What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Poll: Should there be an option to specify which keys are used to send messages and insert new lines?
Enter sends, everyone knows that.
Give users the option. Then eveyone wins.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message
Author: Message:
QWasson

– / Male / –
O.P. Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message
Following on from my previous thread, as suggested by buqingzi. What do you think? Should it be 'MsgPlus is as Messenger does' and stick to the convention of Enter to send a message, ctrl-enter to insert a newline?  Or should users be given the option to speicify their own keystrokes/combinations from a selection?

QW

This post was edited on 09-15-2004 at 09:22 AM by QWasson.
09-15-2004 09:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message
Power to choice!
{ -[Image: lhunath.gif]- }
09-15-2004 12:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

thats a completely pointless option, everyone uses the enter key, whats the point in press ctrl + enter.. its stupid.
09-15-2004 12:57 PM
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
No, it's not really, lots of people are used to alternative ways of sending messages, like Alt-S, Ctrl-Enter, etc.
Changing a habit can be harder than just using this option.
It would be selfish to deny something like this, since it allows for options, and options, are never a bad thing. Ever.
09-15-2004 02:25 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

it's the first time this is suggested, it's like it's almost never gonna be used. with the statistics option it will die eventually :s

where's the "NO" option?
09-15-2004 02:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
The trouble is, where do you draw the line? Are we to make all the keys mappable? MSN uses Enter to send the message. Are there ways to change the keys in these other programs then?

I guess it just seems like a pointless feature as most of use a have been using MSN Messenger for a while and have gotten used to enter sending the message. Surely with a little time, you will adapt too?
09-15-2004 02:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
where's the "NO" option?
"Enter sends, everyone knows that."
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I guess it just seems like a pointless feature as most of use a have been using MSN Messenger for a while and have gotten used to enter sending the message.
Most bigger messengers, like Trillian, allow for it, and it's not all that "under"-used. =/
09-15-2004 04:32 PM
QWasson

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message
quote:
The trouble is, where do you draw the line? Are we to make all the keys mappable? MSN uses Enter to send the message. Are there ways to change the keys in these other programs then?

Many other programs have a facility to remap keys.  If you add a framework that reads input, looks up what that input does and then acts upon it, any keys can be remapped to anything.  Layers of indirection are the best ;)

quote:
I guess it just seems like a pointless feature as most of use a have been using MSN Messenger for a while and have gotten used to enter sending the message. Surely with a little time, you will adapt too?

To a lot of people it will be pointless. But as someone who was using ICQ, which uses ctrl-enter, for 3 years before I started using MSN through Trillian and Gaim (also configured to use ctrl-enter) for another year or so, I've become somewhat set in my ways.  Having the option to have enter, or ctrl-enter, or whatever send the message means everyone gets the configuration they want
09-15-2004 04:41 PM
ahtuin

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
thats a completely pointless option, everyone uses the enter key,

Is just remotely possible that everyone uses the Enter key (in Messenger) because that is the only way of doing it at present?
Pressing another key just wouldn't work.  Would it?

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
it's the first time this is suggested, it's like it's almost never gonna be used

There was a first time that someone suggested carying passengers in an aeroplane.  That also was regarded as controversial, and dangerous, at the time.  I get the impression that it caught on in time though.  :fire:

On a slightly less controversial note -   I use, and have used, other IM programs that offer the choice.  I personally am more accustomed to using Ctrl+Enter to send messages.  Hence I personally would like the opportunity to do things in Messenger the way I am used to.
I am also equally willing to allow others the chance to do things the way they are used to doing them.
09-15-2004 05:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
Shouldnt this be more a microsoft thing than a messenger plus thing.
Patchou has already said no to this so unless you want to ask bill or make your own addon then i doubt its going to happen
09-15-2004 06:45 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: