What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » [Bug] Contacts on desktop

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[Bug] Contacts on desktop
Author: Message:
k776

– / Male / –
O.P. [Bug] Contacts on desktop
This I think is the only 2 bugs I can find:

Sometimes when MSN closes incorrectly, or you right click msn contact window in the taskbar then close it with certain windows open it can do two things:

1) Make the contacts on the desctop disappear, then reappear once you open the msn contacts window again

2) Make them not be on top of everything even though they are on always on top. The only way to fix it is to right click, undo show on top, then redo show on top.

It happening to me right now.
[Image: k776.jpg]
09-20-2004 04:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: [Bug] Contacts on desktop
Can you elaborate on the way you make Messenger close to cause these problems?
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-20-2004 05:12 AM
k776

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: [Bug] Contacts on desktop
well, not really, it just preforms an illegal operation. I have found another way it happens:

make one of them display on the top of something, right click the task bar and click show the desktop. The right click msn in the system tray and close. Then open it again, youll find they are still ticked but they dont show on top. (this only happens ocassionally though, keep repeating these steps till it works (it does it on mine 80% of the time))

This exact type of thing happens when msn has an illgal operation and it refreshes the screen after asking if you want to send error report.

This post was edited on 09-20-2004 at 05:39 AM by k776.
[Image: k776.jpg]
09-20-2004 05:35 AM
MoRiA

Web2Messenger Creator

37 / Male / –
I was just about to post this same thing. I had it caused by putting the computer into standby then resuming it. I thought they had vanished completely until I minimised all windows and found them..
09-20-2004 08:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Skillumination

33 / Male / –
What happened to me was..

I left the computer on, I had 6 contacts on my desktop, and I assume my sister signed me out.. I just signed back on, and I thought my contacts on the desktop had gone. I only noticed they were still there when I clicked on the Messenger! Plus icon next to one of the contacts that were on my desktop before, it said "Remove from desktop". So then.. I clicked the show desktop icon on my quick launch bar, and then I saw the contacts again. I opened up my Internet Explorer window and they went underneath, even though they were supposed to show over it. As k776 said, I had to untick "Always on top" and retick it to make all 6 of the contacts reappear above everything.

edit:

Software:
MSN Messenger 6.2.0137
Windows XP Home
Messenger Plus! 3.20.0100

This post was edited on 09-20-2004 at 02:02 PM by Skillumination.
09-20-2004 01:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Can you elaborate on the way you make Messenger close to cause these problems?

When a contact is moved to the desktop, only the keys Detach and Email are created in the ....\CtcDetach\<contact_email> tree.

It is only when you sign out that the rest of the keys are created. Thus if an error occures (or something else for that matter) in the main time, the rest of the keys aren't created... and thus the next time you sign in, the floating contact is not put "on top", although the menuitem is checked*....

* This also means that the keys aren't read properly for that individual contact, but instead the systemdefault ones are read, no? eg: Even if AlwaysOnTop doesn't exist for that individual contact, it shouldn't using the systemdefault value.

sorry if I'm wrong

EDIT: related bugreport I believe: tomfletcherman's reply to [split] saving location of desktop contacts?

This post was edited on 09-20-2004 at 05:18 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-20-2004 02:05 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
The reg keys are not created because, as for every other key in Plus!, they default to some values automatically (and always on top is a default).

I'll check out this bug and I'll release a patch soon,sorry for the inconvinience.

This post was edited on 09-20-2004 at 11:15 PM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-20-2004 06:43 PM
Skillumination

33 / Male / –
This is strange... I just signed out of my brother's account, and I just signed into mine, and the contaccts on the desktop were on top. It's a good thing, but it's strange since it didn't happen before :P. By the way.. I really love this feature. I think it's one of the best features.

edit:

I just came home from school.. nobody was signed in, I signed in, and the contacts on the desktop were below everything again. Like before, I had to untick "Always on top" and retick it for each of the contacts for it to be ontop of everything again.

This post was edited on 09-21-2004 at 05:51 AM by Skillumination.
09-20-2004 10:32 PM
BEWARE^^

I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Re

37 / Other / –
i never had this problem before :S and i still dont have this problem :)
[Image: .jpg]
if you need help with unrealircd tell me and i will help ya out.
09-21-2004 09:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ryster092

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
i never had this problem before :S and i still dont have this problem :)
What a thoroughly useful contribution to this bug report you have made ;-)

Im getting this problem too.  Last night I created 6 contacts on the desktop, then closed my messenger normally, then logged back on and created a few more.  They were all set to Always On Top when I created them.  However as I dragged a window over them,  only the ones I had just created were being displayed always on top.  the ones before the restart of messenger were not on top.  Unticking the always on top option and then re-ticking it puts them back onto again.
09-21-2004 08:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: