would be the same as the current rating system. The whole point of the Reputations system is to give users feedback on how other members think they contribute or dont contribute to the forums and help them improve as members of the community. If somebody just votes "Good" or "Bad" then that wouldnt really give sufficient feedback to help improve yourself so I think it should be required :)

And on the topic of people abusing the system , That will be un-stoppable and that is a fact. If a user feels he is being abused he can simply send a Private Message to an administrator with a subject like "Reputations Abuse". Also on the form to rate a member it should have a little not like..

*Abuse of this system will result in a ban.
09-16-2004 10:38 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
I think it should be required...Because what if someone just wants to get ya a bad rating and just rate you a neg. number. Then they would have to give a reason why...Just not cause there bored and want to do something....Just my 2 cents!
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
09-17-2004 01:18 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Because other wise it pretty much would be the same as the current rating system. The whole point of the Reputations system is to give users feedback on how other members think they contribute or dont contribute to the forums and help them improve as members of the community. If somebody just votes "Good" or "Bad" then that wouldnt really give sufficient feedback to help improve yourself so I think it should be required

i completely agree on that one (Y)

and if someone writes something like blahblahblah, the vote could be reseted by an admin :P
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
09-17-2004 02:17 AM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Yes , But it shall not be nessaciary for admins or moderators to watch them 24/7.

I think the easiest system possible is for there to be a report function on votes similar to the report function on posts. And Forum staff could see them in the reported posts window just as if they were posts.
09-17-2004 02:28 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Rep. System: Comments required?
quote:
Because other wise it pretty much would be the same as the current rating system.
Not really. :-/

- You can give negative, neutral, or positive votes instead of 1-5
- You can edit or delete your votes
- You can see better stats about how many votes have been given, how many were positive, etc.
- You can see who voted
- More that I'm too lazy to think of

The reputation system is a replacement for the rating system. It can be as similar or different as we want... :p

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
and if someone writes something like blahblahblah, the vote could be reseted by an admin
Yeah, I suppose I should prepare a little script for that in case I need to delete dodgy votes... :p

quote:
Yes , But it shall not be nessaciary for admins or moderators to watch them 24/7.
It better not be... :blah!:

quote:
I think the easiest system possible is for there to be a report function on votes similar to the report function on posts. And Forum staff could see them in the reported posts window just as if they were posts.
Blah... too much work to implement! Also, with a report button on every vote, there would be too many trivial complaints by people who think they don't deserve negative votes... :p
09-17-2004 02:37 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: