What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Toll roads

Toll roads
Author: Message:
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. Undecided  Toll roads
If you pay £X a year road tax for using all types of roads, then why should you have to pay extra to go on a road with less traffic? Isn’t it a case for rich people can get from a to b faster then the poor?

Here in the UK, we have one which is being extended. The temptation to pay £2 just to go the same direction as a "free" road is great, but as i disagree with the amount of tax road users pay, it would be hypocritical for me to do so.

I know in France all motorways are tolled, I don’t understand how the taxing system for road users works over there though. So an explanation about any countries roads would be nice. :D

Blah.... just needed that rant. :P
09-19-2004 01:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Toll roads
Toll roads suck. That's why we don't have them :D
[Image: signature.php]
09-19-2004 02:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
Buy a 4x4 then you dont need roads :P
The only reason they're doing it is so they can squeze even more cash out of people.
Then waste it by going to help George Bush's personal vendeta's, and other asorted money wasting ideas.
09-19-2004 02:15 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I think they're quite good, the whole idea of getting rid of traffic jams is like heaven to road-users.. and the kids sat in the back as bored as hell not sitting there for long... I say, toll until they get their money back, then free for everyone.. the route you want to take is up to you.
09-19-2004 02:21 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I think in the US it's either that one doesnt pay road tax, and the tolls act as road tax, therefore you pay more depending on how much road you use.

Or that you only pay tax when you cross the state line.

The M6 Toll was made for entirely different reasons, the idea is that it eases a lot of traffic of the heavily congested M6. If it was free then it wouldnt really make much of a difference traffic wise. Since te M6 Toll is not a neccessary road, it isnt paid for by the road tax
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
09-19-2004 02:38 PM
timmie_loots

Forum Ere Lid

34 / Male / –
RE: RE: Toll roads
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
Buy a 4x4 then you dont need roads :P
The only reason they're doing it is so they can squeze even more cash out of people.
Then waste it by going to help George Bush's personal vendeta's, and other asorted money wasting ideas.

A-men!
[Image: timmie_loots.png]
09-19-2004 02:49 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Toll roads
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
he M6 Toll was made for entirely different reasons, the idea is that it eases a lot of traffic of the heavily congested M6. If it was free then it wouldnt really make much of a difference traffic wise.
If I wanted to by-pass birmingham, I'd use the M6 Toll, if i wanted to go to birmingham, I would use the M6.

How wouold it being free not help congestion, for birmingham anyway?
09-19-2004 03:49 PM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Old post revival again! (And still valid, so no locking :P)

Toll roads are good, if you can pay, and if you want to pay. But thats only if there is an alternative route from A to B, which is usually the case. But however, toll roads becoming free roads can decrease congestion by a tonne, and is something I rather have.

TORONTOIAN EXAMPLE: Hwy. 407 - My mom only takes it to the airport :P. It would be really nice if it was free as if we go right down Bathurst, and go on the 407, I can get to get to the Costco at Woodbine/7, and other places near/south of Hwy 7.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6555 days, 23 hours, 20 minutes, 10 seconds ago.

02-06-2007 10:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: